A day in the life of a forum Admin

I think these guys are the best there is..
I think that we need to remember their work when we get some of our refund money back. Just send some of that stuff in to help them.
If you do not have Pay Pal, Just PM one of them for a name and address. Send a check.
If you like this forum, than help. PLEASE..

KEN :D

I was thinking this same thing. Hell , I'm lucky to be on here , as computer dumb as I am. I've donated to the site, and need to again, so I don't know how these things work, do the mods get paid for their work, or is it for the love of the site ? Maybe we could open a , " Mods donation box " for some Christmas cheer for the mods for their troubles and to show our appreciation. :D

I was having the same issue with tons of spammer registrations. Like you, we were manually approving new users for a while but I finally found a combo of human verification methods that have been working great.

Before the main registration page is even brought up, user must do a multiple choice image selection, then once they actually make it to the registration page they must do the google "I'm not a robot" thing, and then answer another "No Spam" verification question.

Finally, if a spambot were to actually get past all of that, we have a required field where the user must list his or her make and model of motorcycle. Spambots will just put something random here and its easy to spot, in which case I would just use the "one touch ban and clean" mod to quickly dispose of them along with anything they've posted. But they usually don't make it that far anyway. In the last 12 months we've had only 1 spammer get through, and I believe it was a human registration.

Any one of these methods alone will not work, but together they've knocked out 99.9% of spammer registrations on my site.

Maybe this combo could help you guys so that you don't have to keep approving members manually? You can find all of them over at vBulletin.org.

Guess I'd never get accepted to your site then . Ive NEVER owned a motorcycle.. LOL

I think these guys are the best there is..
I think that we need to remember their work when we get some of our refund money back. Just send some of that stuff in to help them.
If you do not have Pay Pal, Just PM one of them for a name and address. Send a check.
If you like this forum, than help. PLEASE..

KEN :D

I was thinking this same thing. Hell , I'm lucky to be on here , as computer dumb as I am. I've donated to the site, and need to again, so I don't know how these things work, do the mods get paid for their work, or is it for the love of the site ? Maybe we could open a , " Mods donation box " for some Christmas cheer for the mods for their troubles and to show our appreciation. :D

We don't get paid for what we do nor do we want to be... we volunteer to help out Carol and Vlad... anyone who wants to donate can do it to Carol and Vlad...

Your diligence is appreciated so very much. This forum is so clean and well run. Thanks for giving us all a safe place to share and be in the company of others who enjoy this hobby. God Bless.

Honestly, you guys do an awesome job at maintaining this forum! I only remember seeing one spammer, Merlin Rose (or something like that), and he/she got dealt with pretty quickly!

I let him in... couldn't find any dirt on him but I got the satisfaction of banning it when he threw up that thread you were scratching your head over :D

Letting a spammer through every now and then is good practice for the Mods only there weren't any on :lol:

Today I have banned 7 so far that have made it past the forum where most are snagged :roll:

Last edited:
Friendly Metal Detecting Forum: anyone who has had anything to do with this site as I know it...THANK YOU! The information and friendly attitudes have helped me immensely. Sorry about all those bots. If you can assign me some work, I'd be happy to share the load. Just let me know. Thank you again!

That one spammer that got through... Was it Mudpuppy?

Mud is a lot of things but not a spammer... interesting thing for me about him is that he eats road pizza ;) he should come to CT he would never have to shop in a supermarket again... deer, raccoon, fox, turtles, coyotes, cats, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes....

Mud is a lot of things but not a spammer... interesting thing for me about him is that he eats road pizza ;) he should come to CT he would never have to shop in a supermarket again... deer, raccoon, fox, turtles, coyotes, cats, squirrels, chipmunks, snakes....

A smorgasbord. With plenty of toppings. :lol:

Don't you recognize an unnecessary and unprovoked shot when you see one? :)

We don't get paid for what we do nor do we want to be... we volunteer to help out Carol and Vlad... anyone who wants to donate can do it to Carol and Vlad...

Wait!!??! I thought Vlad just gave you and Rudy a raise??!? :p;):D

Back
Top Bottom