Possible Civil War find Help identify

Ornab

Hello,

I found this metal item where the Union Army had a munition depot that they blew up; I had the owner's permission to search.
I have attached a photo with a ruler to give idea of size.
The item weighs about one pound; it has a criss crossing pattern on both sides; openings on both ends of different diameters; the openings do not meet inside the item.
It looks like is is broken on both ends.
It was about six inches down in a gully.
There were no items whatsoever dumped anywhere at all where I found this.
It is a very remote location.

I have thought of a flag pole holder, perhaps part of the door to the munition supply chamber etc.

Can anyone help me identify?

Thanks

Attachments

• Possible Civil War find rs.jpg
    Possible Civil War find rs.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 293
Hello b-stick

First thank you for the reply.

I have more pictures; I will have to print them and then scan so they are not too large to attach; I will not be able to do this and attach them until Tuesday. Also I will take pictures of the ends and post them too. Please be patient with me in this regard as my other pictures are too large.
In the meantime I am looking at this find and can add that it seems as if the outer part is some how slid over the inner section that I will refer to as a tube.

This tube has a diameter of half an inch and the opening in that is about a quarter of an inch.

The opening at the thicker end is about half an inch.

Where the criss crossing pattern is there is some sort of decoration above where the criss cross makes an "X". Where the centre of the X's are there is a band that wraps all around from one X to the other.

There are four sort of bumps at the end of the thicker section just where it appears to narrow. The bumps are 90 degrees apart from each other.

Ornab

Back
Top Bottom