• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A fun day detecting with MTJosh - Stander, Sterling, Silvers!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I met MTJosh today in Missoula, we had a chance to detect for a few hours, and did well. I managed to get us 5 permissions, all old homes from about 1898 to 1915. Not huge front yards, but enough to have some good coins, all the yards produced wheat cents back into the teens. No 1909-S VDB this time for Josh!:lol:

Josh started the ball rolling with a Silver Rosie and Sterling bracelet in the first yard, while I pulled a 1935-D Buffalo Nickel as my best find, along with lots of wheat cents. Josh scored a Sterling Ring and Indian Head Cent in the next yard. That second yard produced the most WORN Standing Liberty Quarter I've ever found! Must have been rubbed a lot, or used a lot in the Great Depression era. The third yard had lots of copper memorials, and some wheat cents. The fourth yard produced another silver Rosie for Josh, and the fifth yard produced a nice Sterling Silver Catholic medallion and a large copper WHITEFISH MONTANA / GLACIER NATIONAL PARK souvenir coin for me. The last yard had a ton of children there in the past, and we pulled a fair amount of metal toy cars out of the front yard. A good time was had by both of us, thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 251
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 274
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 254
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 250
  • coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 253
  • buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 259
I believe that the SLQ is a type 1 because of the ponytail on lady liberty. That would put it at 1916 or 1917.

Congrats to you and Josh on another fine outing. Nice save on the SLQ and other goodies. Good luck, Mark

Thanks Mark!

I believe that the SLQ is a type 1 because of the ponytail on lady liberty. That would put it at 1916 or 1917.

Thank you, nice catch on this being a Type 1, the yard it came from was ca 1900 so that would make sense.

Congrats on all the finds especially for saving that SLQ from any additional wear and tear!

Hah! Thanks JAK! Yeah, more wear would just ruin that oldie!:lol: I had to really work for the SLQ... near a Hawthorne tree stump, TONS of wiry roots, it took some help from Josh and about 5 minutes to finally get that coin out.

Congrats on the great hunt David. You guys keep it up and there won't be any silver left to find in Missoula.

Congrats on the great hunt David. You guys keep it up and there won't be any silver left to find in Missoula.

Thanks Gale! Glad we both were able to get some goods. My buddy from Covallis MT was up there in a different part of town and scored 7 silvers, so they are going fast!:lol:

Great time as always. Nice to start the day off with Rosie as first target dug. Odd that 5 of the 6 wheats were from curb strips. Only one from yard permission. Though 4 of the 5 only 1-2" deep so other hunters passed on them probably. Then again the IHP was only 1-2"deep too. That SLQ you got was deep. It has been there a long time. Look forward to next time. Keep finding the silvers.

The one yard had toy cars everywhere. I stopped digging these iffy signals after I found two and David had at least 3-4. The home owner said previous owner had I think 11 kids. Looked at cars closer today. Both the ones I dug were Tootsie Toys. Always fun to find. This lid found in curb strip I saved to read it later. It is from Williams Holder Top Shaving Stick circa teens and 20's. Cool history.

Attachments

• tootsie.jpg
    tootsie.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 185
Always curious why some are so wiped. I suppose more circulation but also wonder if the ground make up plays into it. Great hunt as always and I need to find a killer finds backdrop like yours.

Congrats on all the great finds, David & Josh! :woot:

Thank you Wolf-Dog!

Great time as always. Nice to start the day off with Rosie as first target dug. Odd that 5 of the 6 wheats were from curb strips. Only one from yard permission. Though 4 of the 5 only 1-2" deep so other hunters passed on them probably. Then again the IHP was only 1-2"deep too. That SLQ you got was deep. It has been there a long time. Look forward to next time. Keep finding the silvers.

Yep, thanks Josh! That SLQ was a chore to pull out from under those nasty roots, thanks for the help!

You guys make a great silver tag team! Congrats!

Thank you NCtoad!

That silver bracelet looks cool. Lots of loot found.đź‘Ť

Thank you metal!

Great finds!

Thank you CalReg!

The one yard had toy cars everywhere. I stopped digging these iffy signals after I found two and David had at least 3-4. The home owner said previous owner had I think 11 kids. Looked at cars closer today. Both the ones I dug were Tootsie Toys. Always fun to find. This lid found in curb strip I saved to read it later. It is from Williams Holder Top Shaving Stick circa teens and 20's. Cool history.

Nice research Josh! That was a cool lid, and all those metal toy cars were kinda fun to pull out!

Always curious why some are so wiped. I suppose more circulation but also wonder if the ground make up plays into it. Great hunt as always and I need to find a killer finds backdrop like yours.

I think it was circulation and wear from during the great depression when money was just plain scarce.

Back
Top Bottom