Three machines give different readings.....

John Madill

Elite Member
This morning i made some little cheat sheets to affix to my detectors to get a better handle on what some things ring in at.

It is especially confusing because one has target numbers that go to 40, another to 99 and the third to 199.

So after putting the tags on the machines and cleaning out the sand from the car from a recent beach trip, i decided to swing the Simplex+ in the yard.

I immediately got a signal ringing in at 71-73. Consistent from all angles. My cheat sheet indicated it could be a penny.

Just before i started to dig i thought i would check it with my Vanquish 540 and BH Discovery 3300. With all 3 detectors i varied the modes and included all metal.

Both the Discovery and Vanquish gave it very low numbers. So I dug it up and found a very rusty bottle cap. Out of the ground the Simplex+ started to give it high 90's, occasionally dipping into the 30's.

Why such a difference between machines?

It is official, i now have a plethora of detectors. i love that word Plethora, it means a lot to me.

Attachments

• post.numbers.jpg
    post.numbers.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 496
Thanks Jordan. I took the Vanquish out with the little cheat sheet. Went to the site of an old manufacturing plant that was torn down years ago.
The few times i went there the area i chose was very hard to dig, quite rocky.
Today i googled some old aerial photos. They showed i was digging in an area where one of the buildings stood and also some paved parking.

I made note of the areas that had lawns and went back today. Got a couple of signals whose numbers indicated a possible dime. And i was happy to find they were dimes.
Next time i will take the Simplex+.

Numbers on all detectors are a good clue to what you're on but are not 100% to any model. Best practice is get used to the tones and noises and use the number as a slight confirmation. I've dug coins with no number and I've dug plenty of iron that said silver. It helps, but anything involving RF is considered theory for a reason 😅

Different detectors use different technology to achieve their goal. So different machines will give different numbers.

3 detectors, 3 different results........ normal, the key is knowing what the detector is telling you. Having to many detectors makes things difficult. I am a serious old coin hunter, so I will only have 2 detectors .......my go to and another detector that complements it.

Yea, using various detectors does get confusing at times. I tend to use the F75, Liberator, and Sharpshooter 2 regularly, but lately find myself reaching for the Fisher more often than not. If I'm gonna' use one of the others I usually skim the manual prior to use, but I like your idea of the tags. It would sure help for those times when a "detectorless": someone wants to go along. As far as the differences in VDI, I would have to guess that each machine is subject to its own unique software design.

I sure wouldn't mind a close up picture of the Vanquish cheat sheet, as I'm trying to learn mine at the moment. (Numbers being a guide, but mainly learning the tones was helpful advice on this thread, as well.)

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, $650.00+ in clad coins, some silver coins & jewelry, a few gold [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom