Living at 4600 feet on 4000 acres of untouched land 2019

untouchedground

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I took up metal detecting with my inherited Garrett Master Hunter 7 from my grandfather's estate.

We live at 4600 feet on 4000 acres of untouched/unbuilt upon open grazing ranching land / recently purchased by us.

We built a retirement home at the base of a mountain in northern Arizona with Indian origins and are ready to start "searching!"

We've started utilizing a mapping software with our DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone but are open to other ideas.

Any advice on how to grid out searching?

Happy Day!

untouchedground

Trails, hunting paths, paths to water sources, water crossing areas, sheltered, shaded areas, possible camp sites. If prospecting study geology rock formations. Any local historical societies for the area, libraries, county land offices?

Thanks for the advice! I started researching historical aspects last week but not readily available. It's looking like a drive into the nearest town about 1.5 hours away for historical information.

We are pumped!

Although we don't have access, we share our eastern property line with the largest family-owned working cattle ranch in the United States, the O-RO at 257,000 acres on untouched land!!!

....untouched/unbuilt upon....

Yeah, not so good for metal detecting unless you can find some evidence of prior use. A trail that cut through, the banks of water sources, etc...

You'll want a big coil to cover more ground per swing and stay in all metal mode to listen for iron. If there's iron, then there were people. Mark those on a map and work your way out to see if you can find areas where the iron gets dense. There could have been some structures that aren't listed on maps or records.

Welcome to the Forum from SW New Mexico, we're glad you're here! :tumbleweed:

Sounds like you have an awesome place to search, I'm envious! I see you are getting some excellent advice already, and would only add that sometimes you can gain a lot of first hand info from genealogy groups based in your area. I'd check online to see if there are any nearby.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures! :yes:

Dit

Yeah, not so good for metal detecting unless you can find some evidence of prior use. ...

Good post. Yes: Size of acreage isn't the key to "good places to detect". But rather, ya gotta find some old stage stop, picnic sites, defunct campgrounds, or ..... whatever. Some place that yesteryear people stopped, frolicked, slept, spent $ (fumbled around with their coins), etc....

The exception is nuggets/prospecting, of course. In THAT case (assuming the land is the right topography for naturally occurring nuggets), the the LESS human influence: The better.

Welcome un-touched-ground ! Hope your earth has some yesteryear history on it. I make periodic trips to NV and AZ , and have managed to find some virgin ground/sites in each state :)

To borrow a line from Jaws, “we’re gonna need a bigger coil”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings from the Garden State.
Good luck and you'll probably hunt way more than what you'll find. But it's good exercise and fresh air.

Welcome from Georgia: your area----metal detecting summer----snowmobiling winter, cant beat that combination. I was raised in such an environment only we just had three land sections of cattle country.

The first place I would detect is around any springs that you have on the property. I’ve always had good luck around those areas.

Welcome from New Mexico. Don't overlook the chance to find meteorites. Have you used the Litchi app for your drone? Fly autonomous search patterns. Check it out.

Look for the old trails as others have said. Put yourself in their shoes and think about where YOU would rest for an hour or so, or where you'd make camp at night.

Welcome! That's a big area, lots to explore!

Side note..... Any deer or elk?????? ;)

So you invite us all out there, and put us to work searching! [emoji3526] hahaha.

Best of luck and I'm excited for you, and to hear of what you all discover history or finds wise!

[emoji3548] hh!

Back
Top Bottom