GroundMagnet Finds 2017

groundmagnet

So I have been going out like everyday metal detecting since I have some free time now that my work season is winding down. Rather than post a new thread every time I find something, I figured I'd just made one post and add onto it. Maybe somebody can learn something from my struggles of learning a new detector, or maybe can ID some of the finds I have. To start off:

So today, 11/6, I checked out some property that previously had a homestead on it dating back to at least 1895.

Found a ton of junk targets, and learning my new metal detector (AT Pro) in a junk filled abyss is challenging. Found a horseshoe and a makeup tin today.

Site: 1895'ish homestead.
Ulster County

Finds:
FPnVq40.jpg

Here are the bottle finds:

hD28POW.jpg

Looks like a Deere Reich-Ash hinged tin, circa 1930's. Found in an area away from the homestead on what looks to be the old property line. I'll post pictures of the horseshoe tomorrow. Got aggravated chasing high tones and left it on the old foundation...

Two cobalt blue bottles and one clear one. I can't make out details on one of the blue bottles. The other blue bottle says "Emerson Drug Co Bromo Seltzer" and the clear one says "Dr. Kilmers Swamp Root Kidney Cure" "Sample Bottle"

Last edited:
Your pics aren't viewable for me - anyone else see them besides Mud? Sometimes I think Mud would see things even if they weren't there - so I'm not sure he counts :laughing: :laughing:

I can't see them either. Can Mud really see them? Or is this like The Emperor's New Clothes?

11/7/17

I was able to get out at the same site for about 2 hours today. Only was able to detect for about an hour, and spent the other hour chasing kids on 4-wheelers off the property. We used to let them ride here, until they decided to burn down buildings that the police had used for training their K-9s. Schools were closed today for voting, so all the kids were out. Sad that this property used to be open to all who wanted to use it, but a few "bad apples" spoiled the party...

Dug mostly junk, and I was looking for evidence from other buildings on the site that appear from a 1956 aerial photo. Found the remains of what I think was one at least. Comparing 60 plus year old photos to current forest growth is a bit challenging.

Site:
Site: 1895'ish homestead.
Ulster County - Kingston, NY

Finds:

Only had one keeper today, and in all reality I didn't know what it was until I got home and cleaned it off:

1936 NYS Dog Tag

suHk9L3.jpg

Attached are photos from my horseshoe find yesterday, and of a brick I previously though came from California. I am now convinced it was from the area thanks to other forum members posts!

l5qEq0a.jpg

Ull0pni.jpg

Lastly, I took my Beagle for a walk on the property for sale across the street from my home in Saugerties (Highwoods Area). I used to cut firewood for our home here and there a bunch of old rock walls on it. I found an old water well, which I had never seen before. There is also a circular indentation I guess you would say in a rock wall.

CPVpBD2.jpg

Anybody have any idea why that would be in a stone fence?

GM

Last edited:
Stinger,

I'm learning the AT Pro. learning curve !

Found a few targets that jumped from 20-mid 80s. I left them. As you will see tomorrow, there is a ton of junk metal on the surface. This is probably not the place for me to learn the machine, but it is what it is. Most of the junk is surrounding the foundation. All the finds I have found were in the back of the old lot right on the stone fence.

Stinger,

I'm learning the AT Pro. learning curve !

Found a few targets that jumped from 20-mid 80s. I left them. As you will see tomorrow, there is a ton of junk metal on the surface. This is probably not the place for me to learn the machine, but it is what it is. Most of the junk is surrounding the foundation. All the finds I have found were in the back of the old lot right on the stone fence.

Know what you mean have the whites MX-SPORT but don't use it much cause of that so I go with my trusted mxt tracker

11/8/17

Got out today with George (Stinger) today at the site I have been detecting at. Today was an ammunition day. Found a bunch of brass from hunters, a few bullets, and scrap metal. I did find a round button of some sort and a small buckle.

7vZnAwT.jpg

I'm thinking next time there I will start hitting the old road into the early homestead. That is where I found the horseshoe a few days prior.

I found a way to get gps coordinates too from NETRonline historic maps, so I plotted the buildings I have not yet located in the woods from the photos. I'll give that try with a handheld gps. Also figured out how to resize photos where they will post here!

Nice meeting you George!

Could you be looking at a cellar at the "Fence"??

The well you mentioned would be an area to check out. Was this area the site of multiple homes or one or two larger estates?

The well you mentioned would be an area to check out. Was this area the site of multiple homes or one or two larger estates?

The well appears to be a part of larger estates. There are numerous rock walls that visually separate the old property lines. I found what looks to be an old road that leads up to a field. The son of the person who owns that property works at the pool store where I get pool supplies from. I'm going to try to get permission for that field. There is a cut in large stone with a stone fence laying on top. The path down is graded, but now overgrown with new growth. The well is just at the bottom of it.

That is the only well I have found. My neighbors told me of open wells behind my house. Long story... I had a graduation party here when I graduated college. (went back to school in my late 20's) My cousin's son swiped some subs and soda bottles and went exploring. Resulted in multiple police cars and a search party....I never did find any wells back there though. It had previously been farm land and then a bluestone quarry. Google "Opus 40."

The property with the well has a farm home built in 1700. I have permission to detect on areas not in their main lawn, however the older lady who has lived there for the past 80 years has recently passed away. Somebody is now cleaning out the house with dumpsters, which I suspect the home will go up for sale soon. I am going to stop by the next time I see people there and inquire about permission again. I saw people there today but had to get home. I recognized one of the guys. He lives not too far from me and had fixed up some older homes along the Fish Creek, which is just down the road from us.

Now I have to ask Ground Magnet-Blue stone?

The Blue stone, is that shale or slate do you know? I ask because I like natural sharpening stones for finishing Straight Razor edges, then too there is the use of shale for roofing long ago and still use some today for decorative work.

So, if you get permissions watch for slate roofing in the ground to tell you where even small outbuildings were? Hope you get on that property, I'll pray for ya.

You have a awesome site to detect. Big Congrats on all the fantastic finds!

Photobucket sucks! I had 1000's of pictures of my hunts posted at sites using them and now they're gone unless I pay them a hefty ransom.:mad:

beephead

Back
Top Bottom