LUCKY to have my best find ever.

Fooleeze

I can't tell you how lucky I got today. I was out with a buddy today. We were detecting, but also looking for arrowheads and such. We spent some time in one field, and found a bunch of flakes and fragments. Didn't find anything of note with the detectors. We moved to another field permission. While crossing the field I got a faint, deep squeaky signal on my AT max. It was a high tone, but it pinpointed at 8-10 inches deep. I dug a plug and flipped it out. Fast forward to the target, it was a rusty nail in the side wall. But the find of my life was sitting in the plug staring right back at me...

IMG_20210508_212314~2.jpg

Somehow, by some miracle, my target brought me to this amazing native artifact, and I didn't chop it with my shovel. It is huge at about 3 inches in length. And it is beautiful!!! There's a chance it is a Hopewell point at 1500 yrs old, but I'm no expert. So excited to find this. Here are a few more pics for you. Morale of the story...always dig those nail signals, and dig a big enough plug!!!

PXL_20210508_180851471.jpg

PXL_20210509_012002013.jpg

I can't tell you how lucky I got today. I was out with a buddy today. We were detecting, but also looking for arrowheads and such. We spent some time in one field, and found a bunch of flakes and fragments. Didn't find anything of note with the detectors. We moved to another field permission. While crossing the field I got a faint, deep squeaky signal on my AT max. It was a high tone, but it pinpointed at 8-10 inches deep. I dug a plug and flipped it out. Fast forward to the target, it was a rusty nail in the side wall. But the find of my life was sitting in the plug staring right back at me...

View attachment 484430

Somehow, by some miracle, my target brought me to this amazing native artifact, and I didn't chop it with my shovel. It is huge at about 3 inches in length. And it is beautiful!!! There's a chance it is a Hopewell point at 1500 yrs old, but I'm no expert. So excited to find this. Here are a few more pics for you. Morale of the story...always dig those nail signals, and dig a big enough plug!!!

View attachment 484431

View attachment 484432

Okay. If you aren't aware of my finds grading scale, read my previous posts.

Grade: Ungradable. Once in a lifetime find, never going to top it again.

I would love to say congrats, but that would be an understatement. :lol:

Great!

Josh

Congrats on the nice arrowhead. Where I live the type name is Big Creek, and the type is extremely common. They are estimated to be of the mid to late Archaic time period. Late Archaic points can be rather tough to pin down on type because they exist over a wide geographic area, and most are made in similar way.

View attachment 484430

View attachment 484431

View attachment 484432

Im thinking thats a little too big for an arrow, must be a spear point?

Congrats on a great find. I’ve only found one arrowhead. It was a perfect bird point made of pink quartz. It was during a Boy Scout hike and it was laying on the surface. Sadly one of my fellow Scouts stole it from my pack.

But a couple of years ago I was metal detecting in Old Town on Amelia Island and was searching for a signal in a pile of dirt at a construction site and as I was delving through the soil and found this tiny bowl which I believe was carved from bone. One person has stated they believe it was a paint bowl used by native Americans while tattooing.

Attachments

• 674FA645-6334-485C-8525-4C4D1A0067A1.jpeg
    674FA645-6334-485C-8525-4C4D1A0067A1.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,171
  • E52C91A9-E3D6-4A08-ADE4-DEBDDC8A12A4.jpeg
    E52C91A9-E3D6-4A08-ADE4-DEBDDC8A12A4.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,172
  • EB4F047B-8474-40DF-A57F-1DFC8F0F7DBC.jpeg
    EB4F047B-8474-40DF-A57F-1DFC8F0F7DBC.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 2,194
Im thinking thats a little too big for an arrow, must be a spear point?

Yes, I intentionally avoided calling it an 'arrowhead' :) It's certainly a spear point or something larger like that.

But a couple of years ago I was metal detecting in Old Town on Amelia Island and was searching for a signal in a pile of dirt at a construction site and as I was delving through the soil and found this tiny bowl which I believe was carved from bone. One person has stated they believe it was a paint bowl used by native Americans while tattooing.

That little bowl is awesome, I love that!

Congrats on a great find. I’ve only found one arrowhead. It was a perfect bird point made of pink quartz. It was during a Boy Scout hike and it was laying on the surface. Sadly one of my fellow Scouts stole it from my pack.

So much for the first Boy Scout law… “A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful…”

R5

Back
Top Bottom