• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Trapline Silver Bonus

jack&jill

Elite Member
Trapping season has been taking a lot of my time but after I finished the line if time allowed I would finish my day using the detector. On the first one of these outings I went to a ballfield that was built right after the end of WWII. I had hunted this place often in the past and had some success. On this day things were not going my way. Then a car pulls in and drives right up to me. A older fellow rolls down the window and asks if I am having any success. After telling him that things were not the best he tells me I'm not hunting the right area. Turns out this guy (Don) was part of the making of the field and knew the history throughout the forties and fifties up to the building of the new Fireman's park in 1962. He told me of the community festivals that took place and even where the food and beverage stands were. Even the complete layout of the parking area. All this new info paid off pretty nicely. Within a very short time I dug my first ever Silver Washington at this site and then added a Merc and then a Rosie. I took my camera with me because I wanted to get some pictures on the trap line so I got some insit. pics for a treat. The next day I returned to take advantage of the parking info and Don pulls in again only this time without much conversation he hands me a map of the new park and how that was laid out throughout the Sixties. A very generous gift for sure. Anyway was able to recover 2 Rosie's from the parking area. A couple of days later I went to the newer park and hunted a area that Don had pointed out on his map. Was again rewarded with a pair of Silver's, a Washington and another Rosie. Returned to the older park a couple of days later and put another Washington into my coffers. Last outing I went to a different community and managed a first year Rosie to add to the count. That count now stands at 94 FTY. I have hopes to return to my childhood haunts again this weekend provided the weather cooperates. I included a couple of shots from the trapline. One is a Eagles nest that the pic does not do it justice. The nest is huge, at a minimum 10 feet across. Was hoping the birds would be there as they were the day before when I didn't have the camera. Again thank you for the views and comments as they are greatly appreciated. Trapper

Attachments

• 11=8-22 .jpg
    11=8-22 .jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 11=8-22 1 .jpg
    11=8-22 1 .jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 316
  • 11=8-22 2 .jpg
    11=8-22 2 .jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 11=6-22 .jpg
    11=6-22 .jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 11=5-22 1 .jpg
    11=5-22 1 .jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 11=5-22 .jpg
    11=5-22 .jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 11=10=22 .jpg
    11=10=22 .jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 11=11=22 .jpg
    11=11=22 .jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 309
  • eagle nest 11-22 .jpg
    eagle nest 11-22 .jpg
    158 KB · Views: 311
  • eagle nest3 11-22 .jpg
    eagle nest3 11-22 .jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Wow, very nice Trapper! Totally cool that Don showed up with the full history of the Park in his head! Nice Silvers, and trapping pics. I hope you get #100 Silver soon!

Trapper, as usual, a very interesting description of the hunt with photos to compliment narrative. A very impressive haul of silvers. Pretty soon you'll have trade-in your pouch for a duffle bag to carry the loot away. Congrats on each and every silver especially #94 as you knowingly approach the century mark of silvers fty! John

I told you 100FTY was right around the corner and you're closing in fast. Attaboy Trapper ! What a great guy to give you the info and then the map. That place might just be your new honey hole. It does sound pretty promising. Congrats on some fine hunting, all the shiny and thanks for sharing the pics. Good luck. Mark

Great pics Trapper! Knowledge trumps all other considerations when it comes to detecting. And...that is one heck of a nest. Those eagles are monstrous birds!

Wow, very nice Trapper! Totally cool that Don showed up with the full history of the Park in his head! Nice Silvers, and trapping pics. I hope you get #100 Silver soon!
Appreciate your comments David, thank you. Don was a young lad as he put it and got to ride on the bulldozer as it was transform from a corn field to the ballpark. The little community held their festivals on this site from its completion until the arrival of the new park. He said the layout was pretty much the same every year only the types of cars changed in the parking area. He told me he played ball on that field from the late forty's through to 1966 except when he went into the service in the middle fifties. The last 7 years on the traveling team. It was funny because I was on a travel hard ball team and played here in twice. once in "67" and again in "68". He also gave me is phone number and told me of the location that was the ballfield prior to this field being built. He said its pretty much a overgrown field and I hope to hit it in the spring before the vegetation takes off in its growth spurt. So yes, I really am very happy that Don appeared with this wealth of history and is so willing to share it with me.
Trapper, as usual, a very interesting description of the hunt with photos to compliment narrative. A very impressive haul of silvers. Pretty soon you'll have trade-in your pouch for a duffle bag to carry the loot away. Congrats on each and every silver especially #94 as you knowingly approach the century mark of silvers fty! John
Thank you John. Your comments are truly appreciated. I hope mother nature we be cooperative in the future as I really want to reach that century mark now that it is so close. At this time we have snow on the ground and sub freezing temps. Just hope the the ground does not freeze deep as we are suppose to get a bit of a warm up the middle of next week. Won't need a bag to put 6 more into the pocket if I get the opportunity to get out there. :lol: Trapper

WOW! Congrats on all counts !
Thank you Doc, as always your replies are appreciated. Hope to get some weather reprieve so I may still pursue six more. We have not had to much cooperation from mother nature of late.
I told you 100FTY was right around the corner and you're closing in fast. Attaboy Trapper ! What a great guy to give you the info and then the map. That place might just be your new honey hole. It does sound pretty promising. Congrats on some fine hunting, all the shiny and thanks for sharing the pics. Good luck. Mark
I truly appreciate your confidence in me Mark as I hope to reach the century mark yet this year. Seems mother nature has had a adverse view on it as of late. Very high winds, snow and freezing temps all have thrown a detour into the adventures. I don't think that these two parks we provide to much more Neither is very big and the digging there the last two times have not given many signals. The one ball yard that Don told me about that existed before these two has my interest now but it seems it we have to wait until Spring before I can hunt it. If we get a thaw I still want to make another trip back to the childhood neighborhood, already have three permissions there. Trapper

Great pics Trapper! Knowledge trumps all other considerations when it comes to detecting. And...that is one heck of a nest. Those eagles are monstrous birds!
Thank you for your reply. The knowledge added immediately added rewards in both the parks but I think adding the knowledge of the site of the oldest location will be the real benefit in the future. From what Don remember of the site he said the old ball field was in use in the at least the 1920's possibly even earlier and it was also the place for the community festivals. The nest is impressive for sure. I have been watching the birds for many years and over that time the nest has grown at least double in size. We do not have many Bald Eagles in this part of the state so it is pretty unique to see.
SILVER, Congrats.
Appreciate the reply Mo, thank you. Been out a few times since making this report but it has been very slow. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom