Finally somthing worth posting about

Mr Mud

It has been a while that I came across something worth posting. While getting one last bottle dig in before the snows in the mountains shut things down. I noticed this white item in the dirt, At first I thought it was another busted dinner plate. But as I moved dirt away I noticed it was a complete circle about 10" in diameter. After lifting it out and turning it over this is what I found.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 738
My dad put in 45 years with Mountain Bell before he retired. Well... then it became US West Communications then it became Quest then finally CenturyLink I think. Awesome find.

Very nice find. Might it be a single-sided, porcelain sign?
A rather nice remnant of a bygone era. AT&T was broken up by the government with an anti-trust suit back in the 80's, and phone service hasn't been the same since.

Roger

Very nice find.

My brother was a pole climber for Bellsouth and he loved this type of telephone signs, mostly those offering a public telephone, which was a common service offered in the early 1900s. He worked in the older areas of town and whenever he saw one, he would walk in and ask if a public phone was still on the premises. Nearly every time he was told no and he would announce he was required to take the sign down and take it back. ONCE they told him yes, they did have a public phone. He told them someone would be bringing a new sign out to them and confiscated that one too.

He had quite a collection

Attachments

• 91656794-DDA5-498B-BA56-E3DC63B05FFA.jpg
    91656794-DDA5-498B-BA56-E3DC63B05FFA.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 643
Definately porcelain. Cool sign. I found one once in a wooded area that was advertising the land for sale and someone's address and phone number in Chicago. Looked like 1920s era. That was back around 1979. Sold it -- wish I still had it. :(

Yes the sign is porcelain and single sided. It is dished in at the center about a half inch. It is amazing to me at how long the porcelain items will last under the ground as long as the porcelain is intact. I found it over an embankment about 10 inches into the ground.

Very nice find. Might it be a single-sided, porcelain sign?
A rather nice remnant of a bygone era. AT&T was broken up by the government with an anti-trust suit back in the 80's, and phone service hasn't been the same since.

Roger
Yes, but theeeyyyre baaaacccckk!

Cool Find!... any idea on the year of that? I'm thinking it could be pre-Bell Co. break up. Might be worth something to a collector. Again congrats on a really cool find.

Back
Top Bottom