Trying to Figure a Shaft Combination for a New Excalibur

Waterhead

I should have a new Excalibur showing up at my door in the next couple days.

My 800 has done me very well over the last couple years with many gold rings. But an unexpected control panel replacement and a second replacement due to flooding, I’m going to the Excal for my water machine. Won’t be too far down the road that I won’t have a warranty so I may stay out submerging this unit and limit it to shallow water hunting.

Anyhow, looking for some experience with a good shaft set up that’s easy on the shoulder. I’m sure I’ll be doing some swinging on the tide line as well.

I was looking towards an Anderson straight shaft upper that places the unit at the end of the shaft and a stork leg lower. Not dead set on a specific mfg. or shaft set-up until I hear back from some of you folks who use this unit.

Thanks all,

John

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new Excalibur!

What I use may not be the best for you since I hunt in the water only and the water is calmer then the ocean. Mine is under the elbow, which out of the water could be heavy, and compared the weight of the Nox would feel like a brick on a stick compared.

I do like Anderson products and I like Steves detector rods, specially his lower shaft cam lock. I would check with Phil at Myers and see what kind of deal he can give on those.

Good Luck with the Excalibur and make sure to keep those cables sprayed with 303, or something similar.

I use behind the elbow and a long shaft. Having the control box behind the elbow gives me more length on the handphones when I swing, and the longer shaft maximises my coverage per sweep

Owl Power Handle

Developed over the last 2 years, tested and in production.

Pictures within a week or two.

Also a version for the Equinox

Ready to deliver in about one month.

Guaranteed like nothing on the market and a huge improvement over any
Handle on the market anywhere in the world.

Chuck (designer and former owner of the Stealth scoop)

The only time I've ever looked forward to getting "The Shaft".

New Shaft

The only time I've ever looked forward to getting "The Shaft".

KOB, now that’s pretty darn funny!

I’m looking forward to hitting the water and try this new Excalibur which should arrive tomorrow. I am curious about the new shaft design set up for sure. But, it’s like being a kid at Christmas and finally getting that new BB gun you’ve been drooling over at the hardware store. Got the gun but Santa forgot the BB’s.

Ah, I may wait and see what the set up looks like but man, I gotta’ hit that water soon.

Thanks,

John Boy

Last edited:
I have an anderson but honestly you could make one very easily that would work just as well. I run mine with the control pod and battery pod under the cuff, works well for me!
As OBN mentioned, keep those cables lubed with a good silicon spray, they are the first thing to go on excals...

Got Ya

I have an anderson but honestly you could make one very easily that would work just as well. I run mine with the control pod and battery pod under the cuff, works well for me!

As OBN mentioned, keep those cables lubed with a good silicon spray, they are the first thing to go on excals...

Thanks a bunch!

For years, after every beach hunt, I always washed my machine with fresh water and a mild detergent. After it dries, I always hit it with Marine CRC spray. I have never had any issues from rot or dried out cables. I am going to switch to 303 spray and just ordered some.

Also, I have always used a Velcro band to secure my headphone to the machine when their not on my head. I commonly witness folks dropping their headsets off their detector and breaking stuff. Probably more important on the Excalibur for sure.

I appreciate everyone’s input.

John Boy

I have tried under the elbow, strapped to my chest, and finally out the end of the shaft back above the water most of the time. The later is my favorite hands down. Think about balance. With my setup the weight is balanced. Under the arm is heavier and makes your elbow and biceps take the stress. If you hunt calm water then under the arm would work fine and may be preferred. If you swing that setup on wet sand out of the water or gawd forgive on dry sand then you are going to get tired. Make your setup like a see saw balancing the coil and shaft weight with the pod.

T-Minus 13

I gave in

WaterHead (John, the one who started this thread) didn't want to wait to see (and possibly buy) my final production handle etc., so he talked me into sending him my latest proto-type to try out. It is serial number 1 so I will need it back for my collection.

He and a friend is sworn to secrecy.

Final production handles are still a month away.

The picture shows me doing some testing/hunting with it near Saint-Tropez, France 2 weeks ago.

Chuck

Attachments

• France detecting 1.jpg
    France detecting 1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 176

T minus 8 days till showing..?

You sell handles only? I need one.. for another project.

WaterHead (John, the one who started this thread) didn't want to wait to see (and possibly buy) my final production handle etc., so he talked me into sending him my latest proto-type to try out. It is serial number 1 so I will need it back for my collection.

He and a friend is sworn to secrecy.

Final production handles are still a month away.

The picture shows me doing some testing/hunting with it near Saint-Tropez, France 2 weeks ago.

Chuck

Well you got me real curious. But how much more of handle can a handle be really? I mean, I modded mine up and it has been a game changer in the water with palm support and a strap for water resistance. Unless you added a digital ID display to it, I am not sure what else you can do but look forward to it.

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 113
Back
Top Bottom