First ever water hunt....

John Madill

Elite Member
Went into the water for the first time with a pair of cheap waders, a scoop, and my Simplex.

It is a nice little park with a grassy area and the lake has a sandy bottom. 100 yards from shore the water is still pretty shallow.

the grassy area is just about impossible to dig because of shallow roots.

the waders were about $14.00 at Dunham's and i figure if they last 3 or 4 hunts they will have been worth it. they have a stocking foot so i wore a pair of Crocs.

The water was cold and it was about 60-degrees and windy. the area i started in seemed to be trash-free. first signal rang up at 78 and it was a dime. then another 78, another dime.

then a penny. then a third dime. all within 5 minutes or so. but then i started getting lots of signals between 18 and 20. Dug and dug and never found anything. This area had black sand. maybe it was the sand or maybe it was some tiny split shot.

after awhile i worked back over to where i started and quickly found another dime and penny and called it a day.

never went out farther than knee deep. when it gets hot i will venture out farther. i have a shirt-tail relative that said years ago people used to skip silver dollars into the lake. gotta wonder about that.

Attachments

• van.auken.lake.jpg
    van.auken.lake.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 281
Try wearing ski pants if water is cold... I have hunted in 30 degree water in past with waders like that... :lol: either long johns or ski pants is a must if water is cold... 60 degree water is not cold to me..

That is a good tip, thanks....

The air temp was 60, not sure of water temp.

It felt cold at first. I was wearing shorts and socks.

The gloves i wore, from Lowes, had a rubberized palm and nylon back and worked well, keeping my hands warm.

Back
Top Bottom