Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 05-04-2021, 06:31 AM
Elite Member

Default Army Corp of Engineers to Replenish the sand in SoCal!

I just saw on the news that the ACOE were planning to add more sand to the 12 miles of beach from Seal Beach to Newport Beach. This is in response to the erosion of sand or sand that has been lost in recent years.
The ACOE wants to restock the 12 mile strip with sand in an effort to stop that loss.
I fear I may need a larger sand scoop soon to get down to the good targets.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2021, 06:51 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

A beach that I like to go to recently did the same. I won't be heading there for months.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:47 AM
Elite Member

There is a LONG history of why beach sand gets depleted in the first place. That plays into : What happens when we try to compensate, to build beaches back -up. And then: How can this play into md'rs hands ?

Old 05-04-2021, 10:16 AM
Elite Member

All ya need is one REALLY good King Tide to fix it for ya. Just ask 2016/2017. Also looks like you might wanna buy a cheap gas saver car for that longer drive to a different beach in the mean time.
I moved 300 miles away from the beach and out of CA because the housing market is a joke. Where I live now, I pay NO state income tax and my home would cost 65% more if I didn't move. SO,.... my point.... Sometimes it's worth the drive. I do miss those quick knee jerk beach hunts though.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Elite Member

Well first off, thanks for the info. I guess now I need to hunt the dry until the wet sand finally does its job and takes off that other sand.

They're kind of fighting a down battle, the tide will always make that erode whether you want it or not, even if you put a tonne of sand.

Josh

Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:50 AM
Elite Member

Replenishment is a yearly event in Oceanside. They have a need to remove sand buildup in the mouth of the harbor. The sand that is dredged from the harbor is pumped down the beach and released at selected points. Dozers then push it around to form the beach.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by low tide View post
....I moved 300 miles away from the beach and out of CA because the housing market is a joke. Where I live now, I pay NO state income tax and my home would cost 65% more if I didn't move. SO,.... my point.... Sometimes it's worth the drive. I do miss those quick knee jerk beach hunts though.
SSSssshhhh ! You're giving away the secret, and are going to drive up the cost of homes in your new area. D/t all the coastal people "rushing to sell their coastal homes before the 'market correction' ". So stop telling people this secret !

Seriously now : I've actually toyed with the same notion. And am actually thinking : Gee, if the beach storms *really* did do another El Nino event (a week straight of non-stop erosion-digging). Then: I just hop in my car, make the day's drive, stay in a hotel or at a friend's house. And I can accomplish the same thing. Because in all honesty, those super heavy events only happen a time or two, every other year or so. Sometimes 5 yrs. will go by before a major episode happens. So: With the advent of modern scientific surf reports, beach cam's, etc.... it's almost as if you have a day or two "heads up" anyhow.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:34 PM

Might want to hunt there before they replenish the sand.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post

Seriously now : I've actually toyed with the same notion. And am actually thinking : Gee, if the beach storms *really* did do another El Nino event (a week straight of non-stop erosion-digging). Then: I just hop in my car, make the day's drive, stay in a hotel or at a friend's house. And I can accomplish the same thing. Because in all honesty, those super heavy events only happen a time or two, every other year or so. Sometimes 5 yrs. will go by before a major episode happens. So: With the advent of modern scientific surf reports, beach cam's, etc.... it's almost as if you have a day or two "heads up" anyhow.
I have a 2020 Ram 2500. Bought it with the build idea of having it for my buggy hauler which tows my rock crawler when I go to the desert. With that I decided I needed a camper because I'm tired of sleeping in tents. I also thought it would be clever to use the camper on 1+ days at the beach so I'd have a place to sleep, eat, poop...etc. WELL... I didn't take into account that I can't just go anywhere with the camper. I have to pay RV spots and that's 40+ a night. DOH!!!

What I NEED to do is either get a shell for the truck or get an eco car and play the sleep in the backseat game... Thinking shell.... but at 17mpg, a 325 mi ea way beach hunt that will most likely yield me 10.00 in change isn't very economically viable. Then again, I never got into this to make money..

Old 05-04-2021, 07:51 PM
Official Tot Lot King

I have a 2020 Ram 2500. Bought it with the build idea of having it for my buggy hauler which tows my rock crawler when I go to the desert. With that I decided I needed a camper because I'm tired of sleeping in tents. I also thought it would be clever to use the camper on 1+ days at the beach so I'd have a place to sleep, eat, poop...etc. WELL... I didn't take into account that I can't just go anywhere with the camper. I have to pay RV spots and that's 40+ a night. DOH!!!

What I NEED to do is either get a shell for the truck or get an eco car and play the sleep in the backseat game... Thinking shell.... but at 17mpg, a 325 mi ea way beach hunt that will most likely yield me 10.00 in change isn't very economically viable. Then again, I never got into this to make money..
You need to look up a guy named Randy on You Tube! He spent several years camping in a Prius. Great mileage and now the new generation allows you to set an internal temperature on the thermostat...the car will start itself, warm up, and shutoff...all by itself! Passenger seat folds flat, put in a plywood, two inch foam mat and sleeping bag. Stay for the cheap! Just eat out...Ha ha.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:06 PM
Elite Member

... WELL... I didn't take into account that I can't just go anywhere with the camper. I have to pay RV spots and that's 40+ a night. DOH!!!...
Haha ! My wife keeps talking about "getting an RV" so that we can "save money on hotels". And I keep trying to tell her that, unless you traveled half-the-year, it makes no economic sense ! You pay extra DMV, insurance, and have gas mileage that is SO poor (and, yes, the RV hookup costs), that by the time you're done, you can get a NICE upper-crust hotel room. Doh !

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
.... Stay for the cheap! Just eat out...Ha ha.
Can I please hire you to try to convince my wife of this ?

Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 PM

oside is a joke so is the harbor
if you want to dig can slaw help your self
33 years lived in oside hunted 16 yrs
you want gold head north
and don't dewell on a persons lost items
if you lost a high end item would you be happy ???????????? please
i hunt to clean the beach if there is a bonus so be it
i can't count how man cell phones ect i have returned KARMA

Old 05-04-2021, 10:09 PM

Sounds like a 4X4 van might work for you. It will fit a standard parking space and a sleeping berth inside and still get you into the boonies. Mileage? Well that may be a different story. Not sure what they get. My wife and I can sleep in our 4Runner when desert camping.

Old 05-05-2021, 12:01 AM
Supporter

You gotta know the ins and outs of RVing in So.Cal. There are places you can spend the night with no hassles in OC....Diego is a bit different as they have clamped down more. A state pass will allow you to at least use the dump station. Many guys live F/T in their campers and then hang at the beach all day. There are even websites / forums that talk about free camping. Put in the effort and you will find them. GL....

Old 05-05-2021, 01:00 AM
Supporter

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/05/0...hes-will-come/

Old 05-05-2021, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Haha ! My wife keeps talking about "getting an RV" so that we can "save money on hotels". And I keep trying to tell her that, unless you traveled half-the-year, it makes no economic sense ! You pay extra DMV, insurance, and have gas mileage that is SO poor (and, yes, the RV hookup costs), that by the time you're done, you can get a NICE upper-crust hotel room. Doh !
Yeah, my parents had the same thing. We could travel and stay at beautiful hotels for a decade averaging about 1 or 2 hotels a year, and we still didn't pay 1/5 of the cost for an RV, not including the annual fee you have to pay per car.

But back on the subject, I'll run off to the big dry sand beaches and let the waves do its thing.

If someone is feeling bored and generous, could you come to CA and shovel back all the sand?

Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:24 AM

Hey, some lady could lose her gold ring there TOMORROW.