Spurs

normx2

Elite Member
Found my third complete spur last week with my Bandido 2 Umax (top) but what surprises me most is the variety in sizes. The small part at the top had to be for a child. Spurs are always fun to find especially if they're not broken.:yes:

Last edited:
Spurs, and spur parts, are one of my favorite relics to finds. They conjur up images of the wild-wild west :cool3:

Thanks Tom, that's true and they also conjur up thoughts of a personal nature like who wore them? when? military?? all part of the fun and mystery of detecting.

Cool! You know the thought about spurs in general that I think about when I see them? Were spurs functional or merely a fashion accessory marketed and sold by cobblers to the equine ignorant? Did a battle horse need a spurring to make it charge into the fire? I suppose, seeings how most horses are smarter than most Humans, by NOT wearing spurs and relying on your horses better judgement of the situation would probably have been a better call...

I make this observation as some sort of 50yr casual cowboy, never once garnished with spurs and most of the time not even shoes or a saddle and half the time not even wearing any pants or a cowboy hat even!? But yeah...I can see foot mounted metallic spurs purpose if a guy was a Telephone lineman or a lumberjack, but not for the average horse riding Joe?

Regarding spurs, I submit for review the scene out of the original True Grit, the 1969 version dialog between Glen Campbell and Kim Darby...."People of your State gouge their horses with cruel brutal spurs and cultivate their hair like lettuce"...Spurs seem to be more of a fashion statement than functional?

Like in Midnight Cowboy?

So this is why I dont understand the need for spurs as a viable form of necessary equine accessories or even a form of hoofed quadruped accelerant?...Dont get me wrong, I dont like horses and dont trust them one lick, they will bite you, kick you, wipe you off on a tree like a booger, run off and leave you stranded way out in the hinterlands with no hat and no pants and no shoes... I do not enjoy being around them at all! Spurs dont seem to solve any of these behavioral problems..

I've known some smart horses..Big Wyoming native stock..we simply communicate a little bit before hand to understand each other..I show them my 357 in my shoulder holster, and they get the idea of what may happen if they try any shenanigans afield...No metallic heel incentives needed!

Although spurs certainly round out a fashionable ensemble in a NY city nightclub, combined with assless chaps and a vest and a bandana and a hat! Wont help you hail a cab though, so again, whats the purpose of spurs? ...:laughing:

Last edited:
Cool! You know the thought about spurs in general that I think about when I see them? Were spurs functional or merely a fashion accessory marketed and sold by cobblers to the equine ignorant? Did a battle horse need a spurring to make it charge into the fire? I suppose, seeings how most horses are smarter than most Humans, by NOT wearing spurs and relying on your horses better judgement of the situation would probably have been a better call...

I make this observation as some sort of 50yr casual cowboy, never once garnished with spurs and most of the time not even shoes or a saddle and half the time not even wearing any pants or a cowboy hat even!? But yeah...I can see foot mounted metallic spurs purpose if a guy was a Telephone lineman or a lumberjack, but not for the average horse riding Joe?

Regarding spurs, I submit for review the scene out of the original True Grit, the 1969 version dialog between Glen Campbell and Kim Darby...."People of your State gouge their horses with cruel brutal spurs and cultivate their hair like lettuce"...Spurs seem to be more of a fashion statement than functional?

Like in Midnight Cowboy?

So this is why I dont understand the need for spurs as a viable form of necessary equine accessories or even a form of hoofed quadruped accelerant?...Dont get me wrong, I dont like horses and dont trust them one lick, they will bite you, kick you, wipe you off on a tree like a booger, run off and leave you stranded way out in the hinterlands... I do not enjoy being around them at all! Spurs dont seem to solve any of these behavioral problems..

I've known some smart horses..Big Wyoming native stock..we simply communicate a little bit before hand to understand each other..I show them my 357 in my shoulder holster, and they get the idea of what may happen if they try any shenanigans afield...No metallic heel incentives needed!

Although spurs certainly round out a fashionable ensemble in a NY city nightclub, combined with assless chaps and a vest and a bandana and a hat! Wont help you hail a cab though, so again, whats the purpose of spurs? ...:laughing:

LMAO Mud, as would Geronimo if he ever caught any of his "Braves" wearing spurs!! Out of the teepee for sure.

Like in Midnight Cowboy?

So this is why I dont understand the need for spurs as a viable form of necessary equine accessories or even a form of hoofed quadruped accelerant?...Dont get me wrong, I dont like horses and dont trust them one lick, they will bite you, kick you, wipe you off on a tree like a booger, run off and leave you stranded way out in the hinterlands with no hat and no pants and no shoes... I do not enjoy being around them at all! Spurs dont seem to solve any of these behavioral problems..

Oh Mud: I can't tell you how much I enjoy your posts. Always good for a smile or even a hearty laugh. I do wear spurs. I ride at one of the local livestock auctions every week. Just for a little spare change between farming checks. About the seventh or eighth hour horseback, I change horses every two hours so their fresher and younger than I, it's nice to have a little help getting some hammer head to do what you need him to do when you need him to do it. Yes they are smarter than most people me included. The trick is knowing when to use them (spurs) and how much pressure is needed. Most riders don't. I also have a pair of ass-less chaps. Nothing cuts a 15 degree 40 mile-an-hour wind like a good layer of leather. I was raised in Saginasty Mi. Don't miss it. Wishing you a wonderful summer of hunting. Hay

Gouging your horse? That's insane. Haven't you ever wondered why spurs have roundels instead of actual spikes? It's because cowboys don't want to hurt their horse!

Spurs allow an experienced horseman to control the horse's movements using his feet while leaving his hands free to rope cattle or fire weapons, etc

Spurs have wheels that spin so you can rest your boot firmly against the horse's side and you roll the spur against his ribs. It certainly gets the horse's attention because, if anything, it tickles. It takes time to train a horse to understand spurs but its in no way cruel or even painful to a horse.

Back in the day, the only fashion part of the spur was the optional jingle-bob which is what made a spur give that jingle sound when you walk. Otherwise, a spur was just a utilitarian piece of equipment for your average cowboy.

And I'm not talking about rodeo cowboys. They do use spurs to make the animals buck but that's not what we're talking about here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Spur History

Gouging your horse? That's insane. Haven't you ever wondered why spurs have roundels instead of actual spikes? It's because cowboys don't want to hurt their horse!

Spurs allow an experienced horseman to control the horse's movements using his feet while leaving his hands free to rope cattle or fire weapons, etc

Spurs have wheels that spin so you can rest your boot firmly against the horse's side and you roll the spur against his ribs. It certainly gets the horse's attention because, if anything, it tickles. It takes time to train a horse to understand spurs but its in no way cruel or even painful to a horse.

Back in the day, the only fashion part of the spur was the optional jingle-bob which is what made a spur give that jingle sound when you walk. Otherwise, a spur was just a utilitarian piece of equipment for your average cowboy.

And I'm not talking about rodeo cowboys. They do use spurs to make the animals buck but that's not what we're talking about here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Good info History Student.

There's a ton of facts online about the history of spurs that go all the way back to the Celts for those of us that have an interest in facts.

I know that 2 of the complete spurs above that I found belonged to Union Soldiers from researching the location history in the OR's combined with the fact I found an Eagle "I" button and bullet mold within feet of the Spur.

History is why I metal detect and Civil War history specifically so being able to associate finds such as these spurs with timelines, places, and occasionally down to the actual unit or person (ID badges) that lost the artifact is rewarding for me and helps to justify (in my mind at least) spending too much money on detecting stuff:D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spur

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom