Copper(ish) Whats-it.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
Found this near an old house that yielded a 1900 Barber dime, possibly a Civil War button - posting that tonight, too - a couple of wheaties, etc. Rang up a 79-82 on the AT Pro. The ring has a 1" o.d.

Attachments

• whatsit-1-1.jpg
    whatsit-1-1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 725
  • whatsit-1-2.jpg
    whatsit-1-2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 680
I think this is a thing for pulling shotgun shells from a shotgun if they get hung. I think if you clean it up, the three protrusions are actually hooks that will slide down on a shotgun shell rim. it would be sized for a particular gauge shot shell.

I think this is a thing for pulling shotgun shells from a shotgun if they get hung. I think if you clean it up, the three protrusions are actually hooks that will slide down on a shotgun shell rim. it would be sized for a particular gauge shot shell.

I agree!
i3sbY0Y

Great solve! I've never seen or heard of these. The description in Doug's link says that one(looks just like the one posted here) has the number 12 stamped on it.
So, K2gleaner, maybe yours has a gauge number on it? Very cool find!

Wow! I had forgotten about this thread I started until I saw the object on my desk tonight. Sorry about that! So cool. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks to your spot-on I.D., I did a little cleaning and basic research.
Cleaning revealed this text:

BRIDGEPORT
G. I. CO.
1174N

Bridgeport Gun Implement Company

I grabbed a 12ga shell and found its too small and then too big for 20. Assuming it's for a 16ga gun.

They seem to come in brass but this one is not (I think). It seems the ring was coated with something at one point.
2e66dc7c16b48cb10de0c49fe8f8a410.jpg
0c4b93bf9cd8ad7a24e312be50816c1b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PAS database holds 1,462,222 objects within 939,197 records yet there is only one record, shows they are not a common find even over this side of the pond?

I have never found one and I have never seen one found!

PAS:

"The Portable Antiquities Scheme is run by the British Museum and Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales to encourage the recording of archaeological objects found by members of the public in England and Wales.

Every year many thousands of archaeological objects are discovered, many of these by metal detector users, but also by people whilst out walking, gardening or going about their daily work.

Finds recorded with the Scheme help advance knowledge of the history and archaeology of England and Wales."

Thanks to your spot-on I.D., I did a little cleaning and basic research.
Cleaning revealed this text:

BRIDGEPORT
G. I. CO.
1174N

Bridgeport Gun Implement Company

I grabbed a 12ga shell and found its too small and then too big for 20. Assuming it's for a 16ga gun.

Nice. Now have a positive ID and maybe with a little more research a date range on when this company produced these.

I'll try. When I add the part number (as I read it), Google goes off-course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom