Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

Default Coin condition for bank deposits

I'm finding a lot of zincolns while detecting, and many of them are in bad shape. Some of them look like crescent moons and some of them look whole, but are badly pitted. However, they are all recognizable as once being a genuine US penny.

What are your opinions about depositing these at your local bank? In other words, how bad must a coin be before a bank won't take them?

My understanding is that the US Mint will accent any US coin, regardless of condition, as long as you can determine its denomination and confirm its authenticity. But how do most banks handle this?

I'm guessing it's a case-by-case basis and each bank and/or manager will have their own discretion in how they treat really beat up coins?

Old 05-03-2021, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

I actually have a good bank teller that I met while I was coin roll hunting a year ago,he knows I detect and he'll accept any coins that don't have any dirt and isn't corroded. The zinclons go away.

John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:39 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Metal detecto View post
I actually have a good bank teller that I met while I was coin roll hunting a year ago,he knows I detect and he'll accept any coins that don't have any dirt and isn't corroded. The zinclons go away.
I think most bank employees would do the same.

What did you mean when you said the zincolns "go away?"

Old 05-03-2021, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by mh9162013 View post
I think most bank employees would do the same.

What did you mean when you said the zincolns "go away?"
They go in the trash or if you have a junk yard near you they might take that.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:32 PM
Supporter

I have heard people roll them into rolls to get rid of. I have done nothing with mine personally. One day I bought a few beers with some modern dollar coins I found otherwise they go into the 5 gallon water jug I am trying to fill since started. About 1/6th the way there after 2 plus years. Gonna be awhile.

Anaconda NX6 Gravedigger sidekick Clad 2021@140.23 Silvers@34 Gold@0 .925@3

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:40 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Jed Carroll View post
I have heard people roll them into rolls to get rid of. I have done nothing with mine personally. One day I bought a few beers with some modern dollar coins I found otherwise they go into the 5 gallon water jug I am trying to fill since started. About 1/6th the way there after 2 plus years. Gonna be awhile.
I figured as a practical matter, this could be done. Although I'd hate to be dishonest with a bank, let alone be dishonest over what amounts to literally a few cents here and there.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Supporter

I figured as a practical matter, this could be done. Although I'd hate to be dishonest with a bank, let alone be dishonest over what amounts to literally a few cents here and there.
Dishonest with the bank
The history of banks practices and honesty leave little to no pity from me. I would give either of my banks crappy coins and not care. I have also been told that the coin counters at credit unions and banks accept more coins then a coinstar

Anaconda NX6 Gravedigger sidekick Clad 2021@140.23 Silvers@34 Gold@0 .925@3

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Elite Member

Banks are not required to accept any money and certainly not damaged money. Even the federal government will not take back corroded zincolns the last time i checked. I tumble the ones i find and inspect them. The bad ones go in the trash and the better ones go thru the coin counting machine at my credit union.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
Banks are not required to accept any money and certainly not damaged money. Even the federal government will not take back corroded zincolns the last time i checked. I tumble the ones i find and inspect them. The bad ones go in the trash and the better ones go thru the coin counting machine at my credit union.
I think you are incorrect:

https://www.usmint.gov/news/consumer...d-coin-program

However, here's a key phrase: "Bent or partial coins that are not readily and clearly identifiable as to the genuineness and denomination of the coins"

All of my mutilated coins are clearly identifiable as pennies, in my opinion. And I think most others would agree. You give the average person my mutilated coins, I'm confident most would say that "they appear to be pennies." But is that enough for the US Mint? That's what I don't know.

And for the time being, it's a suspended program. But presumably, it will be resumed. And if that's the case, is it worth it for me to keep zincolns in bad shape? Perhaps not...

Old 05-09-2021, 03:00 PM
Elite Member

I think you are incorrect:

https://www.usmint.gov/news/consumer...d-coin-program

However, here's a key phrase: "Bent or partial coins that are not readily and clearly identifiable as to the genuineness and denomination of the coins"

All of my mutilated coins are clearly identifiable as pennies, in my opinion. And I think most others would agree. You give the average person my mutilated coins, I'm confident most would say that "they appear to be pennies." But is that enough for the US Mint? That's what I don't know.

And for the time being, it's a suspended program. But presumably, it will be resumed. And if that's the case, is it worth it for me to keep zincolns in bad shape? Perhaps not...
The reason i said that they would not take back corroded zincolns was the program has been suspended for years. I was saving all those worthless things until i found out that the program was suspended and that was a number of years ago.

When they were taking them they were paying by the pound. If memory serves it was $1.49 per pound. And you had to pay shipping. Not worth the effort.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
The reason i said that they would not take back corroded zincolns was the program has been suspended for years. I was saving all those worthless things until i found out that the program was suspended and that was a number of years ago.

When they were taking them they were paying by the pound. If memory serves it was $1.49 per pound. And you had to pay shipping. Not worth the effort.
That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:17 PM
Elite Member

I tumble them and pull out the worst ones. I just put them in a container and maybe someday if I ever have a trip going by a federal reserve bank I may try and turn them in. It does seem to be true that coin counters at bank and credit unions are less sensitive that coinstars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2021, 06:55 PM
Supporter

Not sure as itís been years since Iíve used a bank. I toss zincolns not worth my time.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:05 AM

Iím so poor I swing a crappy Bounty Hunter and even I wonít waste my time on crusty trash can pennies. Throw the damn things away.

My dad used to say that some people will work harder trying to steal a nickel than to earn a dime. He was a wise man.

Just throw them in the trash can.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Supporter

Just throw them in the trash where they belong. I wouldn't even donate them to a good cause. They shouldn't even be making pennies anymore.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:24 AM
Administrator

You guys are going to hurt the feelings of Felixthecat he loves those crusty worthless zincs... maybe contact him and he will pay you for them

Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 1032

Old 05-04-2021, 09:11 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
You guys are going to hurt the feelings of Felixthecat he loves those crusty worthless zincs... maybe contact him and he will pay you for them
As many of you may know, I find enough of them on my own but Craig doesn't. Please feel free to send them to him and you can deduct it as a "charitable contribution" on your taxes.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
As many of you may know, I find enough of them on my own but Craig doesn't. Please feel free to send them to him and you can deduct it as a "charitable contribution" on your taxes.
Hey felix, I'll send you some crusty zincs, will you clean them up and send them to red cross for me? I'll let you keep half for cleaning fees.

Josh

Old 05-04-2021, 11:27 AM
Elite Member

just clean them with tumbler and rocks and detergent get the loose dirt and grime off. roll them and tell the bank person these need to go back to the mint. they are ugly. your tax money paid to have them minted.. so cash them in. no problem at my bank. they separate ratty paper money to go back and do the same with bad coins. i just put them in rolls together if real bad. semi ugly goes with good ones. they spend... but check them all , found a semi key date the other day cleaning.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:20 AM
Supporter

The real crusty ones i drop in the house plants good for them, might be good in your garden as well .

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future. Collect Philippines coins as a hobby