Celina Ohio Railroad button ????

Dan B.

Elite Member
Celina is an hour and a half south and west of where I live. I found this two-piece button but only the top. It is 20.2 MM in diameter or 0.80 in. I tried looking up Renown along with the name of the town and also added railroad buttons. I am stumped that I cannot find out anything on this I would appreciate your help thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_102035.jpg
    IMG_20190522_102035.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 225
The train engineers and others would have the traditional overalls and most would have a train locomotive on the face of the button. I would think yours, as HuntinDog said, would be work clothes, and the manufacturer put costume buttons on it for them.

Nice find, Dan! I agree with all of the above responses - it’s the button from work clothes/coveralls, most likely intended for a railroad worker. Railroading was, of course, big business in the late 1800s/early 1900s, so I imagine it was natural for work clothes manufacturers to cater to that industry with buttons that would appeal to rail workers. Plus, since railroading was hard work requiring rugged clothes, it would have been smart for clothing manufacturers to use railroad motifs to associate their clothes with that ruggedness for marketing purposes...”if it’s tough enough for a railwayman, it’ll be tough enough for you” kind of idea ;)

Anyway, I’ve found a few similar buttons now, and I’m confident that’s what they are. It’s interesting to see that several different work clothes manufacturers seem to have used the same basic button design with their own company names stamped into them - makes me wonder what company was providing all of the “button shells”! Below is a pick of the ones I’ve found, followed by a few from online to show similarities:

Attachments

• 3E1B6352-E4F5-4824-9EF0-17C342E4A5DF.jpg
    3E1B6352-E4F5-4824-9EF0-17C342E4A5DF.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 5-Railroad-Train-Pictorial-Overalls-Work-Clothes-Buttons.jpg
    5-Railroad-Train-Pictorial-Overalls-Work-Clothes-Buttons.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Niagara.jpg
    Niagara.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Oshkosh.jpg
    Oshkosh.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
I would call that a work clothes button.
You might try searching under work coveralls

The train engineers and others would have the traditional overalls and most would have a train locomotive on the face of the button. I would think yours, as HuntinDog said, would be work clothes, and the manufacturer put costume buttons on it for them.

Nice find, Dan! I agree with all of the above responses - it’s the button from work clothes/coveralls, most likely intended for a railroad worker. Railroading was, of course, big business in the late 1800s/early 1900s, so I imagine it was natural for work clothes manufacturers to cater to that industry with buttons that would appeal to rail workers. Plus, since railroading was hard work requiring rugged clothes, it would have been smart for clothing manufacturers to use railroad motifs to associate their clothes with that ruggedness for marketing purposes...”if it’s tough enough for a railwayman, it’ll be tough enough for you” kind of idea ;)

Anyway, I’ve found a few similar buttons now, and I’m confident that’s what they are. It’s interesting to see that several different work clothes manufacturers seem to have used the same basic button design with their own company names stamped into them - makes me wonder what company was providing all of the “button shells”! Below is a pick of the ones I’ve found, followed by a few from online to show similarities:

Thank you one and all!!

Back
Top Bottom