GroundMagnet Finds 2017

anytime Kris had a blast good getting out keep me up dated on that button

The button is a blowhole button. Doing a bit more research on it, but it looks to be from the 1700s. There is a bit of corrosion on the front of it and definite markings around the rim. I'll try to get it cleaned up and post some better pictures.

Button Find

Here are some better pictures of the button.

hRtXs1d.jpg

cRRmAKT.jpg

I think its a blowhole button. Any ideas on how to clean it up?

11/9/17 - Last day at the Kukuk Road Site Until Spring

So today I awoke to find frost covering much of our yard, and the windshield on my jeep was decorated with ice crystals. I have hit the site I had been detecting at quite hard recently, and I was able to make some decent finds.

A few meetings filled the schedule for today, but there was about an hour that was vacant, which I decided to fill with detecting.

I started off where the button was located yesterday, and worked a pattern around that area. With no signals heard, I focused my time on finding the historic property line. About that time a sight caught my eye through the woods. Curious as I could be, I made a beeline toward the sight of tarps and plastic on the ground. An unfortunate person had apparently been making their home on these grounds. The detector was picking up some high tones, so I poked around for a few minutes. My first clad penny find was quickly located, as well as a number of hypodermic needles. I beat feet away from this unfortunate discovery.

Heading over to the circa 1800s home foundation, I found a few high tones which all ended up being junk metal. Coming to the realization that I will have to dig all the iron on this site to find more signals, I retreated to the old road that once had serviced this property. Alas, more junk targets and my second clad penny find. I was able to locate the previous door threshold on the ruins, so in the spring I will return ready to dig iron and make some more finds.

I am home with my son tomorrow, so if the temperatures are not too cold, I'll hit a tot park with him. Next week I'm hitting another circa 1800s homestead on the same property, but west from this area.

P0F5uPu.jpg

Today's finds were not impressive. Found a total of scrap metal and .02 cents. I think the knowledge I learned today regarding the site was worth much more however. All the structures I had been searching for have been located. All ruins, which was expected. This site has many more secrets lying below a layer of soil. In the future, they will hopefully be reveled.

Tomorrow is another day, and new sites await. So is the story of a metal detectorist.

Here is the aerial of the next hunt. The photo is taken from NETRonline, all credits to them.

The color is the current aerial, the black and white is a homestead that no longer exists.

BqeHObF.jpg

I'm sure there are some neat things to find here!

11/13/17

Got out this morning for a few hours and decided to hit the old spot I have been detecting at.

Not sure how I missed the last foundation so many times, as I walked past it no less than 30. Just a little bit of moss and vines concealed it.

Largest find to date:
sItyvzD.jpg

Left this in the woods for now. It has pedals inside of it, so I suspect it was a kids pedal cart who lived here. No wheels were to be found.

First wheat penny find! 1928, which was right next to the foundation. Detecting was a nightmare. There was shredded pieces of metal all over the place, which caused the AT Pro to have a meltdown! The batteries were about 50%, so I'll replace them before I head back out there. Lots of junk targets were dug today. Ordered the Garrett sniper coil to try to get around some of the junk.
dVsQflo.jpg

Best part about today though, the silver fairy came! Ordered some bullion online.
2z8ejCh.jpg

Learning AT Pro

When I was new to the AT pro I finally listened to some member here and followed their suggestions. I live near a very heavily visited park that is slammed with people on the weekend. Loaded with pop tops, bobbie pins, foil and clad coins.

I run the AT Pro with my 5x8" coil in the Pro zero mode with two bars down on sensitivity and 40 on metal discrim and use headphones. Headphones mainly used to keep the leaf blower noise away since when I hunt/practice in the morning the maintenance crew is cleaning park.

What I mostly end up with is modern coins. But when I am out at an old home site or field, I will dig most if not all signals. I think the weekly park hunting has improved my ability to hunt and understand better what is under the ground in a three dimensional configuration of targets and junk which will render most of your VDI readings somewhat useless. As the experienced guys say, it is what you hear or don't hear that counts. It is hard to explain but you will understand it all if you keep hunting and practicing with the AT Pro (a great machine for the $$$).

Back
Top Bottom