Making progress!

Crackerjack

Elite Member
I made it into a bigger city today, and found my way to Lowe's. Checked out the 4" wide trenching shovel that Aquachigger (Beau Ouimette) recommends on YouTube. Decided to get one. Less than $24 before sales tax for the wood handle version. Got it home and quickly dug a plug and popped it out...worked like a dream! I'm going to love using this shovel! :yes:

Now, I just need a Garrett Carrot, and I'll be set! My birthday is coming up soon, and I have high hopes! Wish me luck! :D

Disappointed.

Well, Murphy struck again. I pushed the shovel into the ground, pulled back, and the sucker broke right at the bend on the front where the handle fits! I took it back to Lowe's earlier this month with the original receipt, and they refunded the purchase price with no hassle, but instead of giving me cash, they credited it back to the debit card that it was purchased on. Not a problem, but it took a few days for the money to hit my bank account.

So now I am without a MD shovel. I'm considering one of the MD purpose made shovels now.

Well, Murphy struck again. I pushed the shovel into the ground, pulled back, and the sucker broke right at the bend on the front where the handle fits! I took it back to Lowe's earlier this month with the original receipt, and they refunded the purchase price with no hassle, but instead of giving me cash, they credited it back to the debit card that it was purchased on. Not a problem, but it took a few days for the money to hit my bank account.

So now I am without a MD shovel. I'm considering one of the MD purpose made shovels now.

31 inch samson!

Since your birthday is coming up, I'd ask for a 31" Sampson

I'm new to this hobby too, and just got my Garrett Pro Pointer AT (the Carrot). It makes all the difference in the world; really, really good work aid. Good luck.

Please only use any type of shovel on Private Property. I was up in NC detecting a city recreation complex and was told that due to folks using shovels to dig up the park the city had passed an ordnance banning any digging of any type in the city parks.

All because folks view anyone using a shovel in a dim light. Even though one using a shovel properly does not do any more damage than a hand digger

Please only use any type of shovel on Private Property. I was up in NC detecting a city recreation complex and was told that due to folks using shovels to dig up the park the city had passed an ordnance banning any digging of any type in the city parks.

All because folks view anyone using a shovel in a dim light. Even though one using a shovel properly does not do any more damage than a hand digger

Dress like this and you should be ignored by the general public.
serveimage

I made it into a bigger city today, and found my way to Lowe's. Checked out the 4" wide trenching shovel that Aquachigger (Beau Ouimette) recommends on YouTube. Decided to get one. Less than $24 before sales tax for the wood handle version. Got it home and quickly dug a plug and popped it out...worked like a dream! I'm going to love using this shovel! :yes:

Now, I just need a Garrett Carrot, and I'll be set! My birthday is coming up soon, and I have high hopes! Wish me luck! :D

I had a couple of different diggers break when I first started. Ordering a new one takes too long and a lesche digger is $40-50 or higher. Here is how to get a great digger at a great price. What I do is go to Home Depot and buy a small shovel like a post hole shovel or something that looks like a clam shovel. They cost about $13. Cut the handle off where the wood starts, leaves a small portion of the shovel head to hold onto. Then cut or grind off the blade of the shovel to form a digging tool, and grind a couple of notches into the side of the blade for digging through roots. It requires a little work but not much. It is so much cheaper and much stronger than a lot of those diggers out there.

Sampson, X8 (yes, I know I skipped 7, but 8's my number and I wanted to be 8:p)

I am constantly saying, "Best shovel ever" when I am digging with my Sampson. Yesterday I used it to put in a Disc Golf Course at a local park Needed to dig 7 holes about 2' deep in some of the rockiest 'soil' around. Worked like a charm. Even the big guy that kept reaching for the big shovel at first, ended up grabbing the Sampson after a few minutes of seeing it's awesomeness.

Tree roots? First time I dug a plug with mine I looked in the hole and saw an inch thick root and an inch and a half thick one right next to it that I had sliced through without even noticing! I notice them now because the blade isn't as sharp, but it still goes through them like butter.

$55 may seem like a ton of money for a little shovel, but you already know what happens when you try to use something cheaper. I've snapped and bent a lot of other handled tools over the years, put a lot more pressure on the Sampson and even the time I was trying to split/dig/pry some shale and I expected it to come up with a bent tip because of how hard I was torquing on it, it's still in it's original shape!

Garrett Carrot

I love my Garrett Carrot. After twenty months using mine, it started acting up. I mailed it to get it fixed, and a couple weeks later, I got a new one in the mail. Garrett is the Bomb. I had even wore a hole in the end and patched it with glue from Lowe's and they still sent me a new one. I love Garrett.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom