Has my AT PRO gone bad?

Missouri Mule

I posted yesterday about having all kinds of 99 signals on my AT PRO. I went out tonight to detect and turned it on and it immediately started going crazy rapidly beeping and flashing all over the place with no rhyme or reason. No matter what I did or where I was I could not get it to quiet down. If I try to ground balance it makes a real loud chattering noise. Has it had a digital stroke or something?

I disconnected the coil cable and reattached it and that made no difference. Has anybody experienced this issue before? Thank you. :(

Addendum to AT PRO gone bad.

I did some Google research and ran across a YouTube video about the AT PRO "freakout" that some are experiencing. Freakout is a good description as my displays about 4 random signals PER SECOND with various depths showing, etc. Apparently, it is a problem with the coil wire where it enters the metal bulkhead piece. My next step is to contact Garrett about getting another coil. We will see. This problem has been coming on slowly which might explain why it has been growing increasingly difficult lately to get a good signal . . . very frustrating to say the least. I will let you all know what Garrett does.

Yes, being a newbie I thought that it was my inexperience bumming me out. Hopefully, Garrett will take care of me, as I would really like to get back out there and pick up where I left off before my detector went south. Thanks for the reply.

If your pro is under warranty they will issue a RMA and tell you where to send the machine. A few years ago I had to send a Pro pointer in and they got it and two days later had it on its way back to me and they paid ups to bring it back to me.

Garrett has a good reputation for their repair service.

That's happened to me before. I swapped out the batteries and it fixed it. Not sure if this is the same issue, but it's worth a try.

I started a warranty claim with Garrett via their website. I will call them tomorrow and see where it leads. The YouTube video that demonstrates the exact same problem as mine is titled "Garrett AT Pro "Freakout" Solved!", if anyone wants to view it. The batteries are newly charged in mine, which made no difference. Again, I thank you all for your replies.

Sounds like EMI...

Go far away from underground dog fences, and wifi and see if it fixes it...

<°)))>{

Yes, I thought of the same, but it does it no matter where I go. It acts like the metal that runs the length of the cord within the coil is shorting or has developed interference, if that is possible. Thanks for the reply.

Garrett is great. I sent my first gen in and they fixed it and sent it back with a new control housing for only $40.00
Happy days!

Back
Top Bottom