• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

White DFX Died

studioseven

I have a white DFX detector that has lost all power. Nothing on the display panel and no beeps. I purchased the detector in 2015. I did put fresh batteries in it. Do you think it is worth repairing? If so, which repair shop would you recommend? If you don't think it is worth repairing what would be a comparable model? Thank you for your help.

Duane Luneau

Check the battery connection

The contacts inside the detector can break, bend or corrode eliminating a suitable contact. The contacts are screwed/soldered to the motherboard.
I have replaced them on a couple e series in the past. Those detectors are very durable. If you want to send it out check out Warrens repair in Freeport Florida...

You bought it NEW in 2015? If you are doing well with it and it is producing results that you are happy with, ABSOLUTELY worth repairing. If it’s kind of “ho-hum” compared to people you might hunt with and you’re looking to try something different ANYWAY....then perhaps not. I totally agree with above, it’s a battery contact/voltage supply issue. Take a light and look down the compartment where the battery goes. Two spring steel contacts should be very visible. If you notice anything askew or missing, that’s your problem. You can try using contact cleaner and a long swab to clean any corrosion off of them if they are present and straight. Also clean the contact pads on the battery holder itself and if you’re using AA’s, make sure everything within the holder is intact and free of corrosion.

Whites discontinued the DFX in 2012. Whites went out of business last year and Garrett purchased their existing stock, current patents and the rights to their trademark, etc. Most of the Whites detectors I have owned were weak in the battery/power connection department. I agree with everyone so far....check all possible battery/power connections. Luckily the main circuit board is easy to get to as are the power connections an battery holder connections. If you have a second battery holder, try it too. If that doesn't solve it you might have a bad display/touchpad.

The DFX simultaneous multifrequency operation technology is very rudimentary. The display, especially the signagraph, were fantastic. The only comparable detectors from Whites are the V3 and V3i. The only other simultaneous multi frequency detectors made today are the Garrett Ace Apex (pretty good from what I have experienced) the Minelab Vanquish series which are excellent entry level detectors that detect way above their price, the Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 which are excellent intermediate detectors and the Minelab CTX 3030 and E-Trac which are still in production.

Don't forget the Fisher CZ's

I usually forget about the CZ-3D........just like I forget about most really old school FTP detectors. Great detector that I moved on from much like the DFX.

If the CZ-3D had a display like the DFX I would definitely own one. The CZ-3D has the salt and extreme ground switch which is what I always wanted on the DFX, but the DFX was always in salt compensation mode which really hurt its depth capabilities in moderate to high iron mineralization where I most often detect.........

it may be the push pad control panel on the screen. If you are good at tinkering you can take and open up the control box.

There is a copper electronic strip that comes from the handle and snaps into the circuit by way of a little clip.

You can take and be careful unlatching the clip in which the ribbon is attached and flip the ribbon over and put back into the clip.

Then take and hit the button completely opposite of the on and off switch on the little control panel and see if the unit turns on.

If it does you can try to call a Whites service center and buy an new control face.

It is just a big sticker that you can peel off of the meter and install the ribbon cable through the shaft back into the control panel in which it connects.

I have done this many times with MXT, XLT and DFX units.

It is a rather easy fix and is a common problem.

Also not to be rude at all but it may be a chance to upgrade to a newer unit.

If you find that it is too cumbersome to try and get going again, people do buy non working metal detectors.

You could try to sell it for parts and get a much lighter weight modern unit. Believe me, they are better, faster and deeper.

Back
Top Bottom