ebay coins

k2gleaner

Elite Member
So, this could be a humbling experience - to ask on THIS website about buying old coins on ebay. Truth be told, I have yet to find any coin older than a '44 Lincoln. :( My son seems to believe in the tooth fairy. He's got TWO under his pillow that I've forgotten to address... I thought it'd be neat to give him an old coin instead of any normal change. I ebayed some old coins like half-cents and half-dollars and found that some people start em off super-cheap.

I know nothing about coin values and wondered what you'd suggest I get for him - a kid with no expectation of monetary value (no need to be rare or silver). I think he'd just think it'd be cool to find.

So basically, I'm looking for an inexpensive coin that's not fake. What would you say?

I’d suggest going to a local coin dealer. Keep the money local and develop a relationship with the dealer.
Jim

Good call, Jim and amc_rulz. I should've mentioned, I plan on looking some up and/or pawn shops. I'm really not looking to spend any serious money on this.

You could work on getting him a set of coins. Off the top of my head, a set of coins from 1930 would be:

Wheat penny
Buffalo nickel
Mercury dime
Standing liberty quarter
Walking liberty half dollar
Peace dollar

I've never dug a Peace dollar, but my grandpa gave me one when I was a kid and it's my favorite coin.

I’d suggest going to a local coin dealer. Keep the money local and develop a relationship with the dealer.
My 2 centavos worth
Jim

Yup, they usually have a junk coin pile that you could score a few good coins for cheap... Usually you need to ask, as they are not on display though.

Local coin shows are a good place to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If there are, still waiting since 2010. Too much markup. Dealers seem amazed when I show ‘em the big box store prices. All in all, is it that bad to support the local economy?

Ebay coins

So, this could be a humbling experience - to ask on THIS website about buying old coins on ebay. Truth be told, I have yet to find any coin older than a '44 Lincoln. :( My son seems to believe in the tooth fairy. He's got TWO under his pillow that I've forgotten to address... I thought it'd be neat to give him an old coin instead of any normal change. I ebayed some old coins like half-cents and half-dollars and found that some people start em off super-cheap.

I know nothing about coin values and wondered what you'd suggest I get for him - a kid with no expectation of monetary value (no need to be rare or silver). I think he'd just think it'd be cool to find.

So basically, I'm looking for an inexpensive coin that's not fake. What would you say?

I pick up quite a few silver older USA/Philippines coins on there if you watch you can often get a good deal on some cool old designs. The coins from 1903-1912 were minted in the USA , the pesos from 1903-1906 are on the same blank as the Morgan dollar ,. The 1907-1912 peso is slightly smaller but also silver. If you watch the auctions that are almost over some time you can scoop up a great deal.

Check out coins from the Bahamas they have amazing designs. I got my wife a 50 cent piece from her birth year for a quarter at the lcs and it has a sea turtle on it... she loves turtles lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coin shop, compare prices before you buy. For instance, you should be able to pick up dateless buffalo nickels for a dime each, lower quality Indian head cents 75 cents to a dollar each, etc.

You can get a really nice condition common date Morgan dollar from the 1800s for under $25 from most local coin shops or gold and silver places.

You can get a really nice condition common date Morgan dollar from the 1800s for under $25 from most local coin shops or gold and silver places.

Hey, let's not get crazy here! :lol: The average tooth fairy payout these days is approaching five bucks, but like the OP says; "a kid with no expectation of monetary value". So to me, even five bucks is overkill.
I like the buffalo nickel idea, or maybe 2 or 3 older cheap coins, but make sure the dates are there. Numbers are important for kids that are learning.

Hey, let's not get crazy here! :lol: The average tooth fairy payout these days is approaching five bucks, but like the OP says; "a kid with no expectation of monetary value". So to me, even five bucks is overkill.
I like the buffalo nickel idea, or maybe 2 or 3 older cheap coins, but make sure the dates are there. Numbers are important for kids that are learning.

:lol::lol::lol:
Good point! I totally missed the mention of the tooth fairy. Tooth fairy budget is definitely higher these days but not $10+. A buffalo, V, Indian, etc. would be great choices.

get five or six Indian Head pennies. They are neat and not too expensive at a local dealer.

tell the dealer you do not want key dates.

A 1921 morgan silver dollar is impressive and under $30 dollars.

I would not recommend pawn shops. They pay as little as possible and demand premium prices for their MDSE. Some sellers on E-Bay sell Chinese manufactured fakes

Hey, let's not get crazy here! :lol: The average tooth fairy payout these days is approaching five bucks, but like the OP says; "a kid with no expectation of monetary value"...

Five bucks???? We are a family in the dark ages, for sure. I stick a dollar bill under that pillow and my wife thinks I'm over the top, seeing see the older siblings got a quarter!

None of them have ever believed in Santa, nor the Easter Bunny, etc., yet possible the tooth fairy...weird.

Back
Top Bottom