Tiny 1890s druggist bottle found in creek

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Was out walking along a creek west of me when I saw some glass shards so I had to investigate. Mostly turn of century pieces but found this Ritter & Seltzer 3" medicine bottle undamaged. No idea where it's from but it's made by Whitall-Tatum glass co with a patent date of Jan. 24, 1888.

Attachments

• bottle a.jpg
    bottle a.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 822
  • bottle b.jpg
    bottle b.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 859
  • bottle c.jpg
    bottle c.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 814
I found a listing in an 1895 American Druggist & Pharmaceutical directory that mentions an S.T. Seltzer that ran a pharmacy called "Seltzer & Ritter" in Columbus, OH. Cool find!

Nice find Glasshopper. I'm sure your eyes are fine-tuned and calibrated to pick up the slightest hint of old glass lying around.

Just want to mention (for benefit of your readers) that the bottle's maker, the Whitall-Tatum glass company also made a lot of glass insulators.

Nice add to your collection... Jim

I found a listing in an 1895 American Druggist & Pharmaceutical directory that mentions an S.T. Seltzer that ran a pharmacy called "Seltzer & Ritter" in Columbus, OH. Cool find!

If this is from there it sure came a long way. Thx!

Nice find Glasshopper. I'm sure your eyes are fine-tuned and calibrated to pick up the slightest hint of old glass lying around.

Yes but this time of year with all the vegitation, I look along creeks.

Just want to mention (for benefit of your readers) that the bottle's maker, the Whitall-Tatum glass company also made a lot of glass insulators.

Nice add to your collection... Jim

Yep! They made a TON of insulators through the years.:yes:

Cool bottle with unusual label, I've never seen that on a med bottle.

Yes a slug plate, probably the smallest I've got. The bottle was made with the circle area, then a special mold (slug) with the store name could be stuck into the mold. Yes not many meds have them.

Slug plate bottle eh? Thanks for teaching me something new today. Real cool bottle find, G-hop!

"Slug Plates" (or "plates") allowed makers to customize the same type generic bottle to specific users. More info on "slug plates" - scroll down to "plates" section:

https://sha.org/bottle/morphology.htm

Slug plates make bottles much more collectible as opposed to common "slicks".

Back
Top Bottom