EQ800 She Let Me Down

TNTGross

Elite Member
Ok, not really, but let me explain... Ever since I have gotten this detector, when I have hunted for an hour or more in the city, I have never gone home without finding silver. But today, after a 3-hour hunt, I found no silver.

I went to a location I thought for sure would hold some silver. The old National Guard Armory downtown Jacksonville Fl. Built 1915-1916. It was the City’s principal public facility for entertainment/social events, such as an address by first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, dances, boxing matches, and concerts by well-known singers. It is now city property, used as the parks and recreation building.

I was positive that it was a "sure thing". But after three hours hitting that front yard as hard as I could, I had to walk away broken hearted.

All was not a total loss. I did find a 1918 wheat penny, a token, and a bunch of clad.

Also, my first dig on the lot I pulled up an old oil lamp part. The stem has "STAR" on it with some other letters. That lead me to think that some old stuff was sure to be found. And it was, but not what I had hoped...

She will just have ot make up for it with two silvers next time...

Attachments

• Jan 21 2019 national guard armory jacksonville fl.jpg
    Jan 21 2019 national guard armory jacksonville fl.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 620
  • lamp 02.jpg
    lamp 02.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 599
  • Lamp 01.jpg
    Lamp 01.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 582
  • Jan 21 2019 national guard armory jacksonville fl 02.jpg
    Jan 21 2019 national guard armory jacksonville fl 02.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 587
I detected a former national guard armory. I did not find the first silver coin but I did dig quite a few wheat pennies. So after completely covering the area I continued to go back and work it some more. I was able to pull 8 silver coins out of that property and my son found his first silver there. Had the same thing happen to the property next door. I would hit that property again and depending on what I found I might hit it two or three times.

Ok, not really, but let me explain... Ever since I have gotten this detector, when I have hunted for an hour or more in the city, I have never gone home without finding silver. But today, after a 3-hour hunt, I found no silver.

I went to a location I thought for sure would hold some silver. The old National Guard Armory downtown Jacksonville Fl. Built 1915-1916. It was the City’s principal public facility for entertainment/social events, such as an address by first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, dances, boxing matches, and concerts by well-known singers. It is now city property, used as the parks and recreation building.

I was positive that it was a "sure thing". But after three hours hitting that front yard as hard as I could, I had to walk away broken hearted.

All was not a total loss. I did find a 1918 wheat penny, a token, and a bunch of clad.

Also, my first dig on the lot I pulled up an old oil lamp part. The stem has "STAR" on it with some other letters. That lead me to think that some old stuff was sure to be found. And it was, but not what I had hoped...

She will just have ot make up for it with two silvers next time...

Were you in park 1 or park 2? If you were in park 2, you should hit it again in park 1 with recovery speed on 4 or 5 and iron bias set low (0,1, or 2).

We all have to remember to remember...don’t forget!....ALL of these places have been SMOKED by every hunter for 50 years. We are now after the absolute TOUGHEST of the tough silvers(if that’s your primary target) and it is not an easy thing to do! The ones that are left in super obvious “big old and it MUST be there” places are masked,deep,both,etc....finding places that are BIG can be advantageous,as a lot of people are in a hurry to cover it all. Places with a lot of EMI can be a pain,unless you can EFFECTIVELY work through it,meaning....you can still understand what the machine is saying,and it’s saying something you can understand! And also don’t forget...when you say the machine is “letting you down” that it’s very much a two way street. You have to put it over the target and in an area where it can tell you about it. No MACHINE is great. No HUNTER is great. The COMBINATION has to be great. And the coins have to actually be there...
You’ve got some good intel and a nice start, I do believe because of the targets you’ve found already that silver is there. Keep at it!:grin:

Kind of a bummer but still some cool finds. I hate it when a promising spot doesn't give up the goods!
That's what I'm sayin... But like IDXMonster said... "ALL of these places have been SMOKED by every hunter for 50 years".

And odds are, there is silver still in that ground. I did pull up a lot of nails. As a matter of fact, I pulled out three nails from the hole with the 1918 penny. I did pass over a lot of "crazy" signals in the hope of getting a better/clear one.

We all have to remember to remember...don’t forget!....ALL of these places have been SMOKED by every hunter for 50 years. We are now after the absolute TOUGHEST of the tough silvers(if that’s your primary target) and it is not an easy thing to do! The ones that are left in super obvious “big old and it MUST be there” places are masked,deep,both,etc....finding places that are BIG can be advantageous,as a lot of people are in a hurry to cover it all. Places with a lot of EMI can be a pain,unless you can EFFECTIVELY work through it,meaning....you can still understand what the machine is saying,and it’s saying something you can understand! And also don’t forget...when you say the machine is “letting you down” that it’s very much a two way street. You have to put it over the target and in an area where it can tell you about it. No MACHINE is great. No HUNTER is great. The COMBINATION has to be great. And the coins have to actually be there...
You’ve got some good intel and a nice start, I do believe because of the targets you’ve found already that silver is there. Keep at it!:grin:
/\ This is so true!

A good "once over" in a place like that, with less than hoped for results used to be enough for me to never try again. I have learned a lot; especially since joining this forum. Reworking old spots has become "what we do". Different day...different angle...different settings...different coil...different machine...different attitude...etc...different results.
Not saying anything new here.
I know the feeling you got. When you're on a good streak, and a hopeful hunt comes up dry, it is a bit of a let-down. Oh well...go dig a Rosie and move on. :yes:

You did Good! Especially on the '18 wheatie! You want tough? I'll tell you tough! Its getting hard to find ONE zinc penny in a totlot anymore!:laughing:

Dang that is really well stated.

You did Good! Especially on the '18 wheatie! You want tough? I'll tell you tough! Its getting hard to find ONE zinc penny in a totlot anymore!:laughing:

And ain’t that the truth!

Nice digs OP! I got the Nox to help me find some silver and older / deeper coins, but I lack accessible old ground :( so I’m digging zinc cents and can slaw.

You did fine.
If it were me I would go back.
Run EQX at speed 7 park 2 iron bias 0-1.
Why?
Running EQX 800 in this fashion makes it a stand out detector.
Odds wise better to sniff out some thing behind fbs/fbs2 detector’s like Etrac and CTX and many other VLF detector models.

This above is precisely what I have done in hard pounded Etrac and CTX sites and some nicer coppers and silver coins have been found. Not many. Just takes one though in my book to be enjoyable.

Weed out the pennies and the junk and you will likely find silver.

"Weed out the pennies AND THE JUNK"

Every time I read this phrase, I remember actually trying to literally dig everything was like. A buddy and I gave up within half an hour. Chasing signals which disappeared, digging tiny junk, all within the 30 minutes we gave it the ol 'college try, was simply too time-intensive. Plus, not even one actual coin was dug!

I would definitely go back and hunt there, slow w-a-a-a-y down on swinging, and dig any tones of a high conductor, even if it is just a one-way signal. My first silver coin with my 600 was in a pounded park in an area really worked hard...and it was a one-way sweep tone.

Back
Top Bottom