Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2021, 04:15 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default Part of an old hobby lives!

KT knows that there are a few rockhounds in the forum, having heard from them in the past.

October of 2020 KT sold his 50+ year collection of rocks and minerals to a dealer in Oregon and had His Royal Workmen build His Majesty a Royal Man Cave. There were several threads in the Family Friendly Topics about that project over the past few months. When that was finished and KT settled in, He began working on the remaining micro minerals that had been neglected for years, viewing, photographing, labeling and boxing them....BUT....

KT got a little tired of doing that and began to miss a bit the fun of collecting minerals....had not been collecting in 11 years because the Queen did not want His Majesty to accumulate more! HA HA Anyway, KT has discovered another aspect of the hobby, collecting fluorescent minerals. Purchased 2 new mineral lamps, one Long Wave (365 nm) and one Short Wave (245 nm), and lo and behold! KT found a site not 20 miles from the Castle that is covered with acres of a fluorescent rock called sodalite syenite! KT has visited that location some 4 times, about 1 hour per visit, and had great fun picking up loose pieces of this rock...in the dark. The rock fluoresces a strong orange color in LW light, no response in SW. So far KT has recovered about 200 pounds of this material and there is at least another 200 pounds on site to get before this fall. Anyway, KT ordered a 5 shelf book case, black in color to display some of these samples and others he has purchased. KT always enjoyed giving visiting rockhounds the WOW tour of His Royal Collection and now He will also enjoy giving any visitor the WOW tour of this collection of specimens, once it is set up properly. Most rockhounds have been to a Rock and Mineral Show and have seen fluorescent mineral displayed, but if anyone desires, KT will be glad to explain the property to you...in this thread.

Anyway, most importantly, KT is having more fun, added to the CRHing He has traditionally been doing...see KT's threads in the CRH subsection. KT will tease you with a couple of pictures! The first is a picture of this rock in a candy bowl, color of natural light, then the same candy bowl and rocks with LW light. Yes the candy bowl fluoresces also!
Attached Images
  

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-17-2021, 04:44 PM
Metal detecto's Avatar
Metal detecto Metal detecto is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Sunny state o' CA!
Posts: 909
Default

Woah! Pretty sure those rocks are yooperlites?

Rock hounding... Thought you got a hound and find rocks with it like a metal detector...

Josh

__________________
John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-17-2021, 06:31 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default

Originally Posted by Metal detecto View post
Woah! Pretty sure those rocks are yooperlites?

Rock hounding... Thought you got a hound and find rocks with it like a metal detector...

Josh
Look at the shapes! Yooperlites are well rounded, and long transported from their original locations up somewhere in Canada.

These rocks are coming off an outcrop of igneous rock and are angular. Now you are right, Josh, in one way. They are the same rock type..sodalite syenite. But sodalite syenite formed in several places worldwide...think geologic thoughts! Ha ha.

With this aspect of rockhounding, you get a UV light and go out at night and search around! Adults are called rockhounds and kids are called pebble pups! Ha ha.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-17-2021, 06:54 PM
Metal detecto's Avatar
Metal detecto Metal detecto is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Sunny state o' CA!
Posts: 909
Default

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Look at the shapes! Yooperlites are well rounded, and long transported from their original locations up somewhere in Canada.

These rocks are coming off an outcrop of igneous rock and are angular. Now you are right, Josh, in one way. They are the same rock type..sodalite syenite. But sodalite syenite formed in several places worldwide...think geologic thoughts! Ha ha.

With this aspect of rockhounding, you get a UV light and go out at night and search around! Adults are called rockhounds and kids are called pebble pups! Ha ha.
Pebble pups? Then are grampas Boulder Bums?

Who knows, the rocks in our yard might be one of those "shiny rock!"

Josh

__________________
John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-17-2021, 08:39 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default

Originally Posted by Metal detecto View post
Pebble pups? Then are grampas Boulder Bums?

Who knows, the rocks in our yard might be one of those "shiny rock!"

Josh
Nope, once a rockhound always a rockhound no matter how old one gets!

Only way to tell is to get a UV light and check them, but they are not normal rocks, so pretty unlikely.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-17-2021, 10:36 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,749
Talking

Wow, super duper neat KT !!!!

Did you just happen to come across that site with the fluorescent rocks or did you do research to find potential areas ?

New Jersey has some good areas for those who live close enough, here is a link to a fluorescent museum in that area:

https://www.sterlinghillminingmuseum...f-fluorescence

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-18-2021, 09:36 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Wow, super duper neat KT !!!!

Did you just happen to come across that site with the fluorescent rocks or did you do research to find potential areas ?

New Jersey has some good areas for those who live close enough, here is a link to a fluorescent museum in that area:

https://www.sterlinghillminingmuseum...f-fluorescence
From His base knowledge, KT as a geologist had been visiting these sites for over 40 years, making educational visits for college geology class field trips...so imagine His Royal Surprise when He visited the sites at night with a LW UV lamp! Holy Glowing Outcrops, Batman!

KT had read a study on these rocks by a company that had been investigating various outcrops of igneous rocks in Arkansas for sand blasting material, a few years back. At their request, KT had collected their samples. Some of the samples were identified as sodalite syenite. Then KT read about the find of the so called yooperlites in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Saw a lot of pictures on the internet of them, and then decided to visit these locations! Just connected a train of reasoning together! KT likes geological sleuthing as one might call it!

And thanks for the info on the Sterling Museum. On one of His Royal Trips east, KT not only visited that Museum, but also took the mine tour...the Rainbow Room was well worth the visit and fabulous!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 05-18-2021, 10:57 AM
Metal detecto's Avatar
Metal detecto Metal detecto is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Sunny state o' CA!
Posts: 909
Default

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
From His base knowledge, KT as a geologist had been visiting these sites for over 40 years, making educational visits for college geology class field trips...so imagine His Royal Surprise when He visited the sites at night with a LW UV lamp! Holy Glowing Outcrops, Batman!

KT had read a study on these rocks by a company that had been investigating various outcrops of igneous rocks in Arkansas for sand blasting material, a few years back. At their request, KT had collected their samples. Some of the samples were identified as sodalite syenite. Then KT read about the find of the so called yooperlites in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Saw a lot of pictures on the internet of them, and then decided to visit these locations! Just connected a train of reasoning together! KT likes geological sleuthing as one might call it!

And thanks for the info on the Sterling Museum. On one of His Royal Trips east, KT not only visited that Museum, but also took the mine tour...the Rainbow Room was well worth the visit and fabulous!
I visited the king's website on rock hounding! Way too many rock words for me to learn...

Josh

__________________
John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 05-18-2021, 02:02 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default

Originally Posted by Metal detecto View post
I visited the king's website on rock hounding! Way too many rock words for me to learn...

Josh
HA HA, give it time, Josh. If you are interested, it will come! And KT appreciates your visit!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 05-18-2021, 05:51 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,749
Talking

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
From His base knowledge, KT as a geologist had been visiting these sites for over 40 years, making educational visits for college geology class field trips...so imagine His Royal Surprise when He visited the sites at night with a LW UV lamp! Holy Glowing Outcrops, Batman!

KT had read a study on these rocks by a company that had been investigating various outcrops of igneous rocks in Arkansas for sand blasting material, a few years back. At their request, KT had collected their samples. Some of the samples were identified as sodalite syenite. Then KT read about the find of the so called yooperlites in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Saw a lot of pictures on the internet of them, and then decided to visit these locations! Just connected a train of reasoning together! KT likes geological sleuthing as one might call it!

And thanks for the info on the Sterling Museum. On one of His Royal Trips east, KT not only visited that Museum, but also took the mine tour...the Rainbow Room was well worth the visit and fabulous!
I'm sure your 40 years of visiting sites does help

I wonder if your state has any other fluorescent rocks ?

I was trying to find if there was a web site that listed by state fluorescent rocks that might be found in that state but the closest thing I found so far was a search engine. (I guess you'd have to enter the name of each fluorescent mineral individually along with your location to see if there are any results)

https://www.mindat.org/

......from the above web site:
Name:  mindatorgsearch.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  33.8 KB

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 05-19-2021, 09:28 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
I'm sure your 40 years of visiting sites does help

I wonder if your state has any other fluorescent rocks ?

I was trying to find if there was a web site that listed by state fluorescent rocks that might be found in that state but the closest thing I found so far was a search engine. (I guess you'd have to enter the name of each fluorescent mineral individually along with your location to see if there are any results)

https://www.mindat.org/

......from the above web site:
Attachment 484897
KT is well aware of the mindat.org web site, using it as both a research tool and and a search tool for His Majesty's education. You can search just by the state name, or by a particularly well know location, like Magnet Cove.

If you enter mikehowardite, you will find a preliminary page on the mineral named after KT!

You can search for fluorescent minerals, and get a listing...but it is easier to find and purchase Manuel Robbins book...Fluorescence....Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light. 1994.

The best way to find out if there are fluorescent minerals in an area, other than book research, is to purchase a decent portable lamp...actually 2.... LW and SW, 365 nm and 245 nm, respectively, and then go at night and search! You will find a variety of things will fluoresce, including scorpions, fungi, some vegetation, some paint, and some rocks and minerals. Robbins discusses most of the well known localities and minerals as of the date of the book. However, new sites have been discovered as people used his book as a jumping off reference, and the advent of new technologies, making field lamps easier to use and better sources of UV light. Unfortunately, the cheap led UV lamps, under $40, are ok for entry level, but are disappointing compared to those in the $100 range, which is really what is necessary to have a great outdoor experience. Do not buy any LW UV lamp, led or otherwise, that is 395 nm. They put out too much visible blue/purple light, and drown out the UV response!

KT also suggests just going on eBay and entering Fluorescent minerals in the search field to pull up a long list of those for sale....a great educational tool! You will find both a great variety of minerals, from cheap to very expensive, and a large variety of colors of fluorescence, among some certain species, like calcite, fluorite, etc.

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #12  
Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,749
Talking

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
KT is well aware of the mindat.org web site, using it as both a research tool and and a search tool for His Majesty's education. You can search just by the state name, or by a particularly well know location, like Magnet Cove.

If you enter mikehowardite, you will find a preliminary page on the mineral named after KT!

You can search for fluorescent minerals, and get a listing...but it is easier to find and purchase Manuel Robbins book...Fluorescence....Gems and Minerals Under Ultraviolet Light. 1994.

The best way to find out if there are fluorescent minerals in an area, other than book research, is to purchase a decent portable lamp...actually 2.... LW and SW, 365 nm and 245 nm, respectively, and then go at night and search! You will find a variety of things will fluoresce, including scorpions, fungi, some vegetation, some paint, and some rocks and minerals. Robbins discusses most of the well known localities and minerals as of the date of the book. However, new sites have been discovered as people used his book as a jumping off reference, and the advent of new technologies, making field lamps easier to use and better sources of UV light. Unfortunately, the cheap led UV lamps, under $40, are ok for entry level, but are disappointing compared to those in the $100 range, which is really what is necessary to have a great outdoor experience. Do not buy any LW UV lamp, led or otherwise, that is 395 nm. They put out too much visible blue/purple light, and drown out the UV response!

KT also suggests just going on eBay and entering Fluorescent minerals in the search field to pull up a long list of those for sale....a great educational tool! You will find both a great variety of minerals, from cheap to very expensive, and a large variety of colors of fluorescence, among some certain species, like calcite, fluorite, etc.
Neat page on your namesake mineral KT !!!!

To make it easier for others to go right to it here is a direct link I got from the search:

https://www.mindat.org/min-55313.html

While I am fascinated by fluorescent rocks and neat looking rocks in general my level of expertise compared to yours might be like comparing a 4th grader to a college professor

Anyhow my very occasional side hobby of rockhounding is similar to metal detecting as it allows us to be kids again metal detecting = "treasure hunting" and rockhounding = "how as a kid I liked to collect neat looking rocks I'd find on the ground"

My assortment of UV lights are okay for this being a side hobby, though I might later consider the "Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit" you mentioned on another thread, just have to decide whether to spend some of my humble hobby budget for that or some other hobby item

Here are some pics that include my UV lights, rock hammer, fluorescent rocks I have (some came as samples with a UV light purchase, others from online sources, I have yet to find any locally myself) also pics of rocks I found on our own property after we moved here.

The medium sized LED UV flashlight is 365nm (about $20) the smaller one I'm not sure as there are no markings on it, likely either MW or SW, I'll have to check again what rocks it fluoresces, the big flashlight is a 395nm, I know you said to avoid those but it was only about $10 and if nothing else is good for check to see how clean surfaces are the other 2 are battery operated tube units, the bigger one has a 2nd tube included for another wavelength.
Name:  UV-lights-and-rock-hammer.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  153.6 KB

my humble homemade cardboard display box the round object is one of those uranium marbles that glow under UV
Name:  fluorescent-rocks-1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  139.1 KB

my other display box, my mineral collection includes both LW and SW rocks
Name:  fluorescent-rocks-2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  37.9 KB

We own 1 1/2 acres of property next to woods, when we first moved here the house was only about 5 years old, before they put the manufactured home here they had to clear out an area as it had been woods previously, so after first getting settled in I checked over our 1 1/2 acres and found quite a few of these quartz (or quartz-like) rocks (some fairly good sized), of course my kid-like fascination with neat looking rocks had me picking them up and saving them
Name:  quartz-like-rocks.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  152.8 KB

Here's some other misc rocks I found on our property, the 4 large ones to the right are pretty heavy and a small magnet on a thread is attracted to them a little, at first I thought..... meteorites ! but sharing the pics online in the past no one else seemed to think so, but they are still neat whatever they are
Name:  magnet-attracting-rocks-and-misc.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  107.0 KB

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 05-19-2021, 01:08 PM
Metal detecto's Avatar
Metal detecto Metal detecto is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Sunny state o' CA!
Posts: 909
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Neat page on your namesake mineral KT !!!!

To make it easier for others to go right to it here is a direct link I got from the search:

https://www.mindat.org/min-55313.html

While I am fascinated by fluorescent rocks and neat looking rocks in general my level of expertise compared to yours might be like comparing a 4th grader to a college professor

Anyhow my very occasional side hobby of rockhounding is similar to metal detecting as it allows us to be kids again metal detecting = "treasure hunting" and rockhounding = "how as a kid I liked to collect neat looking rocks I'd find on the ground"

My assortment of UV lights are okay for this being a side hobby, though I might later consider the "Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit" you mentioned on another thread, just have to decide whether to spend some of my humble hobby budget for that or some other hobby item

Here are some pics that include my UV lights, rock hammer, fluorescent rocks I have (some came as samples with a UV light purchase, others from online sources, I have yet to find any locally myself) also pics of rocks I found on our own property after we moved here.

The medium sized LED UV flashlight is 365nm (about $20) the smaller one I'm not sure as there are no markings on it, likely either MW or SW, I'll have to check again what rocks it fluoresces, the big flashlight is a 395nm, I know you said to avoid those but it was only about $10 and if nothing else is good for check to see how clean surfaces are the other 2 are battery operated tube units, the bigger one has a 2nd tube included for another wavelength.
Attachment 484928

my humble homemade cardboard display box the round object is one of those uranium marbles that glow under UV
Attachment 484929

my other display box, my mineral collection includes both LW and SW rocks
Attachment 484930

We own 1 1/2 acres of property next to woods, when we first moved here the house was only about 5 years old, before they put the manufactured home here they had to clear out an area as it had been woods previously, so after first getting settled in I checked over our 1 1/2 acres and found quite a few of these quartz (or quartz-like) rocks (some fairly good sized), of course my kid-like fascination with neat looking rocks had me picking them up and saving them
Attachment 484931

Here's some other misc rocks I found on our property, the 4 large ones to the right are pretty heavy and a small magnet on a thread is attracted to them a little, at first I thought..... meteorites ! but sharing the pics online in the past no one else seemed to think so, but they are still neat whatever they are
Attachment 484932
Now I thought I was good at collecting rocks... we have a $6 quartz crystal, that should be something, right? It was from one of those national geographic kits... but 5 year old me swore to become a geologist.

I swear, I will find a rock and get it named after me...

DETECTO-RITE! The most valuable crystal in the world! Only found in...

...national geographic kits?



Josh

__________________
John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #14  
Old 05-19-2021, 03:49 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,155
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Neat page on your namesake mineral KT !!!!

To make it easier for others to go right to it here is a direct link I got from the search:

https://www.mindat.org/min-55313.html

While I am fascinated by fluorescent rocks and neat looking rocks in general my level of expertise compared to yours might be like comparing a 4th grader to a college professor

Anyhow my very occasional side hobby of rockhounding is similar to metal detecting as it allows us to be kids again metal detecting = "treasure hunting" and rockhounding = "how as a kid I liked to collect neat looking rocks I'd find on the ground"

My assortment of UV lights are okay for this being a side hobby, though I might later consider the "Way Too Cool's 5-watt unit" you mentioned on another thread, just have to decide whether to spend some of my humble hobby budget for that or some other hobby item

Here are some pics that include my UV lights, rock hammer, fluorescent rocks I have (some came as samples with a UV light purchase, others from online sources, I have yet to find any locally myself) also pics of rocks I found on our own property after we moved here.

The medium sized LED UV flashlight is 365nm (about $20) the smaller one I'm not sure as there are no markings on it, likely either MW or SW, I'll have to check again what rocks it fluoresces, the big flashlight is a 395nm, I know you said to avoid those but it was only about $10 and if nothing else is good for check to see how clean surfaces are the other 2 are battery operated tube units, the bigger one has a 2nd tube included for another wavelength.
Attachment 484928

my humble homemade cardboard display box the round object is one of those uranium marbles that glow under UV
Attachment 484929

my other display box, my mineral collection includes both LW and SW rocks
Attachment 484930

We own 1 1/2 acres of property next to woods, when we first moved here the house was only about 5 years old, before they put the manufactured home here they had to clear out an area as it had been woods previously, so after first getting settled in I checked over our 1 1/2 acres and found quite a few of these quartz (or quartz-like) rocks (some fairly good sized), of course my kid-like fascination with neat looking rocks had me picking them up and saving them
Attachment 484931

Here's some other misc rocks I found on our property, the 4 large ones to the right are pretty heavy and a small magnet on a thread is attracted to them a little, at first I thought..... meteorites ! but sharing the pics online in the past no one else seemed to think so, but they are still neat whatever they are
Attachment 484932
KT likes the way you have organised your fluorescent specimens, but have you labeled them as to what they are and where they are from? That effort will start to change you from an accumulator to an actual rockhound, because rockhounds know that location and id add value to your collection.

That was nice of you to put the actual link to the Mikehowardite page on Mindat.org on the Forum...Royal Thanks!

Now, do not be ashamed at what you know, I have many friends with your level of beginnership. The reason I know what I know is because of not only going to college for six years studying geology, with a specialty in minerals, not petroleum, paleontology, etc., and then I was lucky enough to find a job doing my specialty (and loving nearly every minute of it!) for 39 years!

I still love to be around the enthusiastic folks I find at the beginning of this road of study. It can make a fantastic hobby, getting one out doors and visiting remote places! Lots of similarities between rockhounding and metal detecting...particularly spending a lot of time finding good productive locations, a lot of digging around with few really good finds, a lot of healthy exercise, and sometimes hitting a treasure trove! Either hobby also is great for kids and with my generation was a good substitute for sitting around the house watching TV on weekends! Ha ha.

That marble is a type of glass called vaseline glass and if bright green under LW or SW it contains traces of uranium, giving it the fluorescent green color....we also see traces of uranium causing green fluorecence in hyaline opal and some chalcedony and agates.

KT understands it costs money to do either hobbies, and as a beginner with no guidance, one can spend a bit of money before hitting on the right equipment for you. Unfortunately, if you ever get to view your specimens in better quality fluorescent lights, you will want to ditch your lights and get better ones! Ha ha. I had two of those 100 led 395 flashlights, gave one away the other day....think it only cost me $15 on eBay a few years back...maybe the lady I gave it to will enjoy it for a while and then give it to a kid to start up interest in the hobby. Who knows?

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 05-21-2021, 11:19 AM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,749
Talking

Originally Posted by Metal detecto View post
Now I thought I was good at collecting rocks... we have a $6 quartz crystal, that should be something, right? It was from one of those national geographic kits... but 5 year old me swore to become a geologist.

I swear, I will find a rock and get it named after me...

DETECTO-RITE! The most valuable crystal in the world! Only found in...

...national geographic kits?



Josh


Maybe you might find rocks in Korea during your upcoming visit there that can't be found here ?

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 05-21-2021, 11:26 AM
Metal detecto's Avatar
Metal detecto Metal detecto is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Sunny state o' CA!
Posts: 909
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post


Maybe you might find rocks in Korea during your upcoming visit there that can't be found here ?
DETECTO-rite

Specification: Super cool Rock

Type: Super cool

Weight: A lot.

Size: About the size of my shoe

Rarity: FOLLOW ME!!!

retail value: Dang keyboard won't let me put an infinity!

Geograpic location: National geographic kits...


__________________
John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 05-21-2021, 12:07 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,749
Talking

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
KT likes the way you have organised your fluorescent specimens, but have you labeled them as to what they are and where they are from? That effort will start to change you from an accumulator to an actual rockhound, because rockhounds know that location and id add value to your collection.

That was nice of you to put the actual link to the Mikehowardite page on Mindat.org on the Forum...Royal Thanks!

Now, do not be ashamed at what you know, I have many friends with your level of beginnership. The reason I know what I know is because of not only going to college for six years studying geology, with a specialty in minerals, not petroleum, paleontology, etc., and then I was lucky enough to find a job doing my specialty (and loving nearly every minute of it!) for 39 years!

I still love to be around the enthusiastic folks I find at the beginning of this road of study. It can make a fantastic hobby, getting one out doors and visiting remote places! Lots of similarities between rockhounding and metal detecting...particularly spending a lot of time finding good productive locations, a lot of digging around with few really good finds, a lot of healthy exercise, and sometimes hitting a treasure trove! Either hobby also is great for kids and with my generation was a good substitute for sitting around the house watching TV on weekends! Ha ha.

That marble is a type of glass called vaseline glass and if bright green under LW or SW it contains traces of uranium, giving it the fluorescent green color....we also see traces of uranium causing green fluorecence in hyaline opal and some chalcedony and agates.

KT understands it costs money to do either hobbies, and as a beginner with no guidance, one can spend a bit of money before hitting on the right equipment for you. Unfortunately, if you ever get to view your specimens in better quality fluorescent lights, you will want to ditch your lights and get better ones! Ha ha. I had two of those 100 led 395 flashlights, gave one away the other day....think it only cost me $15 on eBay a few years back...maybe the lady I gave it to will enjoy it for a while and then give it to a kid to start up interest in the hobby. Who knows?
I enjoyed casually collecting rocks I found as a kid, but you made a career out of it, neat !

Actually those humble display boxes do have labels for the minerals, definitely not fancy labeling I used the labels that were sent with them, some were handwritten labels, might not look fancy but the info is there (I'll post picks of the labels from each display box)

Yep, vaseline glass is the other term I heard used for those marbles.

Those pics of rocks (from a previous post) from my own yard, I was just doing some more searching online and it seems the heavy ones that a small magnet is slightly attracted to "might" be Hematite, I guess it might help if I tried maybe using a hacksaw to try to cut off one end to see what it looks like on the inside.

As far as the white Quartz-like rocks there seems to be variations of Quartz rocks but I still need to research more to see what version they might be.

Another thing those cheap 395nm flashlights are good for is charging up anything that is "glow in the dark" like glow in the dark tape or paint.

As far as more powerful UV lights, in the past I came across online how some get used medical equipment called "Transilluminators" and modify them for fluorescent mineral use, nice, but still a little pricey for me Just did a search to find an article on that and here it one I found:

https://www.minershop.com/technology...silluminators/

As far as rocks in my yard there are some I just decided to leave outside like this one I have to mow around and use the weed-wacker to trim close to it (I should have put a yardstick in the pic, the big part of the outcrop might be about 3 feet or so, wonder how deep it goes ?)
Name:  big rock to mow around.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  117.6 KB

This one is just over our property line by the woods
Name:  big rock off edge of property.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  82.1 KB

Here's a few more big rocks in our yard, I used two of them for where we put our previous beloved dog Angel (she lived for about 15 years after we adopted her)
Name:  Angel big rocks.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  98.7 KB

The next two pics are the un-fancy labels on the display boxes.
Name:  fluorescent-rocks-1a.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  fluorescent-rocks-2a.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  38.5 KB

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 05-21-2021, 01:30 PM
medicchief's Avatar
medicchief medicchief is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: WC Arkansas
Posts: 1,435
Default

Our royal subject may have stated somewhere in this long thread already, but has his majesty ever been down to the Crater of Diamonds? Lived here all my life and have yet to check it out.

__________________
EXPLORER SE PRO, X-TERRA 705, TEKNETICS DELTA, BULLSEYE TRX AND PRO-POINTER

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #19  
Old 05-21-2021, 01:59 PM
Rock Jock's Avatar
Rock Jock Rock Jock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Homeless in USA - Currently in Charleston, SC
Posts: 267
Default

If any of you beachy beach combing types also like to collect seashells, you may discover that some of them variously fluoresce. Some cowrie and oyster species are quite bright under my little Harbor Freight UV flashlight.

__________________
Working to end the national coin shortage one coin at a time.
Garrett AT Max, Garrett Z Lynk Propointer

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #20  
Old 05-23-2021, 11:15 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,749
Talking

Originally Posted by GKL View post
I enjoyed casually collecting rocks I found as a kid, but you made a career out of it, neat !

Actually those humble display boxes do have labels for the minerals, definitely not fancy labeling I used the labels that were sent with them, some were handwritten labels, might not look fancy but the info is there (I'll post picks of the labels from each display box)

Yep, vaseline glass is the other term I heard used for those marbles.

Those pics of rocks (from a previous post) from my own yard, I was just doing some more searching online and it seems the heavy ones that a small magnet is slightly attracted to "might" be Hematite, I guess it might help if I tried maybe using a hacksaw to try to cut off one end to see what it looks like on the inside.

As far as the white Quartz-like rocks there seems to be variations of Quartz rocks but I still need to research more to see what version they might be.

Another thing those cheap 395nm flashlights are good for is charging up anything that is "glow in the dark" like glow in the dark tape or paint.

As far as more powerful UV lights, in the past I came across online how some get used medical equipment called "Transilluminators" and modify them for fluorescent mineral use, nice, but still a little pricey for me Just did a search to find an article on that and here it one I found:

https://www.minershop.com/technology...silluminators/

As far as rocks in my yard there are some I just decided to leave outside like this one I have to mow around and use the weed-wacker to trim close to it (I should have put a yardstick in the pic, the big part of the outcrop might be about 3 feet or so, wonder how deep it goes ?)
Attachment 485023

This one is just over our property line by the woods
Attachment 485024

Here's a few more big rocks in our yard, I used two of them for where we put our previous beloved dog Angel (she lived for about 15 years after we adopted her)
Attachment 485025

The next two pics are the un-fancy labels on the display boxes.
Attachment 485026

Attachment 485027
I was just thinking of a neat mineral hunting site I wish was closer:

Diamond Hill Mine

https://diamondhillmine.com/gallery/

There is a fee, but it is a very modest fee:

https://diamondhillmine.com/info-cost/

Rules, fee, hours, ect at the above link, which also includes the following:

Here at the Diamond Hill Mine you will have a rare opportunity to collect your own crystals. We do not “salt” the piles. Its “unsalted”, meaning everything you will find came from this actual mine. We have 6+ acres of dirt that is loaded with quartz crystals to surface collect or to dig through.
(end quote)

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent minerals and UV lights, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.