What's the most frustrating thing to dig?

Modern Corona or Heineken bottle caps. They sound very similar to coins. Wish all those lazy drunks would just toss them in the trash instead of on the ground.

Can slaw, there's so much and you can't notch it out. Lawn maintenance workers don't hesitate before running them over. I usually know its going to be but think it maybe something good next to trash.

Small pieces of wire. They not only sound good, but seem to throw their signals a little, making them hard to pinpoint. Then they giggle maniacally in my trash pouch at all the time they sucked from my hunt...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The most annoying thing I've dug this year was a in ground nest of yellow jackets :shock: Luckily I was only stung once but had to stand there in the woods like an idiot for well over an hour before I could retrieve my detector and gear. I sure hope that's the last nest I dig.

1. Blobs of molten aluminium
2. Canslaw
3. Pulltabs (especially the beaver tail style)
4. Copper/brass washers
5. Copper nails
6. Lead sinkers
7. Aluminium bottle caps
8. Copper pipes
9. 1c and 2c coins
10. Large, deep iron.

Did I miss anything? :laughing:

Those damn shotgun head stamps.....Tick me right off. Also those triangular iron blades from old scythe blade mowers, always sound like a deep large cent near iron or something else good

Those tarp or sign Grommets give a guy the fits...very common at Sport fields...they sure make a guy think Ring or multidenom stack...they give a crisp clear signal and sound just enough right...the bummer is theres various shapes and sizes and amalgamations, so a guy cant really find a Norm to disc out if he wanted to...

..Grommets ping off a tight crisp signal...like a large Mens Gold Class ring...which are also found around Sports fields...Hence my displeasure with grommets, Hopes up then dashed!....:mad::laughing:

There's lots of things that have been mentioned but when I'm relic hunting trash brass that sounds like a CW button just kills me.

Those new pull tabs that are anodized in different colors. They seem to sound even better than the old pull tabs on a saltwater beach.

I hate Finding just another silver dime, I want some silver half dollars.
JK. I have never dug a single silver yet.

I agree with Martin V3i

those stupid deep screw caps. Especially one deep under a 3 inch tree root and assorted rocks. How the heck does modern trash that is so light get so darn deep and under roots?

I think for me it is that I moved from NY to GA and just started Metal detecting with some of the coolest people I have ever met around 4 years ago. But now when I go to NY I can dig old stuff in the middle of the Kmart parking lot.. (Its not that easy)
In Georgia it is a bit of a challenge to find old places or if you find them you will be the 5th person there.. I have found some amazing spots in GA don't get me wrong. The civil war trenches I have found are just amazing to think of the soldiers were sitting there getting ready to fight.

Back
Top Bottom