What was this horn for?

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Stopped at a big yard sale and picked this up for $2. I thought it might be a hearing horn but it doesn't amplify sound.

Besides this interesting object, I got permission to come back and detect the yard :D

Attachments

• DSCN4578.JPG
    DSCN4578.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSCN4579.JPG
    DSCN4579.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCN4580.JPG
    DSCN4580.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 268
That would be my guess. Someone put a mouth piece on it and made a horn from a horn. Pretty neat.

I have one like it, without the decoration. I can make a pretty loud sound with it, just like blowing a trumpet.

Thanks for the replies on this. So it's a blowing horn or a moose call. I don't know how to blow a trumpet but it amplifies the noise if purse your lips and make a razzing sound. I won't have much use for it. If I can get the flowers off my husband might want it for his garage/man cave.

Some hunters had those horns to call their dogs. Uncle Fox hunted in the hills of Wv and that is how he called his dogs when he was ready to quit for the night.

Some hunters had those horns to call their dogs. Uncle Fox hunted in the hills of Wv and that is how he called his dogs when he was ready to quit for the night.

Yep I grew up in Louisiana and that’s what we used to “run” the dogs with. You used it to get them excited.

Back
Top Bottom