Coin values

John Madill

Elite Member
I'm assuming most coins, other than gold and silver, often come out of the ground looking pretty rough.

A quick online search showed Indian Head Pennies, Buffalo Nickels, Wheat pennies, often have low prices when in average condition and i suspect most of what we find falls below that. Like the penny pictured here which i found last fall.

Does anything in this condition ever have higher value due to rareness?

Attachments

• 1941.wheat.penny.jpg
    1941.wheat.penny.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 490
I'm assuming most coins, other than gold and silver, often come out of the ground looking pretty rough.

A quick online search showed Indian Head Pennies, Buffalo Nickels, Wheat pennies, often have low prices when in average condition and i suspect most of what we find falls below that. Like the penny pictured here which i found last fall.

Does anything in this condition ever have higher value due to rareness?

Say that you found a 1916 d merc. There are so few out there that even if it was from the ground, people would pay a few hundred for that rare coin.

But most are just for keeping. Would you rather have the excitement digging up one or going to flea bay and buying one for 13 cents? :lol:

In the coin world, the condition is a key role. But while detecting, I think most of us do it for the fresh air and occasional heart stopper. :D :yes:

Josh

Even fairly rare coins that look good to the naked eye have miniscule scratches that greatly degrade the value to collectors. The grading places will give them a grade and then a notation " Environmentally Damaged " The extremely rare coins that have been dug will still bring a good price but well below the same coin that was not dug.

Thanks guys....
My question probably stems from greed.
I got silver fever last week when i found my first silver quarter.
The temptation in parks for me is to go in notching out most numbers and concentrating on silver, on a trial basis.

I'll probably give it a try and save my gold search for the beach.

Back
Top Bottom