Hard Times Away and a Serendipitous Return

Call Me V

First, let me apologize for being gone for so long. When COVID came around it hit Mom and I hard, not by getting sick, but because of the economic impact. Mom lost her job, I had to drop out from college, and we ended up selling the house, and many other things that weren't necessary to keep the things that were necessary. That included my metal detector. And when I couldn't' do any more hunting it was hard to read the forums and see what everyone was finding. I know that's selfish, but it's the truth.

But Mom ended up getting another job, a better job. I started back in school this last January with a new direction and more enthusiasm. I got a new part time job I love, and finally got a new detector. I replaced my old Nox 600 with a new one, and this past weekend I started hunting again.

All that time away seems to have been forgiven by the metal-detecting-powers-that-be with a the best day of hunting I've ever had. I met a young couple in town last weekend and got their permission to hunt their 1920 house. And while hunting that house I got permission to hunt the house next door. When my first target was a Mercury dime I knew I had a good day coming. Between the two houses I had three Mercuries, a 1918 Buffalo, 15 wheaties (4 from the teens, 3 from the 20's, 5 from the 40's, and 3 from the 50's), 2 Colorado tax tokens (obvious someone from Colorado had lived there previously), some sterling silver military captain's bars, and best of all, a 1945 Walking Liberty Half.

I've found a few silver quarters (Barbers and Washingtons) but this was my first silver half. My Nox hit the half at a solid 32-33 and I was almost positive that I had a silver quarter. But I got super excited to see a Walking Liberty Half come out of the ground (about 6" down). And glory be! I didn't it it with my digger.

Then I also found a mystery item. It is some kind of brass pick object. Any ideas? Any way of determining what era the captain's bars may be from?

Thank you everyone for providing such a supportive community.

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2862.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 484
Now that's what I call "perseverance!" An even bigger "Attaboy" (or Attagirl,) for the silver with all you went through!

:thumbsup: Keep it up!

Josh

Good to hear you're back in action! So glad life has settled down and your mom got a good job. I also moved and got a new job this year too. I haven't got over a Walker though! Nice hunt!

Glad to hear things are looking up. That is a nice half and odds are good the captain bars are WWII era. Note the word Sterling... Used up to the 40's and then faded out in the 50's and 60's for makers marks and 925 in the 70's.

Great finds, and nice testimony! The Lord has a plan for us during good times and bad...been there, lived that.

V very sorry to hear of your troubles. And darn glad to hear of your rebound. And to your mom as well. What doesn't kill us usually makes us stronger. Awesome silver score and a big attagirl on the walking half. They are rare anymore and I was fortunate enough to see only my second this year. Welcome back to diggin' and hope to see more finds in the future. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom