Fur trade item?

TDB_digs

Hey all!

This is an iron piece my dad found on the beach of my family's cottage property in Canada. He gave it a good rust treatment with evapo-rust and this is how it ended up.

My family has been on the property since the 1940s, but I have also found a few fur trade era pieces (a gun barrel, trade axe, buttons, kettle part etc) that date to around the mid 1600s -late 1700s.

I can't figure out what this is! It looks somewhat crude and old, but there isn't much rust damage aside from the missing pieces. The other items I've found had more dimpling after rust removal. As you can hopefully see, it was one a single piece, and has a socket shaped hole through it. Also the little knobby bit still attached to half of it has a hole that extends down into the socket.

At first I thought it was part of a pipe tomahawk ( the knob being a tiny tobacco bowl) but there is no evidence of any blade being attached to it.

Could also be a piece of more modern boat hardware or something. Any ideas?

IMG_4872.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4873.jpg

IMG_4874.jpg

Looks like some wrought iron farm tool that broke. It could be that old but without a makers name it would be hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom