• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

.69 caliber ball?

Barneymartin3

Dug this ball not far from where a known Civil war battle took place. Looks to be .69 caliber but it doesn't have the "white" crusty appearance that I have seen on others but more of a dark brown crust. It was about 6 inches deep and had been fired (dented on one side). It weighs in at 411 grains.

Attachments

• 69 caliber ball.jpg
    69 caliber ball.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
I would invest in some calipers. They are not expensive and you can get some good measurements. They white patina you speak of can be affected by many things including soil condition. All civil war bullets will not have the white patina.

I have a circle template that measures the ball at about .688" 11/16. I will definitely obtain a digital caliper to get a more accurate reading then I will post that finding.

Last edited:
All the bullets I find in water do not have the white patina on them. Great find you have there. 69’s usually give a great signal. Congrats.

CW period 69 cal at 411 grains was used for US Smooth Bore and also artillery case shot. The dent and no rifling marks may indicate its case shot. The bullets we find in pine forests in our area always have the brown crust as well.

Thanks for the info Fredneck. Yes it is possible it could have been case shot. Definitely no rifling to be seen but some small scrape marks are noticeable. There was cannons used at the site for 4 days during the short battle. The ball was found approx. 150 to 200 yards behind the Confederate encampment.

Not sure where you are so this might not apply but .69 was also the ball size used by the British regulars in a brown bess.

Back
Top Bottom