I've got the 200 year old schoolhouse blues

Copet

I'm really at a loss for words tonight. I've lived in NW Pennsylvania now for the last seven years, and I've driven by this property 100 times if not 1000. I'd always pass rather slowly, looking and hoping I'd see the owners outside doin yard work, etc.. I found out a year or so ago from their neighbors that the owner lived 2 hours south of us and came up on the holidays and weekends to upkeep the property. All I knew is there was there was a very old home. With a even older red brick building with a granite foundation, which I assumed was a oneroom schoolhouse. Well today, I drove by the property at lunch, and Bam!!! I see a 50 foot camper and a truck in the driveway. I drove by slowly to see that there was an older gentleman dumping grass in the nearby woods from the mower. This was my only chance to inquire about the property and possibly the only chance to get permission to hunt this jaw dropping property (pic will follow) I get out of the car, it's starting to drizzle. I approach the gent, we meet and greet at a respectable distance. After a good 10 minute conversation with the homeowner. I found out that his home dated to 1820. On the property stands a structurally sound one room schoolhouse that predates the home!!!! I found out that the schoolhouse was converted twice in the last 200 years. Originally, a oneroom schoolhouse, secondly it was a chicken house / processing house. Lastly, it was a Deer House! That's right. A Deer house, Apparently, 80 years ago the owners parents had such a Deer population, that they let the Deer run the roost. They kept corn and straw/bedding for the Deer along with old farm equipment. There are two streams run through the property and well as a cornfield across the road. He explained that his parents gated in the Deer and kinda kept them as pets.
I didn't interrupt, I let him finish and asked several questions. He answered everything and answered very politely. I figured, well CJ, If you're going to ask, Do it now! We built a rapport, he was laughing, I was laughing, etc... Well sir, I'm a bit of a history buff, hence me stopping by your property. Would it be ok with you if one day I stop by and do some metaldetecting on your beautiful property? Nope! My wife and I don't like anyone on our property, she has a machine that she likes to fool around with finding old nails and stuff. It keeps her busy 🤮 My response was simply. I completely understand. I really appreciate your time and candor. My only tip to your wife sir is to dig every signal that she gets in her arc of the metaldetecting covenant yard. I screamed filth flarrin flarrin filth as I slowly drove away in the rain.

That's a cool story despite the let down. "Domesticated" deer - they must have had some tall fences or really tame deer.

Since you’re kinda new at this. Don’t make my mistake. I got a permission at an old school house.bone of my first permissions if not my first. My mistake was showing up every day. The guy must have thought I was moving in So he kicked me out. I was so excited to have a good spot that I didn’t think. Live and learn

I'm really at a loss for words tonight. I've lived in NW Pennsylvania now for the last seven years, and I've driven by this property 100 times if not 1000. I'd always pass rather slowly, looking and hoping I'd see the owners outside doin yard work, etc.. I found out a year or so ago from their neighbors that the owner lived 2 hours south of us and came up on the holidays and weekends to upkeep the property. All I knew is there was there was a very old home. With a even older red brick building with a granite foundation, which I assumed was a oneroom schoolhouse. Well today, I drove by the property at lunch, and Bam!!! I see a 50 foot camper and a truck in the driveway. I drove by slowly to see that there was an older gentleman dumping grass in the nearby woods from the mower. This was my only chance to inquire about the property and possibly the only chance to get permission to hunt this jaw dropping property (pic will follow) I get out of the car, it's starting to drizzle. I approach the gent, we meet and greet at a respectable distance. After a good 10 minute conversation with the homeowner. I found out that his home dated to 1820. On the property stands a structurally sound one room schoolhouse that predates the home!!!! I found out that the schoolhouse was converted twice in the last 200 years. Originally, a oneroom schoolhouse, secondly it was a chicken house / processing house. Lastly, it was a Deer House! That's right. A Deer house, Apparently, 80 years ago the owners parents had such a Deer population, that they let the Deer run the roost. They kept corn and straw/bedding for the Deer along with old farm equipment. There are two streams run through the property and well as a cornfield across the road. He explained that his parents gated in the Deer and kinda kept them as pets.
I didn't interrupt, I let him finish and asked several questions. He answered everything and answered very politely. I figured, well CJ, If you're going to ask, Do it now! We built a rapport, he was laughing, I was laughing, etc... Well sir, I'm a bit of a history buff, hence me stopping by your property. Would it be ok with you if one day I stop by and do some metaldetecting on your beautiful property? Nope! My wife and I don't like anyone on our property, she has a machine that she likes to fool around with finding old nails and stuff. It keeps her busy 🤮 My response was simply. I completely understand. I really appreciate your time and candor. My only tip to your wife sir is to dig every signal that she gets in her arc of the metaldetecting covenant yard. I screamed filth flarrin flarrin filth as I slowly drove away in the rain.

giant pain in da ass,ain't it?..keep tryin'' is all!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Since you’re kinda new at this. Don’t make my mistake. I got a permission at an old school house.bone of my first permissions if not my first. My mistake was showing up every day. The guy must have thought I was moving in So he kicked me out. I was so excited to have a good spot that I didn’t think. Live and learn

Funny, I remember my first beer! I am in no way new to detecting or gaining permissions. Nor have I never made the mistake of wearing out my welcome in any metaldetecting situation. I have several permissions that I'm currently hunting and welcome back anytime 😇

i wanted to embark on a campaign of door knocking, but i am so tied up with "curb strips"
i keep putting it off,and hunting "the strips" has proved fairly lucrative. i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I wouldn't fret too much over it. If the school wasn't in use during the 1900s there would not be a great chance of finding many old coins dropped by children. Fact is that before 1900 and even before 1930 children rarely carried any coins in most areas. I have hunted for fifty years here in the northeast and always found the most coins at schools that were active from the 1930s-present and when I was hunting a lot of schools and school sites all these sites were virgin. I have always found better hunting for early coins at old churches rather than really early schools. Back when a man was lucky to make a dollar a day and earlier a kid just was never given a dime to carry around at school.

Very neat story. My initial thought was to offer his wife help on how to use the detector better. Or let her use your more advanced detector. Just something to earn their grace so you can hunt it.

Very neat story. My initial thought was to offer his wife help on how to use the detector better. Or let her use your more advanced detector. Just something to earn their grace so you can hunt it.

KOB, I was going to post the same thing. Obviously great minds think alike!:p

I wouldn't fret too much over it. If the school wasn't in use during the 1900s there would not be a great chance of finding many old coins dropped by children. Fact is that before 1900 and even before 1930 children rarely carried any coins in most areas. I have hunted for fifty years here in the northeast and always found the most coins at schools that were active from the 1930s-present and when I was hunting a lot of schools and school sites all these sites were virgin. I have always found better hunting for early coins at old churches rather than really early schools. Back when a man was lucky to make a dollar a day and earlier a kid just was never given a dime to carry around at school.

Thank you for your kind words and vote of confidence!

Don't worry about the schoolhouse. I think they're over rated as far as finding old coins (pre clad). Back before WWII kids carried very little money to school if any at all. Sure there was activity there but I don't see where there was really any money to be lost at these sites. Likely maybe a few IHP's but I wouldn't expect more than that. Just IMO.

Back
Top Bottom