Hot tip on a clad dump

Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, it was very interesting. Right behind the dumpsters is an embankment going down about 10 feet, to a little runoff. The top part is poured concrete sloping down from a retaining wall. The bare concrete shows for about one to two feet, before it turns to grass. Many of the coins were found right on the concrete. The lint trap guy must be deaf! It is boggling to think a guy who makes his living from coin operated machines, just does not notice he is throwing coins away, as they jingle and bounce off the concrete! There were screws, bobby pins, buttons, the ring I found, and somebody's dope smokin' tool too. I left because it was getting late, and I wasn't getting any more dime or quarter signals. I was still reading a few pennies and who knows what else. I won't rush back there, but I won't forget this spot!
I noticed there was only a light coating of lint dust around there, so I would assume the main lint would be tossed in a dumpster. That's where I draw the line...sort of. :laughing:

Im not brave enough to hunt residential curb strips without permission since the homeowner takes care of them. Have you ever been chased off?

Mostly, nobody says anything. A couple people have been straight up jerks about it. A couple have asked politely enough that I don't do that in front of their place. I always move on in those cases...no problem. Several people have been friendly, and sometimes curious. A few have turned into permissions.
Overall, it's far more good than bad.

I noticed there was only a light coating of lint dust around there, so I would assume the main lint would be tossed in a dumpster. That's where I draw the line...sort of. :laughing:

Tbh, I probably would've jumped into the dumpster if I saw lint in it, given how much you found in the lint outside of it. :laughing:

Tbh, I probably would've jumped into the dumpster if I saw lint in it, given how much you found in the lint outside of it. :laughing:

Funny you should say that! Theres guys up here that will dive right into a dumpster for empty aluminum cans! They are worth a dime each for the rebate, so you can imagine, after a Football game or something, around the Stadiums...a guy pops the dumpster lid and takes a look to voidere the nights activity.....

OH MY! Theres gotta be $10 worth of cans in here! ....Damndest thing you ever seen! An old grown Man climbing in or out of a dumpster!? Wallowing around in the filth like Oscar the Grouch? Humans throw away some amazingly valuable things though, and I've done lots dirtier duty to make a nickel when I was on the Board..wearing a suit and tie......so hey..yeah...I'm going in!..:laughing:

Attachments

• cans 62213.jpg
    cans 62213.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 44
Funny you should say that! Theres guys up here that will dive right into a dumpster for empty aluminum cans! They are worth a dime each for the rebate, so you can imagine, after a Football game or something, around the Stadiums...a guy pops the dumpster lid and takes a look to voidere the nights activity.....

OH MY! Theres gotta be $10 worth of cans in here! ....Damndest thing you ever seen! An old grown Man climbing in or out of a dumpster!? Wallowing around in the filth like Oscar the Grouch? Humans throw away some amazingly valuable things though, and I've done lots dirtier duty to make a nickel when I was on the Board..wearing a suit and tie......so hey..yeah...I'm going in!..:laughing:

There's a guy on youtube who does videos like that. His name his 'thubprint', came across him when I was researching about scrapping old appliances. Later I saw that his channel is full of dumpster diving videos, he would go around the neighbourhoods before they pick up the recycling bins and take out all the empty bottles. He'd make a fair amount of money too.

Humans throw away some amazingly valuable things though

That is very true. Where I live we've got bulk rubbish collections going on now, so I've been collecting a bunch of stuff off the streets. It's crazy what, and how much, people throw out. I collect mostly the cords from old appliances, last year I made over $100 in two weeks just from collecting cords and this year I'm doing well too. There's some pretty interesting stuff out there too. Last week I found two reels of electrical wire. Brand new, they cost $150 at the local hardware store! And yesterday I found some fancy graphing calculator that'll sell for about $80 too. Makes you wonder why they chuck this stuff out.

Nice tip, and good haul!

I don’t mind clad hunting when there is no alternative. It keeps the skills up and builds confidence in my machine. I never thought of the laundromat angle, but I did find the location where the city street sweepers dump their loads. I just can’t bring myself to stick a hand in there, but there could be treasure:no:!

Back
Top Bottom