Relic hunt 12-29-2017 using Deus round HF coil.

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
A 2 hour and 45 minute hunt in my detector proving ground s site.
Temp a warm 37 F.
Ground conditions wet not frozen.
Minerlization index meter showing 7 dots- checking in multiple spots over clean ground.
This field is fertilized once every spring.
No head to hea done with any other detectors.

Settings today
Sens 93
Freq 28.8khz
Reactivity 3
Silencer -1
Audio report 5
Full headphones vol at 6
Used both manual and auto tacking
Ground phase hung around 71
Full tones level 3 disc

I am really liking this particular coil for the Deus.
A super good relic Hunter, both open field and in polluted sites.

Today was more open field hunt.
This area I have put loads of heat on previously using fbs and Deus using 9" and 11" LF coils.

The elliptical HF coil been in here too, but limited time.

Absolutely stunning to see how much nonferrous was still left (not to mean some don't still exist).

I think I have found my best settings as far as disc running this coil in most sites.

Disc setting is key IMO.
And for me it's level 3 setting using 28.8khz.

Now, I am not inferring here I would only hunt a site using this detector and or coil or this disc level solely and deem a site depleted.

Why this disc level setting?
What does it do for the mighty Deus platform?

As good as the .Deus is, it suffers from masking just like all other Vlf detectors.
But the Deus and this 9" HF coil is doing something special here, and this disc level really exposes.

What is this exactly?
Running this disc level, a user can really depend on shape of signal, put far less stock in actual pitch of signals.

If a person depends on the pitch of signal, you'll be fooled.
How do I know this? Guess

If a user gets no spitting, or doesn't get 2 signals close together using this disc = put on the brakes.
Just study the signature of the signal disregarding tone for the most part.

The pic below, all nonferrous but the bigger on the left.
This was the only ferrous target dug today.
This site is real old, has big relic iron, nails, etc.
But this portion of site not deemed carpet of nails.

This disc level setting turns Deus into exceptional bird dog.

Deepest target dug today approx 8" the bent flat button in pic.
And I exhumed some iron digging it, thinking I had been fooled only to stand up resweep and bingo.

This coil running 28.8 khz loves lead. All kinds except round to near perfectly round.
Loves brass too.
A few of the finds today buttons.

Next here, based on what I am seeing upon target retrieval and even sweeping targets with dirt took off of but still in the hole, a detectorist takes this detector with coil setup to a plowed field- you may lose out on some nice finds.

This coil does NOT like disturbed dirt.
Will hear iron tone (pitch wise) many times when sweeping plugs.
Plugs that seem to be not contaminated with ferrous.
But this masking may be caused by micro particles of ferrous, even the detector won't pick upand give tonal indication to user.

I know some folks here bought the elliptical HF coil vs the rounded coil.
I fortunately have both HF coils.
Like both, and neither is going anywhere anytime soon.

But IMO the round does have some advantages over the elliptical and it's not exactly what some may be thinking here as far as the smaller elliptical sniffing things out of ferrous.

A very good nonferrous to ferrous ratio today.
Impressive.
And how many of the nonferrous finds found today provided more textbook signals(all things considered)?? Only 4.
Think about that.
And is this why I didn't find using LF coils?? Previously??

And to think, the patch I was in today, was exactly the patch where in this area I started detecting using a White's V3i. And found only 1 flat button. But remember I Was big time green horn. I think I have advanced past that stage now. How far I don't really know.

Cheers
Forgot to say, if a user pulls the pinpoint, better watch out. Many of these finds today gave broad pinpoint signals, and tonally sounded like ferrous- hence a person can get fooled quick
98y3y9.jpg

I never get tired of age indicating period targets. Even if just copper slag, gizmos, lead, button, etc.... Good play by play.

A 2 hour and 45 minute hunt in my detector proving ground s site.

Temp a warm 37 F.

Ground conditions wet not frozen.

Minerlization index meter showing 7 dots- checking in multiple spots over clean ground.

This field is fertilized once every spring.

No head to hea done with any other detectors.

Settings today

Sens 93

Freq 28.8khz

Reactivity 3

Silencer -1

Audio report 5

Full headphones vol at 6

Used both manual and auto tacking

Ground phase hung around 71

Full tones level 3 disc

I am really liking this particular coil for the Deus.

A super good relic Hunter, both open field and in polluted sites.

Today was more open field hunt.

This area I have put loads of heat on previously using fbs and Deus using 9" and 11" LF coils.

The elliptical HF coil been in here too, but limited time.

Absolutely stunning to see how much nonferrous was still left (not to mean some don't still exist).

I think I have found my best settings as far as disc running this coil in most sites.

Disc setting is key IMO.

And for me it's level 3 setting using 28.8khz.

Now, I am not inferring here I would only hunt a site using this detector and or coil or this disc level solely and deem a site depleted.

Why this disc level setting?

What does it do for the mighty Deus platform?

As good as the .Deus is, it suffers from masking just like all other Vlf detectors.

But the Deus and this 9" HF coil is doing something special here, and this disc level really exposes.

What is this exactly?

Running this disc level, a user can really depend on shape of signal, put far less stock in actual pitch of signals.

If a person depends on the pitch of signal, you'll be fooled.

How do I know this? Guess

If a user gets no spitting, or doesn't get 2 signals close together using this disc = put on the brakes.

Just study the signature of the signal disregarding tone for the most part.

The pic below, all nonferrous but the bigger on the left.

This was the only ferrous target dug today.

This site is real old, has big relic iron, nails, etc.

But this portion of site not deemed carpet of nails.

This disc level setting turns Deus into exceptional bird dog.

Deepest target dug today approx 8" the bent flat button in pic.

And I exhumed some iron digging it, thinking I had been fooled only to stand up resweep and bingo.

This coil running 28.8 khz loves lead. All kinds except round to near perfectly round.

Loves brass too.

A few of the finds today buttons.

Next here, based on what I am seeing upon target retrieval and even sweeping targets with dirt took off of but still in the hole, a detectorist takes this detector with coil setup to a plowed field- you may lose out on some nice finds.

This coil does NOT like disturbed dirt.

Will hear iron tone (pitch wise) many times when sweeping plugs.

Plugs that seem to be not contaminated with ferrous.

But this masking may be caused by micro particles of ferrous, even the detector won't pick upand give tonal indication to user.

I know some folks here bought the elliptical HF coil vs the rounded coil.

I fortunately have both HF coils.

Like both, and neither is going anywhere anytime soon.

But IMO the round does have some advantages over the elliptical and it's not exactly what some may be thinking here as far as the smaller elliptical sniffing things out of ferrous.

A very good nonferrous to ferrous ratio today.

Impressive.

And how many of the nonferrous finds found today provided more textbook signals(all things considered)?? Only 4.

Think about that.

And is this why I didn't find using LF coils?? Previously??

And to think, the patch I was in today, was exactly the patch where in this area I started detecting using a White's V3i. And found only 1 flat button. But remember I Was big time green horn. I think I have advanced past that stage now. How far I don't really know.

Cheers

Forgot to say, if a user pulls the pinpoint, better watch out. Many of these finds today gave broad pinpoint signals, and tonally sounded like ferrous- hence a person can get fooled quick

98y3y9.jpg

I agree but I do like my 11” LF in relic sites to start. I sold my elliptical HF and got the 9” HF. The 9” HF has performed much better for me. Part of tht is likely because I can cover more ground with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tn. nice hunt, great in-depth report. I can't wait to read your posts on the Equinox. Good luck in the new year. Mark

Your posts are very detailed and to the point! I enjoy them. Very informative. Thanks and good luck in 2018!

Thanks for the kind words.

I don't do videos, so I try to out into words.
Not always easy to do.

Happy New Year.

nice write up.... love those coils too. I hunted 28 kh back over a site we dug 30x30 in 14kh and 7kh and was pulled around 20 non ferrous we missed. Including 3 buttons we hammered it in those other freqs.

nice write up.... love those coils too. I hunted 28 kh back over a site we dug 30x30 in 14kh and 7kh and was pulled around 20 non ferrous we missed. Including 3 buttons we hammered it in those other freqs.

Do you think there is a benefit to using 4k or 7k in a site over 28k? To be more exact is there a chance I would miss a coin or button in 28k but nail it in 4k or 7k? I told you about the odd behavior my machine had with a blank VDI on a gold coin at 2.5”. Was curious if running LF would potentially present an advantage for a deeper silver or button?

Do you think there is a benefit to using 4k or 7k in a site over 28k? To be more exact is there a chance I would miss a coin or button in 28k but nail it in 4k or 7k? I told you about the odd behavior my machine had with a blank VDI on a gold coin at 2.5”. Was curious if running LF would potentially present an advantage for a deeper silver or button?

A difficult question to answer.
So far based on what I have seen.
Hf9" coil vs 9" LF coil, I think HF coil will see everything the LF coil will plus more.
Now this is settings dependent while using the 9" HF coil.

For example could using 14.4khz find some thing where using 28.8khz would miss?? Yes

Folks should remember, Deus using LF coils.
I beleive this is an accurate statement.
Deus wearing any same LF coil, will see everything in 18khz it will see in 4khz like higher conductors.
Granted the signal strength may be better using the lower fereq like 4khz.
But using 4khz or even 8kha for that matter poses problems for a user.
Depending on their detecting goals.
Like separation and unmasking, and not being good on lower conductors like gold coins /nickels etc.

Now, the round HF coil.
Running this coil is not totally about which freq one runs.

For example
Very possible to get a better signal using 14.4khz using higher Reactivty vs using 28.8khz and using a lower Reactivty. Or even make the signal sound similar.

Masking by the soil itself, rust, nails, even other nonferrous.
So far seems to me using round HF coil, Reactivty 3 will see things a user can walk right by using reactivity levels say 2 or even 2.5.

There will be some targets that will be iron tone sounding p or very bordeline sounding on first pass of coil if reactivity setting is too low.
It is almost like reactivity settings acts like a filter setting at times.

I should point out here, don't get confused or think, Reactivty settings are parallels when comparing elliptical HF coil to round HF coil. They are not.
Meaning since the elliptical is seeing less ground and possibly less rust, iron, other nonferrous bits,,it can for all practical purposes do better with lower Reactivty settings vs the round HF coil.
This is not to mean, higher reactvity settings while using HF elliptical can't be beneficial at finding things in challenging sites.

I highly recommend folks who are hunting in medium to higher minerlized ground hunting old sites to consider setting up their detected with exact same settings including silencer at -1, but have a Reactivty 2.5 program and a Reactivty 3 program.

And toggle between or if you want you can use same program and shift on the fly, by keeping Reactivity setting window open while detecting.

Deus users hunting old sites.
I think deep down in my heart.
They should be asking themselves this.
Why aren't I digging this target?
Not why am I?

Meaning if the target is not what I call a hard iron fault target,,,beware.
Deus gives loads of leeway in actual tonal presentation.

I will say this.
If most of what you dig with Deus is screaming targets signal wise in an old site.
You are leaving nonferrous finds in the ground.
Bet on it!!!

The lower volume sounding whatevers you hear in your headphones,,these are really the ones to put more interest in. (With audio response set to 5-7 levels)
Iron doesn't sound soft tonally usually.
Deus when signal on nonferrous gets compromised likes to report lower volume.

Signals can be scratchy sounding, yet smoother on the edges.
Repeatable with ideal coil swing speed is a real key.

Back phones are for the birds for grinding out the most challenging targets even on the quietest day or quiet environment.

The Deus is really I think a very good ground anomaly detector. It tells you something is amiss down under, and makes noise.
This noise it makes - what does it mean or what is Deus telling you?
More than one thinks.

I guarantee, myself included.
Targets have provided tone of sorts and users kept walking.
This from new users of Deus.
And intermediate skill users too.

Think about this.

I have one field.
I have spent 6 plus years frequenting.
I test detectors for my own purposes.
And have run several detectors in this field.
I have places I key on in this field.
Deus has pounded using LF coils loads and loads.
Now my proficiency level,using Deus hasn't always been high. So a leaning curve has been had.
I don't think I am a dummy.
I pay attention.

And guess what.
This site still is producing using Deus.
And I don' think I have superior mastery of HF coils,yet.
But the HF coils are working for me.

You tube videos of Deus in action.
Beware of them.
I have seen few if any videos really showing just what Deus can do in an old site.

Also if a person is showing videos where it seems Deus is one upping another model. Even showing this doesn't show just what the Deus is truly capable of.

This disc system on Deus is one mean system.
Coupled with its tones, tone signature provided depending on the detecting scenario,, loads of potential for user.

There is no old site IMO that can be hunted with Deus and one st of settings where the site could be considered Deus depleted.

My site I use to test detectrors proves this easily.

Last edited:
A difficult question to answer.

So far based on what I have seen.

Hf9" coil vs 9" LF coil, I think HF coil will see everything the LF coil will plus more.

Now this is settings dependent while using the 9" HF coil.

For example could using 14.4khz find some thing where using 28.8khz would miss?? Yes

Folks should remember, Deus using LF coils.

I beleive this is an accurate statement.

Deus wearing any same LF coil, will see everything in 18khz it will see in 4khz like higher conductors.

Granted the signal strength may be better using the lower fereq like 4khz.

But using 4khz or even 8kha for that matter poses problems for a user.

Depending on their detecting goals.

Like separation and unmasking, and not being good on lower conductors like gold coins /nickels etc.

Now, the round HF coil.

Running this coil is not totally about which freq one runs.

For example

Very possible to get a better signal using 14.4khz using higher Reactivty vs using 28.8khz and using a lower Reactivty. Or even make the signal sound similar.

Masking by the soil itself, rust, nails, even other nonferrous.

So far seems to me using round HF coil, Reactivty 3 will see things a user can walk right by using restively levels say 2 or even 2.5.

There will be some targets that will be iron tone sounding p or very bordeline sounding on first pass of coil if reactivity setting is too low.

It is almost like reactivity settings acts like a filter setting at times.

I should,point out here, don't get confused or think, Reactivty settings are parallels when comparing elliptical HF coil,to round HF coil. They are not.

Meaning since the elliptical is seeing less ground and possibly less rust, iron, other nonferrous bits,,it can for all practical purposes do better with lower Reactivty settings vs the round HF coil.

This is not to mean, higher reactvity settings while using HF elliptical can't be beneficial at findin things in challenging sites.

I highly recommend folks who are hunting in medium to higher minerlized ground hunting old sites to consider setting up their detected with exact same settings including silencer st -1, but have a Reactivty 2.5 program and a Reactivty 3 program.

And toggle or if you want you can use same program and shift on the fly, bu keeping Reactivty setting window open while detecting.

Deus users hunting old sites.

I think deep down in my heart.

They should be asking themselves this.

Why aren't I digging this target?

Not why am I?

Meaning if the target is not what I call a hard iron fault target,,,beware.

Deus gives loads of leeway in actual tonal presentation.

I will say this.

If most of what you dig with Deus is screaming targets signal wise in an old site.

You are leaving nonferrous finds in the ground.

Bet on it!!!

The lower volume sounding whatevers you hear in your headphones,,these are really the ones to put more interest in. (With audio response set to 5-7 levels)

Iron doesn't sound soft tonally usually.

Deus when signal on nonferrous gets compromised likes to report lower volume.

Signals can be scratchy sounding, yet smoother on the edges.

Repeatable with ideal coil swing speed is a real key.

Back phones are for the birds for grinding out the most challenging targets even on the quitest day or quiet environment.

The Deus is really I think a very good ground anomaly detector. It tells you something is amiss down under, and makes noise.

This noise it makes - what does it mean or what is Deus telling you?

More than one thinks.

I guarantee myself included.

Targets have provided tone of sorts and users kept walking.

This from new users of Deus.

And intermediate skill users too.

Think about this.

I have one field.

I have spent 6 plus years frequenting.

I test detectors for my own purposes.

And have run several detectors in this field.

I have places I key on in this field.

Deus has pounded using LF coils loads and loadsand loads.

Now my proficiency level,using Deus hasn't always been high. So a leaning curve has been had.

I don't think I am a dummy.

I pay attention.

And guess what.

This site still is producing using Deus.

And I don' think I have superior mystery of HF coils,yet.

But the HF coils are working for me.

You tube videos of Deus in action.

Beware of them.

I have seen few if any videos really showing just what Deus can do in an old site.

Also if a person is showing videos where it seems Deus is one upping another model. Even showing this doesn't show just what the Deus is truly capable of.

This disc system on Deus is one mean system.

Coupled with its tones, tone signature provided depending on the detecting scenario,, loads of potential for user.

There is no old site IMO that can be hunted with Deus and one st of settings where the site could be considered Deus depleted.

My site I use to test detectrors proves this easily.

TN! Thank you for your insight! You might have edited a very detailed and concise response? Maybe it was in another thread. Anyways, I really appreciated what you said. It made perfect sense with what I have learned with my Deus. It is good to hear confirmation of what I have learned from others. HH!

TN! Thank you for your insight! You might have edited a very detailed and concise response? Maybe it was in another thread. Anyways, I really appreciated what you said. It made perfect sense with what I have learned with my Deus. It is good to hear confirmation of what I have learned from others. HH!

You are welcome.
I recently saw someone refer to on this forum, Deus is beep and dig.
Yep it will beep alright, but will do a whole lot more this this on nonferrous targets,,,like half dimes, Spanish silvers, etc mingled heavily in iron. You see some think only lower conductors,,not true.

Yes

I would say with a new life living at the beach, last pick 2017, Shogun said Happy New Year to bro., ruffff

Attachments

• P1000924.JPG
    P1000924.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 223
You are welcome.

I recently saw someone refer to on this forum, Deus is beep and dig.

Yep it will beep alright, but will do a whole lot more this this on nonferrous targets,,,like half dimes, Spanish silvers, etc mingled heavily in iron. You see some think only lower conductors,,not true.

Hah! They can keep thinking that. I’ll swing twice as long and “beep” find twice as much.

Back
Top Bottom