Old Pocket Watch

diggin4clad

Elite Member
This Hamilton pocket watch belonged to my grandfather. I've been trying to find out it's probable date of manufacture and how much (or how little) it's worth. The back says that it's 14k gold filled and a serial# on the back says K073989. I do know that it dates back to before 1950 and possibly may be much older because my grandfather was born in 1904.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 713
Neat old watch ... especially since it belonged to your grandpa. I have no idea on value except to day it might be as much sentimental as monetary.

Nice watch. Without any looking around, I would hazard a lowest ballpark guess at around $100. Probably more than that, with the case. Hamiltons were fine quality timepieces, but not the extremely valuable kind.

Back in the day ..people who worked for a larger company if they had so many years in Service to the company then they would often be presented with a Gold Watch as a Retirement gift.

If this was the case then Perhaps you can find out thereabouts when he retired.. would give you a ballpark

Neat old watch ... especially since it belonged to your grandpa. I have no idea on value except to day it might be as much sentimental as monetary.
Thanks, i'd bet that it's not really worth much but to me it's priceless. My grandfather was my role model when I was a young kid.

Hi Diggin4clad,

Is that Serial number on the back of the watch case or on the back of the movement inside? The movement serial number helps to date the watch.

Check this web site which has Hamilton serial numbers and manufacturing dates.

http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/hamilton.html

Jim
Hi Jim....the serial# is on the back of the watch case.

Nice watch. Without any looking around, I would hazard a lowest ballpark guess at around $100. Probably more than that, with the case. Hamiltons were fine quality timepieces, but not the extremely valuable kind.
Thanks.....maybe if I took it to a jeweler they could give me a rough idea as to value.

Back in the day ..people who worked for a larger company if they had so many years in Service to the company then they would often be presented with a Gold Watch as a Retirement gift.

If this was the case then Perhaps you can find out thereabouts when he retired.. would give you a ballpark
My grandfather was a self employed house painter throughout his career so this watch was definitely not a retirement gift.

There should be a serial number on the movement as well. They SHOULD match but don't always. Model 2974B serial numbers started with a K....which would date it to around 1941ish. The picture is close...

If you take the back off, look near the "bottom" of the movement...right near the balance cock...it should have the model number there...as well as the serial number

The serial # on the watch case is for the watch case. The watch movement will have it's own s/n and you can use the link posted for the particulars on your watch

Back in the day you would pick the watch (the works) and the case separately.
The serial # on the "works" will give you an idea of the production date. Hamiltons are easy to look up. You will need to remove the case cove to get the watches serial #. Also, the amount of jewels can play a part on the watches value.

I can't get the watch back open to see the serial number on the working parts.
Some watch cases have a screw on/off back. Some pop off.. do you a slight tap on the back cover where it contacts the case?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom