equinox coil ear stiffner question

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
what are the best coil ears stiffners?

I don't want to end up with one just made off some 3d plastic printer that really don't work. Or do they work?

Those you will find here, offered by other members, will most likely be 3d printed. I know of no others. And you certainly could find those "that really don't work" but it depends on several factors. the primary factor is the part should properly fit the coil. second factor is design, and how it is "built" to do it's job.

I've found one scenario where you will get an obvious "working" result. that is the coil ear tabs are broken off. what works here is that the part will fill in for those tabs, and the coil is attached back and swinging fine. works best if even broken tabs are kept in place (depending on stiffener design). they are mated to the coil using zip-ties but could also be effectivley glued into place.

the preventative measure of these stiffeners is tough to gauge. I'm not willing to pressure my coil to confirm the working nature of the stiffeners, but I've accidentally given the coils a good push once or twice and marveled that they didn't break (I do have stiffeners on my coils).

another big difference I've seen, at least with the equinox coils, of those stiffeners I've seen here and on fleabay, is the ability to cover more than one coil size or type. this is a fallacy. each coil is unique. for example, the 3 found with an equinox, 6, 11, 15 inch coils each require their own stiffener though sometimes they can be close fits.

and for a suggestion to a good equinox choice (and I think other models too) here is a thread where you can find a link to the stiffener one member offers: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=291701

I am not entirely convinced stiffeners do much good when simply zip tied into place....I have epoxied mine in place using JB Weld, and the results seem a good deal more substantial...

I am not entirely convinced stiffeners do much good when simply zip tied into place....I have epoxied mine in place using JB Weld, and the results seem a good deal more substantial...

For ear stiffeners to work they MUST be epoxied to the ears and coil body to make everything one.

I 3d Print the stiffeners & personally I haven't any issue with them on my Nox. I've used TPU which is a flexible type filament for the tear drop washers & make them a tad thicker than the factory. I've used PETG and PLA with 90% infill for the stiffeners. There are numerous stiffener designs out there, some I know work, others I've not filed tested.

I don't want to end up with one just made off some 3d plastic printer that really don't work. Or do they work?

Pretty sure anything you find will be 3D printed. "Best" is hard to say. I make some that are custom fit for each coil size, and use the coil base for extra support -- better than most you'll find on ebay. PM me for details. If you want the "best" and are willing to permanently epoxy support to your coil ears, I'd DIY some supports from thick plastic stock rather than use 3D printed material.

My friend and I have several detectors between us, Whites, Minelab and Garrett. He was having a problem breaking ears off his Garrett coils and off one minelab coil so we started looking at coil stiffeners. My son has a 3D printer so we started searching for 3d STL printer files two weeks ago and found some for the minelab. They printed out nice and fit the detector as they should. Looking at them they look like they will provide a lot of support, time will tell. If he uses Goop glue or Epoxy they would appear un-breakable, one person said they took an old coil as a test and hit the ears with a hammer after putting the supports on and they did not break.
We are still looking for an STL file for the Garrett coils that preforms like the ones for the Minelab where the coil ears fix through the support base. He has three broken Garrett coils, don't know what he does to break these coils but he manages somehow.

Back
Top Bottom