Do you use headphones?

tapir

I haven't figured out the advantage of headphones, since the tones from my machine are quite clear. They are also just one more thing to deal with during a hunt. Am I missing an advantage of using them?

I never hunt without headphones for several reasons.
1. Many detectors will produce whisper type signals for deep ones so they are easier to hear with headphones. Also can hear threshold breaks.
2. I don't attract as much attention from the general public when I am out since they cant hear my machine beeping away.
3. I like to hunt with other detectorists at times and I don't want the noise of my machine to compete with theirs.
4. Keeps me from having to answer a bunch of questions from onlookers, just act like I can't hear them due to the headphones.

Those are just off the top of my head but I am sure there are more.

Some people don't prefer headphones. However, they play a few roles.

If you hunt in an area with high background noises (car traffic, lawnmower, airplanes, etc.), then they do help you hear your machine through the other pollution.

When hunting in parks around John Q. Public they prevent the noise from your detector from bothering others....and some detectors are quite loud. Also prevents (some) people from coming over and asking questions.

Finally, even without a proportional audio feature, there are small blips that I've found can be hard to hear without headphones.

However, they're not a requirement and some people don't wear them. It's your choice. Personally, I don't like hunting without them. Feels sort of like I'm not wearing my seatbelt. :lol:

It's not only tones that you're listening for, it's nuances in the tone. Is it a solid tone? Or is it broken up and scratchy? Also, when the threshold drops out you have passed the coil over something that is being discriminated. Since we know that nickels and rings often live in the same ranges as pulltabs we might want to take a closer look at targets that are being discriminated. If you're not using headphones then you're probably missing some deeper, fainter targets as well.

I would not hunt without headphones, must have for those deep very faint targets masked in iron

Minelab CTX Dirty30-Teknetics T2 Se

Hey there. IMHO, the benefit of using headphones depends on the detector or your detecting location. If you are hunting a noisy (traffic, lawnmowers, wind, etc) site then noise canceling headphones will help. I learned the hard way that some detectors almost require headphones to get optimum results- especially deep targets. Also, detectors which use a consistant threshhold tone really need headphones so you can hear any tiny disruption to the constant threshhold tone possibly indicating a target so deep that it may not register visually if you have a screen. I learned the hard way because I hunted for so many years without headphones using a Minelab Sovereign GT which has no screen, has threshhold and indicates targets by tones only. It wasn't until just before I traded the GT for an Explorer I realized this. Now I've been using headphones on the Explorer, which has a threshold tone, from day one. Also I have been using head phones on my AT-Pro (no threshhold tone) and DFX (programmable for threshhold tone or not). Overall my finds have become deeper with all three detectors. I eventually bought a nice pair of Jolly Rogers which I am more than happy with. I recommend the use of headphones whole-heartedly. Just my experience. Hope it helps. GL and HH. Matt

I agree with everything said here, for me it boils down to common decency for others, metal detector are very obnoxious without headphones

I never hunt without headphones for several reasons.
1. Many detectors will produce whisper type signals for deep ones so they are easier to hear with headphones. Also can hear threshold breaks.
2. I don't attract as much attention from the general public when I am out since they cant hear my machine beeping away.
3. I like to hunt with other detectorists at times and I don't want the noise of my machine to compete with theirs.
4. Keeps me from having to answer a bunch of questions from onlookers, just act like I can't hear them due to the headphones.

Those are just off the top of my head but I am sure there are more.

+1

Thanks for these great replies. Having only done detecting so far on my property and in some secluded areas, I hadn't thought of these. I also like the idea of keeping my ears warm on a cold day!:grin:

Exactly the problem in public places. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

Hahahaha

I've learnt to wear just one ear phone ( right side )
When hunting with Sgt Wilks. It's dramatically changed my hunting experience, getting the best of both worlds so to speak.

I agree with the others, headphones are best to hear the difference in tones better. But, I also think earbuds when it's hot. They have some with pretty good noise canceling ability. I use a pair when I'm mowing the lawn. Great sound from my iPhone and can barely hear the mower.

Chris W.

I agree with the others, headphones are best to hear the difference in tones better. But, I also think earbuds when it's hot. They have some with pretty good noise canceling ability. I use a pair when I'm mowing the lawn. Great sound from my iPhone and can barely hear the mower.

Chris W.

What earbuds do you have? I was leaning more on earbuds instead of headphones.

Back
Top Bottom