Shovel Shopping

I'm 6' 3" and the Mini Sampson or similarly sized is all I need. How deep are you guys digging???

I will say that if I had to replace my Mini Sampson I may entertain the Model 58 (S) - Little Eagle.

I know this is an old thread but...

Just went to the Predator website to order a "barracuda". I'm OK with the price of the shovel but the shipping (to Oregon) is 25.00. Guess I'll have to make due with something in the local hardware store.

Revisit this thread please

Ok, I’ve read through all the suggestions on here and I have but one question… why has nobody mentioned Grave Digger Tools at all? Are they new since this thread? I’ve really been contemplating going with a hand digger as well as a shovel from them because they look tough as nails, like 500 nails. Any opinions on their craftsmanship? TIA

https://gravediggertools.com/

Model 55 - Barracuda - Shovel is nice as all get out! Thank you for the advice/referral!

That's the model I use as well, strongest I've found so far. I've used just about all the T handled shovels, minus a couple. I've seen the lesche and the whites groundhog bend like a wet noodle, I cant see that happening with a predator. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I've been using the Root Slayer Nomad for the past year. I went out this morning to do a farm hunt and this is what happened to my shovel :\

To be fair I was prying up on an old iron plow blade and putting a lot of force on it and it just snapped. I love this shovel so I'm going to order another one....

Exact same thing happened to my nomad too…the first one. I like the design so much that I bought a second and it’s still going strong. I love the inverted V design of the point. It cuts right through a root instead of glancing off to the side.

Ok, I’ve read through all the suggestions on here and I have but one question… why has nobody mentioned Grave Digger Tools at all? Are they new since this thread? I’ve really been contemplating going with a hand digger as well as a shovel from them because they look tough as nails, like 500 nails. Any opinions on their craftsmanship? TIA

https://gravediggertools.com/

I have 2 of their shovels. You won't bend them. Incredibly rugged.

That's the model I use as well, strongest I've found so far. I've used just about all the T handled shovels, minus a couple. I've seen the lesche and the whites groundhog bend like a wet noodle, I cant see that happening with a predator. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I have broken every shovel i have ever tried in less than a year EXCEPT the predator tools...whites, lesche, many different lowes/home depot specials, they all broke. My predator tools(i think barracuda) has held up a few years now.

I have used my Sampson 31" T-handle shovel for well over 5 years, digging in hard black Texas clay. It only bent once during the first week. It bent back with little effort, and I just adopted the policy of being logical when pushing a hard dig, and then dig smarter. I never even worry about the integrity of my Sampson. In a way, it "trained me just a little." Never had a problem since that first little bend.

Common sense digs is all needed.

I have 2 of their shovels. You won't bend them. Incredibly rugged.

Which ones do you have and which do you prefer? Do you have the sidekick? I asked if they would custom make a black sheath for one but no answer in a few days. I know it’s a one man shop but no reply at all kinda scares me if something WAS to happen to the shovel. Although a couple online retailers sell them so I may be able to go through them for a replacement if I buy from one of them.

Which ones do you have and which do you prefer? Do you have the sidekick? I asked if they would custom make a black sheath for one but no answer in a few days. I know it’s a one man shop but no reply at all kinda scares me if something WAS to happen to the shovel. Although a couple online retailers sell them so I may be able to go through them for a replacement if I buy from one of them.

I have the NEMESIS and the TOMBSTONE. No sidekick. Eric is a great guy, I've dealt with him a few times. He's straight up !

The Nemesis is what I would recommend if you're hunting nice yards and parks. If you're woods hunting, then the Tombstone.

I have the NEMESIS and the TOMBSTONE. No sidekick. Eric is a great guy, I've dealt with him a few times. He's straight up !

The Nemesis is what I would recommend if you're hunting nice yards and parks. If you're woods hunting, then the Tombstone.

Talked to him on the phone today and I agree, really great guy! After talking to him and based on your feedback I’m going with the nemesis. I like the 9” long blade too. Who says size doesn’t matter ;)

+1 on Excalibur

I purchased my most recent shovel from Excalibur in Utah and have been quite pleased. Having owned several other very good brands, I wasn’t sure what to expect from a lesser known, at least to me, company. The build quality is very solid and performs as it should in the field, which for me is desert sage brush and rocky mountain terrain. The 40” long Sir Kay model suit me much more comfortably than the 31” Sampson model I own. It’s been great addition to my gear and I would recommend.

Estema8tor,
Don't do it...Get a Predator Ranger.....They are the best...He even hardens the shovel part....You will not break it...I love mine....Pete

Shovel

I’m am definitely a original root slayer user with the O on th top of handle so my finger can get jammed up in it also I have to saw my back up is the Home Depot mini spade shovel works like a charm and if it breaks I will buy another one for $10 from Dover NJ

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-35-piranha SWEET UPGRADE ! Get both the right & left side rubber boots for your foot !

The Piranha has been a great shovel for relic hunting, which is just about all I do. In fact, I plan to order a second one soon.

As for the footpads... I didn't install any and haven't had any issues. However, I think I'm on borrowed time. I see two advantages to using them:

1. It seems like it would hurt a lot less to have a boot slip and your leg hit the footpad rather than the shovel.
  2. They certainly help protect the bottom of your shoes/boots.

I'm curious about the need for 2 foot pads. I find that I always use the same foot when digging. It actually feels odd to try to use the other foot to stomp on the shovel blade. My plan is to put only one pad on each shovel since the other would be a waste of money and added weight.

Are most people one-foot diggers?

Full Battery

One for each side , 2 nuts for each pad you put on , I guess you can just put 1 pad on , If you want a handy cap looking shovel howboughtit :lol:

Attachments

• P1010413.jpg
    P1010413.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 373
I switched from my lesche to a gravedigger sidekick and it is awesome. I also use a anaconda nx6 for fields and woods. I have put over 200 hours using the sidekick last 7 months on the curb strips and yards.

Back
Top Bottom