Same Park, Half as Good

jgb_detecting

You may remember my post from a few weeks ago about finding a Morgan Dollar in a school park. Since then I've been back a couple more times to the park ridding the general area where I found the Morgan, but with no luck.

This past weekend I had a short time to hunt and decided to not get distracted with that area and head to the far side of the park. This part of the park is near the houses and I have not checked the area as much since it's close to the powerlines and electronic dog fences. Still, I decided with a short time to hunt it was worth it to check the area.

Shortly before my time was up and detecting just outside the reach of the dog fence, I got a solid signal. At the bottom of the hole was this:

PXL_20210903_164439702.jpg

PXL_20210903_164643394.jpg

PXL_20210903_164646841.jpg

This is my first Half Dollar ever.

It brings my total of silvers for the year to 22, and 26 overall since I started detecting last year.

This is the breakdown of all the silver for those interested:

19 Dimes (15 Mercury, 3 Rosies, 1 Canadian)
3 Quarters (2 SLQs, 1 Washington)
2 War Nickels
1 Half Dollar
1 Dollar (1879 Morgan)

Very nice. I have a '64 JFK but haven't found a Franklin. That property is being good to you.

I detect a lot in areas with EMI like power lines and invisible dog fences. One thing is for sure...you can have the sensitivity lowered quite a bit to avoid the EMI and still have no problem hitting a silver half dollar! But, seriously, running a lower sensitivity isn't always the worst thing in the world.

Wow that park has been good to you. Congrats on Big Ben. Looking at your list you've already got 3 bucketlisters in your first year of detecting. You have done quite well. Gppd luck, Mark

Congrats!
Very nice. Found my first Franklin last year
HH!
Tom

Thanks.

You are doing well in the silver dept.

I'm definitely not complaining. Most have come from two locations in particular.

Very nice. I have a '64 JFK but haven't found a Franklin. That property is being good to you.

I detect a lot in areas with EMI like power lines and invisible dog fences. One thing is for sure...you can have the sensitivity lowered quite a bit to avoid the EMI and still have no problem hitting a silver half dollar! But, seriously, running a lower sensitivity isn't always the worst thing in the world.

The park has been pretty good. I have 9 silver coins and 4 silver rings from there. Hunting with low sensitivity was what I was doing, otherwise, that section is impossible.

I like the fresh reveal shot. That's the "come to papa" moment :cool:

I always try to take a picture right when I first see the coin. Sometimes it is a complete popout like this and other times is just a little silver edge peeking through. Funnily enough, I though it was a quarter until I picked it up and felt the size of it.

Congrats on the Big Ben silver!

Congrats on the big ben! I got my first a few weeks ago.

Nice find! Congratulations! Your doing great. If only I could strike silver or gold this year!

Thank you for the kind words.

Wow that park has been good to you. Congrats on Big Ben. Looking at your list you've already got 3 bucketlisters in your first year of detecting. You have done quite well. Gppd luck, Mark

I've done pretty well. Some surprising finds for sure, especially with the Morgan. I also thought it would be a long time before I found gold with the detector, and I have two gold rings including one from the first couple of days after I started.

Excellent save! Big Ben is a cool coin. I have Barber and a couple Walkers. Still need the Ben and the Ken.

Back
Top Bottom