Ok, I need to be Educated:

IF you are finding foil and pull tabs you are NOT doing anything wrong. Are you on a beach, on land, fresh water or salt water if a beach. Help us help you!

WHERE are you searching?
Mostly beach with some Upstate NY Wall hunting.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

IF you are finding foil and pull tabs you are NOT doing anything wrong. Are you on a beach, on land, fresh water or salt water if a beach. Help us help you!

WHERE are you searching?
I tried water hunting and did score a cool 2017 penny ! :-)

I tried water hunting and did score a cool 2017 penny ! :-)

Well if you look at some of my posts, I do pretty well on beaches. Your machine will work fine on fresh water beaches, not so fine on salt water beaches.

There are three main conditions that have to exist in order for you to find gold.

1 Gold has had to be lost where you are searching
2 You have to get your coil over it and it can't be deeper than your machine can go.
3 You have to make the choice to dig it.

I think it took me a few years to find my first gold ring on land. They can ring up from foil to an overload tone. If it has a broken shank, you can be sure you will get a broken iffy signal. Same with gold chains.

Getting land gold is very hard. If someone lost a ring on land they search for it. Most are probably found. If dropped in water it gets covered by sand instantly. Almost impossible to find.

If gold was super easy to find EVERYONE would be searching for it.

I think I have 19 pieces of gold this year. I haven't added them up. 53 last year. HOWEVER here are the pull tabs, bottle tops and some of the small junk I have found this year. This is NOT including bullets and shot gun shell head stamps and cartridges and other brass:

THAT is a 5 gallon pail. So I get all that and more for maybe 19 pieces of gold. Sure us water hunters make it look easy but it is in fact a chore to find it. I am positive I dig over a thousand pieces of trash for one piece of gold. However being in sand and underwater I can easily dig over a hundred pieces of trash an hour.

Keep searching and don't get discouraged. It takes a LOT of time and effort to find a piece of gold anywhere.

Well if you look at some of my posts, I do pretty well on beaches. Your machine will work fine on fresh water beaches, not so fine on salt water beaches.

There are three main conditions that have to exist in order for you to find gold.

2 You have to get your coil over it and it can't be deeper than your machine can go.

I think it took me a few years to find my first gold ring on land. They can ring up from foil to an overload tone. If it has a broken shank, you can be sure you will get a broken iffy signal. Same with gold chains.

Getting land gold is very hard. If someone lost a ring on land they search for it. Most are probably found. If dropped in water it gets covered by sand instantly. Almost impossible to find.

I think I have 19 pieces of gold this year. I haven't added them up. 53 last year. HOWEVER here are the pull tabs, bottle tops and some of the small junk I have found this year. This is NOT including bullets and shot gun shell head stamps and cartridges and other brass:

THAT is a 5 gallon pail. So I get all that and more for maybe 19 pieces of gold. Sure us water hunters make it look easy but it is in fact a chore to find it. I am positive I dig over a thousand pieces of trash for one piece of gold. However being in sand and underwater I can easily dig over a hundred pieces of trash an hour.

Keep searching and don't get discouraged. It takes a LOT of time and effort to find a piece of gold anywhere.
Great advice !!!!

In this regard, I probably pull a 5 gallon bucket for every 2 gold pieces...

Interesting. On the flipside, I'm CERTAIN, I dig far more targets, simply because of the speed of recovery (about 10 seconds per target), and the volume encountered...

In this regard, I probably pull a 5 gallon bucket for every 2 gold pieces...

Interesting. On the flipside, I'm CERTAIN, I dig far more targets, simply because of the speed of recovery (about 10 seconds per target), and the volume encountered...

I usually do not count my junk targets. As I posted, this is SOME. I toss a lot away, put brass and copper in another bucket and lead in a third one. We both know there are a lot of trash targets in most the beach spots.

Mostly beach with some Upstate NY Wall hunting...

As for the "wall hunting", I'm assuming you're talking about the old time colonial rock walls ? If so, then it's a given that that is not a place where you'd be angling for gold jewelry. That's more of a relic hunter or coin hunter type location.

As for "beach": The fact that you're getting so much aluminum, and zero gold rings, leads me to think you're hunting lame junky beaches. I too can think of beaches where I'd dig 200+ aluminum (old-time tabs, etc...) before EVER finding a gold ring (we might hunt those zones for old coins, but are not holding our breath for gold jewelry). Yet I can think of other beaches where I've dug 7 gold rings in a day, with ZERO aluminum objects . D/t mother nature washed all the lightweight sand and light aluminum objects and zinc out with the erosion.

So perhaps you are going to have to find more affluent beaches. Get out of the picnic zone sections, and concentrate on the volleyball and swim section . Concentrate on going strictly after storm erosion perhaps (if it's an ocean beach you were speaking of).

I usually do not count my junk targets. As I posted, this is SOME. I toss a lot away, put brass and copper in another bucket and lead in a third one. We both know there are a lot of trash targets in most the beach spots.

There is that. I know beach hunting I had to empty my bag about 3 times a hunt. I do that once every hunt or two on land. Hadn't considered that.

Definitely you're into the trash!

Easiest way to find gold? Do these 2 things: 1) become a US Senator 2) pass a law requiring all pull tabs and bottlecaps be made of 14K.

Then we will ALL find more gold than you could imagine.

Seriously though, gold is a sidetrip of metal detecting. It is not the final destination. (ain't that deep, grasshopper?). As stated location is critical. It must be in the ground to be found. So LOTS of foot traffic is required. Also who makes up the foot traffic. Children rarely wear gold so tot lots are not overall prime spots. Athletic fields would be, especially if it attracts and is used by people with higher incomes.

Luck is also a factor. Eventually it visits all of us. You will find some if you persevere. So go get elected fast...

Gold is so elusive most of the time that more often than not I don't even try for it. When I do try for it , what I do is concentrate on gold range signals....I block out everything but those so I don't hear them , of course ignoring all other signals works too but its best not to even hear them. I spend a hunt now and then or just a certain amount of time concentrating on gold range , until I get sick of the junk and decide to go back to hunting coin range. But if you can resist the urge to dig coins or high tone targets for a while then you can maximize your time to hunt gold , since it usually takes a lot of time. I let my mood for the day determine what I want to concentrate on. And as others have said , location means everything , and gold can possibly be found anywhere....but its not necessarily found " everywhere " , you have to improve your odds by hunting where its more likely to be found.

Why do you think you are doing something wrong??? No need to get down on yourself. The stuff you are digging indicates that you would be finding gold if it was there. It took me close to two years to find my first gold ring.

In over five years I have found a total of three gold rings while detecting the dirt. My success at the beach is much better.

Well no, I know I am doing something wrong and can't figure out what but that does not stop me !

(people's hands shrink and they fall off in the fall).

:laughing: D@mn it Skippy! I d@mn near spewed my beer!

To h3ll with the detector, just look for the hand. Hopefully it's the left hand and will have the ring attached! :laughing:

R5

:laughing: D@mn it Skippy! I d@mn near spewed my beer!

To h3ll with the detector, just look for the hand. Hopefully it's the left hand and will have the ring attached! :laughing:

R5

Well, then. Maybe I could have said that better. On the positive side, shriveled hands are a lot easier to spot when you're out eyeball hunting. (but if I say it that way, you probably think I'm hunting eyeballs...)

The best part of the shriveled hands, though, is the fact they taste like jerky. Yum!

Well, then. Maybe I could have said that better. On the positive side, shriveled hands are a lot easier to spot when you're out eyeball hunting. (but if I say it that way, you probably think I'm hunting eyeballs...)

The best part of the shriveled hands, though, is the fact they taste like jerky. Yum!

At's okay Skippy. I once wrote I got my yearning for metal detecting from hunting "goof balls" (golf balls) when I was younger. :laughing: Classic! I just let it ride.

R5

At's okay Skippy. I once wrote I got my yearning for metal detecting from hunting "goof balls" (golf balls) when I was younger. :laughing: Classic! I just let it ride.

R5

Yep... we gotta OWN IT. :) The thing about metal detecting, is you automatically become less self-conscious about silly things. I think the hobby forces you to... because we're pretty much "that weirdo in the park with the metal detector."

That's how I describe my hobby, at work, when people ask what I do for a hobby. It always gets a laugh.

After being photographed by my wife's friends at the park, while I'm detecting and then being sent video (to her) that adds commentary, such as, "Oh... Look what your man is doing.. I should note, he's ALL man... *giggles* I'm surprised all the ladies aren't lining up!"
*Yeah... that actually happened... my wife was hysterically laughing when I got home*

Little things like grammar problems? They just roll off the back!

LOL

Skippy

Yep... we gotta OWN IT. :) The thing about metal detecting, is you automatically become less self-conscious about silly things. I think the hobby forces you to... because we're pretty much "that weirdo in the park with the metal detector."

That's how I describe my hobby, at work, when people ask what I do for a hobby. It always gets a laugh.

After being photographed by my wife's friends at the park, while I'm detecting and then being sent video (to her) that adds commentary, such as, "Oh... Look what your man is doing.. I should note, he's ALL man... *giggles* I'm surprised all the ladies aren't lining up!"
*Yeah... that actually happened... my wife was hysterically laughing when I got home*

Little things like grammar problems? They just roll off the back!

LOL

Skippy
Funny how I am asked if I am old enough to be MD !

Back
Top Bottom