Cool piece of iron

grf1868

8d4b6525b87ecac5559a2c9913d99729.jpg

Dug this up the other day, no clue what it is, at first I thought part of a door knocker but that doesn’t seem likely as there are three posts on the back and I can’t see anyone drilling holes like that into their new door for a knocker. And it only has one screw hole up at the top, not a real secure way to attach something that’s going to be banged on. Then maybe one of those things you put under a hot plate to protect a table but it’s small for that and then what’s the screw hole for? The site I found this at has given up coins from 1848-1956 and disappears from maps mid 1960’s no cellar hole just some concrete steps in the middle of nowhere.
a898988798cd4f7f09b952c62dd01ed7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad Iron rest. Back in the day, people used to have to take a shaped chunk of iron, with a handle, and use it to iron their clothing by resting the iron in the hot coals, and then run the heated metal over clothing. Such irons were called "sad irons" and when you set them down, you had to set them on something to prevent the heated metal from scorching a surface. hence the sad iron holder.
Noting the small size, it was probably a toy replica of Mama's!
Sage(yeah, I'd be sad, too!)Grouse

Agree with Sage, can also add my mother always had one for pots from the stove. I don't know if they have a different name as a kitchen item, but same purpose: to keep hot things off surfaces.

Nice job sage grouse. I think you nailed it. I googled it and found a few almost identical. I knew somebody had the answer, thanks

Thanks for the info grasshopper1955. The best part of finding stuff is learning the history behind things like this.

Never seen mount hole on a trivet, maybe re-purposed ?
Cast iron was very ornate and used on everything from machines to furniture

Back
Top Bottom