What scoop do you use?

Muskrat

I am looking to purchase a scoop upgrade this week and I'm wondering what brand/size is your go-to scoop. I'm sick and tired of looking over my shoulder for big ones and scooping like a madman on the surf line with my hand scoop:lol:

My go to scoop's

Are swapping between Xtreme & Sunspot , I use both , but if I were to buy again it would be Xtreme, currently making not only 304 stainless , but in 316 stainless & now offering Titanium , happy hunting. Ps he added a 2nd carbon fiber handle choice , I bought the Anderson, but he now also sells a Trident textured grip cf handle 1 inch longer , happy hunting.

Don't get THE KOB going on scoops again !!!

But really , I've owned more scoops than detectors. So.... 316 S.S is far superior than 304. Google it. Many companies DO NOT make them with 316 , despite some claims. The Trident C.F shaft is not only a little thicker , but also the diameter is a hair larger. Be careful as to what scoop you put this on , you may need to modify it. There are some scoops with wire mesh and a ring/plate on the bottom for using your foot. Hole patterns tend to lose smaller items but also sifts easier. Diameter is small for me. Good scoops except for the longevity. Weak point is the welding on the smaller wire mesh will break down over time , causing bucket collapse.
Don't want to get into specific makers as their tail ends are sore from facts. The more you spend , the better the scoop.

Kob

Both the Anderson & Trident CF handle's are custom made to fit Xtreme scoops , don't know about other brands . He also has a SS bolt , SS washer , that locks down the end of the handle to head , besides the goose neck quick release at the bottom of the CF handle , a nice added feature and it"s tapered at a 20 degree angle.

I have the Stealth 720i and the Stavr Evroexcavator 2v.
22. Both are strong and built well. I usually hunt with the Stavr because it feels more manageable in my hands. The Stealth, however, takes a bigger, deeper cut. When I'm dumping the wet sand from my scoop it seems to come out of the Stavr a little easier. GL & HH! :yes:

Mine is an el cheapo we found at a detector store once near the beach. Much like this one. Handheld, not a big shovel handle thing like on a lot of them.

image;s=400x0

You can’t beet the price Stavr charges for his scoops. They are made very well. I have and use two ....one I’ve had at least 7 years. Just do some research as to what you need for conditions you are hunting. Get the wrong one or not use it right and I can tell you physically you will know it lol

Tom

Your a welder , stainless steel , or Aluminum , or both , I did not see a close up of the cuff, if it's welded or bolted , or the grab handle .

Your a welder , stainless steel , or Aluminum , or both , I did not see a close up of the cuff, if it's welded or bolted , or the grab handle .

Good questions. I used stainless steel long-handled scoop to start with. And modified starting with that.

The pistol grip has to be welded on. Which is no easy task, as you know, to weld stainless. I also added more holes in the duck bill to lighten it up. And as you know: Drilling holes in stainless steel is no easy task . You have to have special drill-bits. And even then ... it wears out expensive bits.

As for the arm-cuff location : 2 holes drilled in the stainless steel rod, to make a spot to attach the arm-cuff. The arm-cuff itself is not stainless. That's just regular thick gauge sheet metal, that you can cut and bend to shape. And then, as you can see, I made a bailing wire bridge, over the top of the cuff, that I can slip my arm in-&-out-of.

If you're going to be hunting salt water, then stainless steel is the way to go. Despite it being 3x or 4x more expensive for the raw scoop and rod. Because if you get regular metal, and if you spend a lot of time in the wet salt, then your rig will eventually rot away with rust. Unless you are going to carefully be sure to rinse it off with fresh water after each usage.

Also I noticed that on regular metal non-stainless, that the duck-bill tended to get bent up (if you're on rocky beaches). Versus stainless which keeps its shape better, because it's harder.

I do have a non-stainless rig, With this style arm-cuff mod on it. That I use as a back-up or a loaner. But that was just because I had it lying around, and just did some hole-drilling and adding the pistol grip. Just to have a spare around.

.... I did not see a close up of the cuff, if it's welded or bolted , or the grab handle .

The "grab handle" (pistol grip) is shown at the start of the video. You might have to pause it, to get a still-photo look at the weld.

And as for the way the cuff is attached: Two holes drilled into the rod. The the cuff is held to the rod with carriage-bolt style top.

Looks like you were a little younger there Tom ! That scoop ain't gonna work in hard sand beaches. Not pulling it back with that arm cuff. Good dry sand scoop. Don't forget to tell people that stainless is much heavier Tom. Duck tip scoops = not good in hardpack. I need a point that will bite into the sand. Not one that's going to make my ankle roll.

....That scoop ain't gonna work in hard sand beaches. .... Good dry sand scoop. ....

Not sure what you mean by "hard sand". Do you mean wet-packed ? If so: I use it in hard-packed wet sand all the time. But if it's super-hard rocky pack, then yes: A short-handled scoop allows for more down-stroke force. But ... with more bending over all-day. But for normal wet sand inter-tidal zone pack: I use this all the time. There was several clips of it being used on wet sand in the video, as you see ...... no problem.

I have a T Rex but wish I got it with the half inch holes.
I also had a scoop like the rtg 5 inch with wire basket .That one worked pretty well.
I will buy a Stavr euroexcavator when possible.

Back
Top Bottom