Some finds at an 1800's farm house

waltr

Elite Member
This farm house existed in 1857 but unknown how much earlier. Aerial photos show a roof in 1938 and no roof in 1948.
Been there a number of times and the newest junk are plastic shotgun shells and these are heavily weathered so guessing maybe 1960/70's.

LOTS and LOTS of iron, steel sheeting and nails. About 95% of nails are cut but some look like they may be square (hand forged). Found a few house shoes, cast iron door and shutter parts, and misc odds and ends.

But there have been some big surprises.

Pictures of a few of the best finds:

Bell: without the iron clapper. Maybe a Door bell or for horse cart?
Date?

Spoons: left two are pewter, next is unknown but might be same as the bell, right is cast iron that might have had a baked enamel/ceramic on it.

US coins: 1901 Indian Head, 1919 & 1916 Buffalo.

British coin: King George I Half penny, 1723.

Colonial Shoe buckle, brass.

Oval cast brass buckle. Attachment method could be Civil war or after. This looks to be the same size and shape as both US & CS oval buckle.

Is this a post CW civilian buckle?
OR possibly a CW buckle that someone filed off the raised rim and letters?
Note two 'grind' marks on the back side bottom. Could maker/army marks have been there and removed?

Attachments

• IMG_9829 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9829 (Large).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,259
  • IMG_9830 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9830 (Large).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_9827 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9827 (Large).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • IMG_9828 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9828 (Large).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,300
  • IMG_9821 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9821 (Large).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,299
  • IMG_9826 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9826 (Large).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,198
  • IMG_9825 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9825 (Large).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • IMG_9820 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9820 (Large).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,243
  • IMG_9819 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9819 (Large).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,240
  • IMG_9822 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9822 (Large).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMG_9824 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9824 (Large).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,249
  • IMG_9823 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9823 (Large).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,211
Hey nice finds.

The buckle may be CSA. From what I've read a lot of the stuff they used were unmarked and plain looking as they needed to manufacture supplies cheaply. The north had the extra money to spend on fancy buckles and such.

I found a flat horse bridle rosette once and some CW experts told me it is probable to be CSA for that reason, not everything was labeled, specially if you were not an officer.

The front does look like I see a faint V or upside down A.

Thanks for the response on the oval buckle.

As you said 'may be' which is a good answer to many items we find.
I see the 'A' you point out but it is asymmetric, left is vertical and right at an angle. Also the angle is smaller than the letter A in CSA and in the wrong place. Looking closely at the buckle, in my hand, this is just an artifact of wear, coloring/patina, and lighting.

Been doing a little more research on CW buckles and seem most were stamped sheet brass then back filled with lead.
But have seen posted others that were solid brass casting like the one I have.
Any thought on solid brass casting??

Anyway it does seem to be around mid 1800's.

This old farm house site has been interesting. Only early 1900 coins except for the 1723 KG. Anything else I have been able to date is very late 1800's or very early 1900's. My guess is this was never a 1700's home site but the family brought old 1700's stuff with them.
Keep thinking I'll find a half dime next.

It is only some of the pewter and iron work that may be earlier 1800's but this is only guessing.

I'll be sorting through and cleaning all the nails I've found and getting pictures to post. Some of these nails I find interesting.

Last edited:
Looks early pound that good

Love the buckle and all spoons would of thought more buttons are there

Certainly a nice collection of artifacts and coins. The site certainly has a lot of potential. Never know what all that iron might be hiding. With patience you might find something really special. Good luck on your future hunts.:yes:

Thanks everyone. Yes, big potential.
One Buffalo and the KG halfpenny were hiding under iron, A door hinge and a 1 1/2" ring. I plan to go back over the areas I clean the iron out of with more sensitivity/gain and/or a different coil.

Most objects have only been 2-4 inches deep but the Shoe buckle was 7 inches. It took a bit of digging before my pin pointer found it. So might need a bigger digging tool.

I found one small button like object but not sure if it is a button or a snap cover. It is brass and looks like a numeral '1' on the face. I'll be taking and posting more pictures so will be sure to include this. Agree, I thought I would find some buttons.

I did find 2 "hosiery fasteners" with a name and patent dates. Google showed a full page ad in the Dry Goods Reporter from 1902 describing the courts upholding the patent and warning about prosecution of patent violators. They seem to be 1889 to maybe 1900.

There are a bunch of other odds and end as well as some great iron pieces. will be posting pictures of these also.

I would look up

Regulation 1808 Pattern shoulder belt plate

..for your oval buckle

Wow, wow that's it --Thank you.
That is the clue I needed.

It is a bit older then I guessed.

Any thoughts on the two grind marks on the back?
Looks like someone remover maker makes.

Last edited:
Ok, more pictures as promised.

First two pictures are all the Iron/steel finds, one pic for each 2-3 hour hunt. Some neat stuff there.
Cast iron shutter and rain gutter parts. Lots of cut/square nails of various sizes. Some unknown cast iron, Barb wire (upper left) and shotgun shells heads. Horse shoe and knife pieces.
Second- another horse shoe, more cut nails, a broken cast iron door lock and an old spark plug (no marking visible).

Pic 3: D.M & Co lock with brass key hole cover. Company went out of business in 1910. Forged spike and ring. Another steel/iron spoon handle.

Pic 4: Misc stuff from top left across then down:
Unknown bracket- silvery brass?
BOYD’S GENUINE PORCELAIN LINED CAP 9, with Zinc screw lid pieces
Two brass parts with rubber diaphragm and tube ??
2- Hosiery fasteners- Velvet Grip, PAT 1-28-80 & 12-31-85
4- chromed brass for leather bug flap.
Brass lid?
Pock knife
Worked piece of flint
Cast iron fork for 1700's
cast iron draw pull, PAT 18??

Pic 5 & 6:
Barasol cap (shaving cream?), upper right are brass, right most is thin (might be a decorative cap for a metal rod).
Bottom right: button or snap cover or type writer key "1"??
It is 9/16 inch diameter.
Last is bottom views.

Attachments

• IMG_9835 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9835 (Medium).jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_9834 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9834 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 834
  • IMG_9833 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9833 (Medium).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 745