Let The Battle Begin!!!

Oh there are some junkers involved Pete, and it’s a good point. We all love to show the upside, because it’s the best side. But it’s just one side. I will get fooled on 2 junk things in particular….squashed aluminum screw caps that sound and react very nice from one direction but usually change a few points at the 90. Also big huge crusty nails that sound really good and they’re very repeatable from one direction. I am learning where the “line” is yet and digging less of these as I learn what the tells are. For the most part the machine has been accurate and stable, running V.71. It’s weird because some people click with different machines. Some swear by the Equinox, it wasn’t my thing. Some swear by whatever it is while others swear at it. I think it’s a matter of finding that “marriage”, and no two are the exact same. People have to realize that, just because I’ve had success is by NO means a declaration that it will be the same elsewhere, it’s just one situation. It’s only an indicator of what MIGHT be possible, and like any other machine/operator combo, it’s not perfect all the time.

Thanks for the in depth report. I dig junk sometimes knowing it's probably gonna be junk,but I just gotta know cause I'll think about it 10 feet later..
The big iron nails is something all simultaneous multi frequency machines seem to hit hard, no fault of the D2 there .
On my deus 1 I can tell a screwcap from the hollow sound, it's so telling.
I liked the Deus 2 I had,but i hated the 11 inch coil. Just like the Deus 1 it's unbalanced,emi magnet and no deeper imo..I love the 9 on the deus 1.. When I get another Deus 2 ,I have reservations,,it'll have the 9 inch coil .I liked the machine but the EMI from that 11 inch coil was nasty in my areas. I know the 9 inch it's probably non existent,at least that's how it is With the original Deus.. thanks again for the details

Put in an order for the manticore today but the D2 really has me drooling... if minelab doesn't release the manticore before March I'm going to have to swap out my order for this!

It’s really doing ME well Okie, but the sites with the coins have to be there. You have found some good ones for just starting out recently! What machine are you using now?…if you don’t mind saying? It’s obviously capable of finding silver! The D2 for me has been a tool I’ve been needing because sites within reasonable driving distance were effectively toast. It looks like you’re doing pretty well though! Are you still in CA?

It just HAS to be a result of the frequency sets John, I can’t think of anything else besides as you said, the specific size of the coil. And of course HOW those signals are processed. It is SO fast it’s just mind boggling.

I was going to say, frequency selection, recovery speed, separation, etc, are all playing a part here. Now we can have fast and light, instead of heavy and slow If we so choose. Very encouraging report man, and keep up the good hunting!

It just HAS to be a result of the frequency sets John

I was going to say, frequency selection, recovery speed, separation, etc, are all playing a part here.

Other than coil size, it's all about frequencies, recovery speed, and iron bias.

Frequencies:

BBS and FBS detectors main advantage is much better ID at depth. The main disadvantage is a very slow recovery speed. A slow recovery speed is going to miss a lot of coins in trashy sites, and slowing your swing speed to a crawl is not adequate enough to compare to the very fast recovery speed of detectors such as the Nox, Legend, and D2. So right off the bat, a D2, Legend, or Nox, will unmask coins better than a BBS or FBS detector.

In nonferrous trash, the key is to use frequencies in the 3 khz to 7 khz range. If you go higher than that, then a lot of coins in nonferrous trash will ID in the mid to large size foil range. Conversely, when using below around 7khz, those very same coins will ID very close to their true ID.

For coin shooting, most Nox owners will use Park 1, and Legend owners will use Park M1. Neither of these frequencies are low enough to get the best coin unmasking in nonferrous trash. The Legend’s Beach Mode MW is 4 khz and 10 khz, but weighted more toward 4 khz. That mode will give much better unmasking than the Legend’s M1, or the Nox’s Park 1. Nokta is going to modify Park mode’s M3 to be weighted the same as Beach Mode’s MW. I suspect that the Nox has a Beach Wet mode, that is weighted very low (lower than its Park 1, and similar to the Legend’s MW mode). If the Nox has such a SMF mode, that's the mode I would use for coin unmasking, not Park 1.

Recovery speed:

Provided that the detector isn’t trying to transmit and process an excessive amount of frequencies (like BBS and FBS), then modern flagship SMF detectors are capable of processing at the same fast rate. The Nox 800, Legend, and D2, can all achieve about the same recovery speed. The Nox 600 however, isn’t capable of the same processing speed as the Nox 800. Also, manufacturers can only go so fast on the recovery speed, otherwise negative effects such as audio clipping will begin to happen.

Iron Bias:

A manual iron bias control is a “must have” for SMF detectors trying to unmask coins in ferrous trash. If your SMF detector doesn’t have a manual IB control, or it has an IB control that you haven’t lowered, then you will miss coins in ferrous trash. For reasons yet unknown to me, iron bias isn't as important with single frequency detectors, compared to SMF detectors.

Conclusion:

If you use the correct frequencies on the Nox 800 and Legend (not Park 1 or M1), as well as using a medium/high recovery speed, and a low iron bias, then the Nox and Legend will unmask and separate coins about the same as the D2.

Last edited:
I was going to say, frequency selection, recovery speed, separation, etc, are all playing a part here. Now we can have fast and light, instead of heavy and slow If we so choose. Very encouraging report man, and keep up the good hunting!

Thanks as always Jeff! Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved my other machines like children! But THIS thing….WAY different animal.

Seems to like the silver...

To be honest Zee…it might like other things, I just don’t have them included yet!:lol: But yeah, it’s certainly capable of weeding out high conductors at a rate I haven’t seen before. Another factor going on with it is that it’s so light that you can easily have good coil control all of the time, which is such a paramount thing that people can overlook at times. It counts, a lot. Thanks!

Wow... impressive hoard of shiny coins! I am very happy that you are doing so well with that D2 / 9" set up!

Thanks David! You guys under snow yet? We have some coming Tuesday night so I think the run is over for awhile. The 9” coil does seem to be helping especially as a “bush beater” and working the heavy trash. All I know is that it works! Much past that…I’ll have to wait til spring to see if it was all a dream or it’s for real.:lol: Never in a million years would I have expected this to happen,really.

Thanks David! You guys under snow yet? We have some coming Tuesday night so I think the run is over for awhile. The 9” coil does seem to be helping especially as a “bush beater” and working the heavy trash. All I know is that it works! Much past that…I’ll have to wait til spring to see if it was all a dream or it’s for real.:lol: Never in a million years would I have expected this to happen,really.

Yep. Snow here and beep-beeping done until March unless we get some warm Chinook winds off the Rockies to melt the snow and soften the ground. Glad you are doing so well!

Great finds Kevin! That is a good spread of silver but finding five seateds in one season in Wisconsin is nothing short of amazing!

Great finds Kevin! That is a good spread of silver but finding five seateds in one season in Wisconsin is nothing short of amazing!

Thanks Jim! It hasn’t escaped me that the SITE is of course more important than anything and making these old burnt up fairgrounds do anything anymore is a trick. I just got a message from my dealer that the 13x11 is en route to my house! Let’s see what happens with THAT!;)

Incredible! Congrats!

Thanks a lot Mr. Surgeon! I have much hunting to do to figure out or at least have a CLUE as to what works and where, much of this is simply swinging and digging in areas I have been in before. I don’t have extensive XP experience or knowledge so realistically…the machine is doing the work right now. Which is fine with me…:lol:

Im currently using the simplex. Just got the narrow coil for it which is helping. Currently waiting on the detech 15" search coil for a few open areas i hunt in. All my silver has come from areas that have been hammered hard for drcades, i just put in lots of time and move slow!

It’s really doing ME well Okie, but the sites with the coins have to be there. You have found some good ones for just starting out recently! What machine are you using now?…if you don’t mind saying? It’s obviously capable of finding silver! The D2 for me has been a tool I’ve been needing because sites within reasonable driving distance were effectively toast. It looks like you’re doing pretty well though! Are you still in CA?

I bought a nox when they first came out and used it exclusively until I got my D2 back in (when was it?), February or March. It’s a great detector, but I absolutely love my D2! It’s so light and flickable and folds down really compactly with no cable to get in the way. Oh, and it finds stuff too! IDX is letting the cat out of the bag about how well the D2 finds stuff in those picked over places where you’ve gone back again and again with the hopes that you missed a silver. Then you take the D2 there and it leaves you scratching your head about how you missed that coin with not just an iffy signal, but a definite “it’s a coin, dig me!” signal. For those of you who live in NC, please don’t buy a D2. They’re way too complex and so hard to learn. Please just keep using whatever you got. LOL!

Im currently using the simplex. Just got the narrow coil for it which is helping. Currently waiting on the detech 15" search coil for a few open areas i hunt in. All my silver has come from areas that have been hammered hard for drcades, i just put in lots of time and move slow!

That is what it’s about…if you are happy with your results, that is what matters! Very nice!

I bought a nox when they first came out and used it exclusively until I got my D2 back in (when was it?), February or March. It’s a great detector, but I absolutely love my D2! It’s so light and flickable and folds down really compactly with no cable to get in the way. Oh, and it finds stuff too! IDX is letting the cat out of the bag about how well the D2 finds stuff in those picked over places where you’ve gone back again and again with the hopes that you missed a silver. Then you take the D2 there and it leaves you scratching your head about how you missed that coin with not just an iffy signal, but a definite “it’s a coin, dig me!” signal. For those of you who live in NC, please don’t buy a D2. They’re way too complex and so hard to learn. Please just keep using whatever you got. LOL!

You aren’t kidding Toad, it has made me question my own skills. I guess looking at it logically, there are going to be coins in specific situations which
might be found with one machine/coil and not another, no matter the price of machine used. It is the RATE at which this thing is finding things that’s the real stumper. Currently it’s the best tool I have for the job at hand, and it’s not an easy job!

You aren’t kidding Toad, it has made me question my own skills. I guess looking at it logically, there are going to be coins in specific situations which
might be found with one machine/coil and not another, no matter the price of machine used. It is the RATE at which this thing is finding things that’s the real stumper. Currently it’s the best tool I have for the job at hand, and it’s not an easy job!

I would like to point something out about all these silvers that Kevin is gobbling up with the D2. Its rather obvious but yet I dont see someone talk about it. And its not mind shattering, but I have been thinking about this post the last couple of days and is important.

This is not a knock on Kev and his abilities or even the D2 he is using.
We all know user and machine check off on ALL the boxes.

I think this is more to do with old tech VS new tech. What I would like to know is prior to Kevin's D2 (new tech) purchase, what new tech machines (Nox, Legend ETC...) in experienced hands have hit these sites? Is this simply newer tech with faster processors going over desired targets? Im sure coil size has some part in it as well. 17" vs 9" coil. Although, I got VERY good with the 17" coil carving up high tones with multiple targets under the coil where angle approach is paramount! I always felt the 6" coil on CTX was good but not great. So I wont even ask if you hit the sites with 6" coil.

The D2 is one of the best machines out for sure, prolly a touch better than the ol Noxy. Yes I had a D2 and I had higher expectations. I decided to let it go.

We all know Kevin and his abilities, I wonder if at the end of the day, its just old tech vs new tech? I would assume FBS based machines were on these sites 99% of the time? One thing I will say and I have said it in the past, is
Ive had several machines and first couple of days on the Nox, I quickly realized how much easier it cuts through the ground mineralization than other machines. Jer

Back
Top Bottom