Hammer Time (Solved, not a Hammer, Wrench Time)

T-Man

Elite Member
Found me a hammer (I think) What I'm curious about it if anyone knows the possible use for this style of hammer, age and if you think it may be hand forged. Appears to be one solid piece, shaft between the head and tang is just rectangular in shape, defiantely does not appear to have been machined. I did zap it and it doesn't appear to have been welded at all. Possibly for shoeing horses??? I know I've found alot of horseshoes in the same general area previously. I'm not a hammer expert by any stretch unless it's a claw, ballpeen or sledge. Any experts care to chime in.

Attachments

• rustyhammer.jpg
    rustyhammer.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 194
  • cleanedside.jpg
    cleanedside.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 189
  • cleanedend.jpg
    cleanedend.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
You guys are good. Once I searched for the right thing I believe I found it on Etsy. Also explains the little notch in the handle I thought may of just been rusted out. Thanks for the help.

Details

Check out this great vintage piece. It's an early (circa 1900) monkey wrench from the Coes Wrench Company out of Worcester, MA. The company has been around since 1888, and Loring Coes actually invented and holds the original patent for the screw wrench (or monkey wrench as it's now called). This model is about 12 1/2 inches long, and it has a great wooden handle with a single pin. A stunning and functional piece. Great for any man cave or steampunk fan.

Attachments

• wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom