A tricky mechanism from riding stable

TDB_digs

Hello! Just joined the forum and thought I'd jump right in!

I found this heavy brass(?), bronze(?) object in the yard of my girlfriends mother. Her house used to be a riding stable. It was built in the very early 1900s. This thing clearly has some age, and obviously some specific use. It looks to be off of some sort of mechanism, my guess is that it rotated on the fat pins sticking out either side. Possibly the barbs around the rounded part clicked into some sort of stops, like a winch does?

Anyway, it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out what it could be. I'd love to be able to tell the owner what it is! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_3860.jpg
    IMG_3860.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 243
Not sure what the technical name is, but I believe it is a ratchet for a come along type device. The pointed end would fit into a gear and stop movement.

Thanks! Being a riding stable, I would Imagine the property was bigger than it currently is (on a residential street now). So I'd guess there was a barn of some sort nearby.
A come along definitely makes sense, or some sort of ratcheting hoist. I couldn't find any images of a come along with that shape of piece, or anything that wasn't mostly iron, but the teeth on this thing are a definite clue to it's use.
And thanks for the vocabulary. "Come along" and "Pawl" both added to my dictionary. Should help in future research. Right?

Back
Top Bottom