Minelab vanquish 340!

There is no ground balance button, setting or even mention of ground balance in the Vanquish user manuals. Like Toy Soldier said, simultaneous multi frequency operation requires that two or more optimal ground balance points from two or more frequencies in use have to be automatically processed and averaged in order for the detector to arrive at one optimal ground balance setting. If I remember right, even the Etrac (could be the CTX......) only has a normal and difficult ground balance setting adjustment. The Vanquish does not have a threshold based All Metal mode. It does not have single frequency operation either. All of its modes are discrimination modes that use simultaneous multi frequencies. So, ground balancing is done automatically in the background.

The fact that the Equinox has several user friendly ground balancing options is a real plus for difficult ground operation and is one of the reasons I own two. For gold prospecting in really bad ground using the Gold modes, it is truly amazing.

Jeff

....simultaneous multi frequency operation requires that two or more optimal ground balance points from two or more frequencies in use have to be automatically processed and averaged in order for the detector to arrive at one optimal ground balance setting.....

Well stated.

The multi IQ is why I picked up the Vanquish 540 propack. Great to keep in my truck on days that will allow. It came with 2 good size coils and nice headphones. It has came locks like the Deus or ORX does and packs nicely. It will make a great loaner due to being turn on and go with amazing performance..

The multi IQ is why I picked up the Vanquish 540 propack. Great to keep in my truck on days that will allow. It came with 2 good size coils and nice headphones. It has came locks like the Deus or ORX does and packs nicely. It will make a great loaner due to being turn on and go with amazing performance..

Sounds good to me. I think there is 2 decent detectors comming out/just arrived. The Vanquish and that Simplex+. The latter looks pretty cool too. I think either will make a good loaner and second or backup unit. For the $ . Only the 500 bucks for the Vanquish pro pack is getting close to some nice mid level machines that are proven. Or should I say well liked?

jmaclen said:
There is no ground balance button, setting or even mention of ground balance in the Vanquish user manuals. Like Toy Soldier said, simultaneous multi frequency operation requires that two or more optimal ground balance points from two or more frequencies in use have to be automatically processed and averaged in order for the detector to arrive at one optimal ground balance setting. If I remember right, even the Etrac (could be the CTX......) only has a normal and difficult ground balance setting adjustment. The Vanquish does not have a threshold based All Metal mode. It does not have single frequency operation either. All of its modes are discrimination modes that use simultaneous multi frequencies. So, ground balancing is done automatically in the background.

The fact that the Equinox has several user friendly ground balancing options is a real plus for difficult ground operation and is one of the reasons I own two. For gold prospecting in really bad ground using the Gold modes, it is truly amazing.

Jeff
Good reply, Jeff, and it was the new Vanquish I was mainly referring to.

That said, most other manufacturers provide some sort of Ground Balance reference number or description the user can view. That helps indicate or suggest a comparative GB setting being used. However, quite a few show a GB number, such as a default '90.0' with a Simplex+ or '83.0' with an MXT Pro or '90.0' with a T2+ for examples. The users at least have an idea of what the GB reference number is for the All Metal mode, or an All Metal based Pinpoint mode/function.

But one issue I have encountered is that with some makes and models, this in not a working GB reference or setting for the motion-based Discriminate mode. I have checked out quite a few detectors that provide a manual GB adjustment, but using manual GB does NOT have an effect on the Disc. mode.

In other words, when activating the manual GB function, the detector resorts to a true All Metal mode and the GB is achieved there. But manual adjustment is not capable in the Discriminate mode, or at least not fully functional. Some makes might have a narrow window of GB change, but there are models that rely on a fixed, or maybe 'regulated' GB in the Disc. mode. That's why I have long favored using a detector that allows ME to be the one in control of the functioning Ground Balance in a search mode of choice.

Will some Equinox or Vanquish user do me, or us, a favor and perform one test. Get 2 US Silver Dollars, or 3 or 4, and maybe 2 Silver Half-Dollars. Sweep over them with your favorite coil and settings, individually, and note the audio and VDI response. Sweep directly over them with the center-axis of the search coil.

THEN, stack at least 2 Silver Dollars and 2 Silver Halves ... all touching and not in a carded holder or plastic holder. Let the four coins be making physical contact. 2 Dollars and 2 Halves on top of them.

NEXT, sweep directly across that short-stack of Silver Coins and listen to the audio response and glance at the VDI visual read-out.

FINALLY, report back with an honest report of that comparison. Can't fib because others with the same detector can use the same coins and should have comparable results.

Just use the Multi IQ function because that's all the Vanquish allows. For fun you can select a single frequency with the Equinox, but the big rave is the Simultaneous Multi-Frequency so give this one test a try with YOUR detector and report back.

I have detectors in my personal Outfit that will NOT give a good audible hit or visual lock-on to this test .... but I also have some models that will give a very good audible and visual report. The key point to this test is to help a detector user know how the unit performs based on that mode's Ground Balance setting ... #1, and possibly a Discriminate setting for some models that have a Disc./GB design glitch. There have been some through the years.

Now, back to what I was working on.

Monte

Very interesting test Monte. Thanks for requesting it.

I don't have a Vanquish. I used an Equinox 600, 11" DD coil in Park 1 with all target ID segments accepted -9 to +40 with GB at 4, sensitivity at 15 of 25, 5 tones, recovery speed 3, iron bias 1, multi frequency.

Used a 1892 and a 1921 silver dollar and a 1940 and a 1942 silver half dollar.

Two silver dollars stacked: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones
Two silver half dollars stacked: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones
Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID -9 to -6 iron grunt low tones with the center of the DD coil directly over the coins....... +30 to +40 at the edges of the DD coil

I broke your rules and stacked the silver dollars on the half dollars: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones.

Used your original scenario with the same settings except single frequencies

5kHz Two silver dollars or half dollars separately: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones
5kHz Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID +39 to +40 high tones

10kHz Two silver dollars or two half dollars separately: numerical target ID +39 to +40 high tones
10kHz Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID all over the place along with multiple tones.

15kHz Two silver dollars or two half dollars separately: numerical target ID +26 to +40
15kHz Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID -9 to -6 directly over the coins with iron grunt low tones, +20 to +40 at the edge of the DD coil with medium to high tones.

Just for fun I tried my loaner a Teknetics Minuteman 7.8kHz with 8" concentric coil. Aside from overloading it had no problem with any scenario and correctly detected with 95 to 99 numerical target IDs and high tones with no iron grunts (I had iron volume on).

So, along with the limitations of DD coils for this test, did I just experience silver wrap around with the Equinox?
thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
It's similar with a roll of coppers etc, and happens on many detectors.
Some detectors have certain parts of the scale near or around the ground zone nulled out for usability reasons, the Deus for example, and others like the AKA Signum allow you to expand or contract the ground zone to let in very high conductors that would fall into the ground zone. (and having ran my Signum this way for a long period i can tell you if found me nothing extra)
I have a simulated hoard of mixed copper some silver and bronze coins buried at elbow depth, wrapped tight together, and my Nox sings out on it.
But in reality it means little to 99% of the situations a hobby detectorists will find themselves in, if it did then the hoards containing of hundreds an thousands of silver and bronze coins would never be found, it's not worth sweating over IMHO.
Personally, I'm more interested in using the multi IQ strengths over other detectors, and for me that is going over old hunting grounds that have been hit hard with single freq detectors and picking up what they couldn't find.

For me it's multi IQ and a Deus or ORX. Multi IQ works amazing everywhere and the Deus and ORX are also in a league of their own. Me personally, I just don't see much else out there that does anything for me. I used a whites mxt from the time it was first made. Then the xlt and dfx .. then f75 t2 .. these were the long term detectors I used. I used everything whites, Fisher/Tek, tesoro, and Garrett made along with many of the makro/nokta , minelab, XP detectors and more. This new tech multi IQ has replaced everything I've used in the past. For me it's that good.
What XP does for me is it compliments the multi IQ perfectly.

Very interesting test Monte. Thanks for requesting it.

I don't have a Vanquish. I used an Equinox 600, 11" DD coil in Park 1 with all target ID segments accepted -9 to +40 with GB at 4, sensitivity at 15 of 25, 5 tones, recovery speed 3, iron bias 1, multi frequency.

Used a 1892 and a 1921 silver dollar and a 1940 and a 1942 silver half dollar.

Two silver dollars stacked: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones
Two silver half dollars stacked: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones
Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID -9 to -6 iron grunt low tones with the center of the DD coil directly over the coins....... +30 to +40 at the edges of the DD coil

I broke your rules and stacked the silver dollars on the half dollars: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones.

Used your original scenario with the same settings except single frequencies

5kHz Two silver dollars or half dollars separately: numerical target ID +39 to +40 with high tones
5kHz Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID +39 to +40 high tones

10kHz Two silver dollars or two half dollars separately: numerical target ID +39 to +40 high tones
10kHz Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID all over the place along with multiple tones.

15kHz Two silver dollars or two half dollars separately: numerical target ID +26 to +40
15kHz Two half dollars stacked on two silver dollars: numerical target ID -9 to -6 directly over the coins with iron grunt low tones, +20 to +40 at the edge of the DD coil with medium to high tones.

Just for fun I tried my loaner a Teknetics Minuteman 7.8kHz with 8" concentric coil. Aside from overloading it had no problem with any scenario and correctly detected with 95 to 99 numerical target IDs and high tones with no iron grunts (I had iron volume on).

So, along with the limitations of DD coils for this test, did I just experience silver wrap around with the Equinox?
thanks,
Jeff
98-99 with a high tone on teknetics is a sold iron false on all my teknetics,just saying

What a detector! For only $200! And it works in saltwater! Are you kidding me! Sweet! If I was starting out I would probably never need an upgrade!:shock:

this is true! Dankowski proclaimed was the "sleeper" of the line upon
introduction! heck they are all ''sleepers" outrageous performance for "short money!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom