• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Amber heartbreaker

amc rulz

Forum Supporter
I dug this local Bitters almost 40 years ago when I was a teen...sigh.

Attachments

• 5D124737-FAE4-480B-B1BC-50663BDB6D20.jpg
    5D124737-FAE4-480B-B1BC-50663BDB6D20.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 406
  • EF3289E3-4C2D-4FA5-A9BA-DD3E70CF3BB9.jpg
    EF3289E3-4C2D-4FA5-A9BA-DD3E70CF3BB9.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 364
Oh man that is a heart breaker but still a great bottle for the shelf. I don’t let dings and cracks bother me since I’m not in it for the money. Of course, perfect would be great

Heartbreaker is right! That's not a very common one either. Still, it's good that you kept it. We always hope another will come along - sometimes they do -- sometimes they don't. I found (in an antique mall, no less) a very rare local milk bottle (only a few are known by me) and I accidently dropped it. Always hoped to find another, but some twenty years later, I still have not found one. But I still scour everywhere looking.

Like yacorie said, even if a bottle has flaws, bring it home anyway. It may end up being the only one you ever see.

It is a great souvenir and testament to your early interest in the hobby. Always awesome to see something old like that. And to think, they just threw them away like we do our plastic.

When I was growing up in the country there was an apparent bottle dump at a former home site. When I was out rabbit hunting I'd sometimes go there and shoot the old bottles with my .22. I wonder what I'd find if I could go there and dig in the dirt.

When I was growing up in the country there was an apparent bottle dump at a former home site. When I was out rabbit hunting I'd sometimes go there and shoot the old bottles with my .22. I wonder what I'd find if I could go there and dig in the dirt.

Worth a try.

we used to do the same thing where I grew up in PA. This year, I went back and dug deep in the actual cellar hole because there are houses there now and we found nothing but broken glass.

My earliest memory of collecting started on Christmas Eve about 1975. I was curious about the old crawlspce in the cellar of my grandparent’s 100+ yo farmhouse. Shined a light back in the corner, saw glass. I pulled out an amber Paine’s Celery Compound, and an aqua Kennedy’s Medical Discovery. There were also a dozen or more skirted embossed blob top beers, including large two quart and gallon sized that I’ve never seen since then.

Much of my collection was lost years later, when a top display shelf bracket broke, taking down several other shelves with it. I also had a dozen or so local embossed cork top medicines, and Bitters. I lost dozens of my favorites. :(

My earliest memory of collecting started on Christmas Eve about 1975. I was curious about the old crawlspce in the cellar of my grandparent’s 100+ yo farmhouse. Shined a light back in the corner, saw glass. .

Here's some stuff I found very early in my digging bottles "career", under a 1865 house. Early soldered seam Corn can, a paint can, a 1920s bottle-shaped can (Justrite, which may have contained carbide for miners' lamps), small doll, and a nice Peter Hand beer bottle with the bail and porcelain stopper still attached and working. Also Merchant's gargling Oil, Lockport, NY in emerald green with most of the label preserved. I was able to remove it and preserve it separately. There were some old pointed- toe shoes that you used a button-hook for also.

Yes, gotta check those crawlspaces.

Attachments

• SS857170.jpg
    SS857170.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 270
  • SS857165.jpg
    SS857165.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 261
  • SS857164.jpg
    SS857164.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 271
  • SS857163.jpg
    SS857163.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 263
  • SS857161.jpg
    SS857161.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 257
  • SS857169.jpg
    SS857169.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 293
  • SS857171.jpg
    SS857171.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 251
  • SS857173.jpg
    SS857173.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
GLASSHOPPER, very nicely preserved tin and I like the gargling oil bottle, nice color and you have the label!

Great that you were able to keep hold of those things and still have them.

My brother lives in Ohio in an old farm house with a dirt crawl space. He was telling me the other day that he noticed a bunch of bottles in one corner that had been sprayed with spray insulation when they were redoing the crawlspace. He says he's going to go get them and see if they can be cleaned up - we will see.

Back
Top Bottom