Whites Groundhawg Shovel

pescadore

Elite Member
Anyone here have good luck with this shovel? I have heard some horror stories and read other reviews praising them? Wanted some opinions from users. Thanks

I had mine bend in half within the first few hunts. Whites replaced it very quickly, but that wouldnt be an option now that they are out of business. I've tried almost all of the T-handled shovels, predator seems the strongest IMO.

I had mine bend in half within the first few hunts. Whites replaced it very quickly, but that wouldnt be an option now that they are out of business. I've tried almost all of the T-handled shovels, predator seems the strongest IMO.

Did it bend with normal conditions like turf or was it more harsh conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did it bend with normal conditions like turf or was it more harsh conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There's gotta be a story for bending any shovel in HALF.

No special circumstances, I was digging a city park, went to flop the plug out and the shovel bent right in half. I was NOT prying on it either. Not sure if there was a defect in this particular shovel, but if It couldn't handle my parks, there's no way it could handle my wooded spots. Forum member bottlecapking was right next to me when it happened, so I got at least one witness :laughing: IMO the handle is too long without some kind of support inside. If I remember correctly, the handle was completely hollow. It bent about 8-12" above the blade. When I push on my predator, you can sometimes feel the inner support tube. I hunt alot of woods, so I have been through my fair share of shovels, and like I said above, predator seems the strongest so far, IMHO. Your results may vary.

I decided to give it a try after being assured that I could return it if it breaks within 30 days. Hopefully I will get one that doesn't break. I really like the length of the blade but may have to send it back if it doesn't work out. I have a Lesche groundshark but it doesn't cut neat plugs due to the shape of it. If the Whites shovel doesn't work out i guess I will pay the extra money for a Predator.

No special circumstances, I was digging a city park, went to flop the plug out and the shovel bent right in half. I was NOT prying on it either. Not sure if there was a defect in this particular shovel, but if It couldn't handle my parks, there's no way it could handle my wooded spots. Forum member bottlecapking was right next to me when it happened, so I got at least one witness :laughing: IMO the handle is too long without some kind of support inside. If I remember correctly, the handle was completely hollow. It bent about 8-12" above the blade. When I push on my predator, you can sometimes feel the inner support tube. I hunt alot of woods, so I have been through my fair share of shovels, and like I said above, predator seems the strongest so far, IMHO. Your results may vary.

Just by looking at the shovel on a search and hearing your comments, I can see what seems to be happening. The tube looks too thin for that blade profile. Blade is too wide and long. I'll be curious if Pescadore has success in his dirt. I assume south Texas still has clay like north Texas. I really couldn't go to a 36" shovel myself for my places I hunt. A hunt buddy of mine did own that shovel for several months though and didn't have the problem, or he never mentioned it.

I got the shovel and it worked great till my wife took it away from me to use in her garden. The good news is I ordered a Predator and it will be here Saturday !!

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

I have one and they are not as strong as you might think. It's an okay medium duty shovel but if you lean on it hard it will bend.

Mine bent when trying to use it to dig an actual hole in my yard (not a plug). Not pleased, but it bent right back and still works for "basic" use.

trashed mine in a couple weeks.....left it hanging in a tree at an old cellar. predator tools is the only shovel I haven't broke.

I am glad I decided to get the Predator. It will be here tomorrow. My wife will put the Whites to good use in the yard.

Now the White's Dig Master hand shovel on OTH is awesome but I don't think you can get them anymore except on the used market.

Now the White's Dig Master hand shovel on OTH is awesome but I don't think you can get them anymore except on the used market.

I prefer my lesche hand digger. blade is thinner and cuts better and makes better plugs. gave away all my white hand diggers. too thick, stuff sticks to em too much and makes a mess, and not as comfy.

I have one that I never use because if I Don't fasten the handle it flops around too much. It is a good digger though. I usually use my Predator Raptor

I prefer my lesche hand digger. blade is thinner and cuts better and makes better plugs. gave away all my white hand diggers. too thick, stuff sticks to em too much and makes a mess, and not as comfy.
I have a Lesche that I use when I don't use the Raptor. They are definitely a good digger. I have a Lesche ground shark shovel that had been tough as nails but because of its shape doesn't cut a clean plug

Back
Top Bottom