• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Closed My Eyes and Faced the Sun…and the Sun Smiled Upon Me

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I have had a really rough last 2 weeks dealing with 2 issues. I needed to get out for a hunt to help me clear my mind and emotions a bit. Last night, I checked the “Surfline” app for the following morning and it said “FLAT”. Even though low tide was just after 6am, with good conditions it would be fine. I was out of my house at 6am but when I got to the beach, I noticed a significant amount of wind blowing that wasn’t blowing at my house. I checked the app again and again indicated it was OK, but when I checked the “MSW” app, it indicated worse conditions. I got to the beach, and it wasn’t the calm I was expecting, but it was workable so I went in. There were very few targets. The following is going to sound sappy and cheesy but it’s true. At over an hour into the hunt, the sun was out above the ocean and making my face warm. I closed my eyes and faced it and kept swinging. Within 5 seconds I get a tone in all-metal. I take one scoop and it’s empty. I move the knob to discriminate and hear a mid-tone. Another scoop and I look in the basket and :dingding:. I knew by its diminutive size, yet weighty feel that it was going to be the real deal. I only hunted for about 3.5 hours, as for the last half of the hunt, with the tide coming in, I began to feel that I was in an increasingly physically abusive relationship with the surf. :fear: One of the times I was slammed on the head by a large wave and I thought it had knocked off my very nice polarized Ray-Bans. I kept feeling all over my head for them, but they were gone and I got a little upset. :sadbye: It wasn’t until a few moments later that I realized I was still wearing them on my face. :doah: :lol:

At home, I check the ring which is completely unmarked. First the diamonds and they test real. Then I acid test it and it passes them all with flying colors, except the 22K test – so that baby is at least 18K. It’s a very little ring but it weighs in at a very nice 5.5 grs. The glasses I found I thought were going to be fake Ray-Bans, due to their lightness, are actually real but the lenses are in pretty bad condition despite the big abrasion on one of them that I may have caused. I will be having trigger finger surgery on my left hand on September 22nd so I may only have 1 or 2 hunts left for a while.

Attachments

• 9-21-21.jpg
    9-21-21.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 723
  • 9-12-21 Rings.jpg
    9-12-21 Rings.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 703
  • 9-12-21 Fits.jpg
    9-12-21 Fits.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 701
  • 9-12-21 ACID TEST.jpg
    9-12-21 ACID TEST.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
Nice Felix... you are worse than me leaving gold on that stone lol.... is that the finger the barracuda tried to remove? :yes:

Very nice and obvious higher karat gold ring. You don't wear a "floaties" strap for your glasses when water hunting ? Sorry about the loss of your little doggie companion. But more importantly , the recent loss of your Dad 😥. I may have to talk to you about the trigger finger as I'm concerned about that myself.

Nice Goldie👍, what happened to your pinkie? A shark bite there?
Nice Felix... you are worse than me leaving gold on that stone lol.... is that the finger the barracuda tried to remove? :yes:
It was a barracuda shark that looked like a miter saw. :lol: Happened when I was making a couple of wine cork boards. I was lucky I didn't take the finger off.

It was a barracuda shark that looked like a miter saw. :lol: Happened when I was making a couple of wine cork boards. I was lucky I didn't take the finger off.

Good job on the finger... who put the stitches in your wife? :lol:

Sweet little ring there boss!
Did you loose your dad and your pup? If that's true I am so sorry man, loosing people close to you is rough, and pets count as family too...

Congrats on the very nice gold ring. Someday I'd like to find another piece of gold.
The trigger finger surgery should bring you a lot of relief. It's really not much of a surgery and shouldn't put you out of commission for long. I had mine done in May (actually watched the surgery) had very little discomfort and was back out in a couple/three weeks, but I'm mostly a dirt hunter. Big trick for you will be to keep it dry until the wound is healed enough so a bit of water won't affect it. Maybe a couple latex gloves with rubber bands around the wrist? Be sure to work the finger so you keep it stretched out so you don't end up with a permanent limitation in range of motion. Best part after all is done is no more grief with the finger!! Good luck.

vert sorry for your losses Felix. we have last one under hospice now. the little pets give comfort when its needed too.. they are hard...

congrats on the gold!

wife has to get release on elbow but also two tendons repaired. but hospitals closed all surgeries here except life threatening.

i think i got a trigger finger, it clicks and sticks. but putting it off as long as possible.

i hope things let up on you. time heals man... get out and enjoy life, they would want you too....

I will be having trigger finger surgery on my left hand on September 22nd so I may only have 1 or 2 hunts left for a while.[/QUOTE]

Hey Felix ! Now I know why my fingers make that clicky poppy sound sometimes in the morning when I straighten them out.....Trigger Finger !! Man, learn all sorts of stuff here. Thanks !

Nice looking piece and very good color,,,,congrats on the high K,,,,,,,I think all I did was get beat around tonight,,,feel like I bounced between two walls for a couple hours it was so rough and strong current,,,gl hh

Thinking about the facing the sun business.....it makes sense. I always wonder if there is a bit of magic weaving it's way through our hobby. I haven't been able to tap into it much. I will start making a point of closing my eyes....following something other than my sense of sight. There will probably be injuries....but hopefully treasures as well ! "Man with metal detector falls in hole dug by beachgoers". That'll be the story.....but the last line will read, "reports indicate that he did indeed find a treasure.....when he came to".

The way you felt the sun and closed your eyes and kept swing can only mean one thing: the Force is strong in this one. You’re a cross between Luke Skywalker and David Caradine’s character in the Kung Fu series. Good hunting Grasshopper.

Back
Top Bottom