Compass Challenger X-100

MississippiRob

A couple of days ago, I stopped at a local pawnshop in search of a small, inexpensive detector for my youngest son. They didn’t have but one detector on hand, an old Compass Challenger X-100 that they’ve had in the back room for a couple of years. Nobody has shown interest in the thing since it came in, and the owner had no idea if it even works.

It looks to be in really good condition, and I’m considering making him an offer since it looks like it was probably a decent detector in its day. I’m hoping that some of the folks here who’ve been in the hobby for a while could pass along their experiences with it. Also wondering what one might be worth in the modern push-button, digital era.

I’m new to detecting and have just gotten my first detector, a Tracker IV, just over a week ago, so I have almost nothing to base my decision on.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve been searching and reading what I’m finding.

I’ve even tried to decipher the few Spanish YouTube videos that I’ve found. (I should have paid more attention in class, those thirty years ago.)

I never had an X-100 but I had an X-80. It was a geeat machine but it always acted up after using it for abour half an hour. I found a number of old coins with it. I sold it to a friend who moved and never paid me for it. The last I heard he had it fixed and it worked fine.

Like other powerful single freq detectors it is way more impressive in air tests or in low mineral ground than in mineralized ground.

Back
Top Bottom